Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Jib Elevation  Bottom

• Hello, I've sailed very casually (no racing and little to no instruction) for awhile, but recently bought a new Getaway and am loving it. My point is I am not very knowledgeable about the finer points of rigging.

To me, it always looks like the jib is set too low per the manual with the bottom of the jib well below the bottom of the main. The manual has the tack set to a shackle on the forestay by the furler, and then the head has a tensioning line to the other end (top) of the forestay. This tensioning line is about a foot long. If the rig was reversed with the head shackled to the top and the tensioner at the tack, the whole jib would be maybe 10 inches higher. It seems like that would allow it to direct more air over the main and thus more power, give more clearance on the front trampoline, but also raise the force center up a bit. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?

Edited by chris.labianco on Oct 12, 2017 - 11:33 AM.
  • chris.labiancoIf the rig was reversed with the head shackled to the top and the tensioner at the clew, the whole jib would be maybe 10 inches higher. It seems like that would allow it to direct more air over the main and thus more power, give more clearance on the front trampoline, but also raise the force center up a bit. Has anyone tried this? Any thoughts?

yes a few thoughts:
    the hobie company has it correct - there has been endless (and countless) hours and dollars spent on r&d by every race team (ever)

It is actually higher than "optimal" for speed and performance - but as a trade off - you can have little kids up on the front tramp (and even adults if you like to get wet) - but again, not optimal for "racing"

chris.labiancoIf the rig was reversed with the head shackled to the top and the tensioner at the clew ...

fyi - the jib is fastened at the head and tack - jib sheets attach at the clew

Edited by MN3 on Oct 12, 2017 - 01:50 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.