Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rigging a self tacking jib  Bottom

• I need some help guys. I recently upgraded from a Prindle 16 to and Prindle 19 MX. The MX that I bought was a serious racing machine that competed in the GT300 (www.gt300.com), a race from South Padre Island, Texas to Galveston, Texas on open waters over 4 days/legs. But I bought it from a guy that used this boat to learn how to sail on and so neither him or me realized what went where. This came with more blocks and lines than west marine...
    So I have the cat setup in my backyard and going through everything. Just need to understand the jib now. So for my first dumb question,

What is the name of the pole that makes the cat look like a unicorn?
    and how does that rig?
    Ill be posting some pictures of the setup tomorrow with daylight.

--
    Costa Brava
    Prindle 19 MX (La Santa Maria)
    Prindle 16 (La Pinta)
    Ranger 28 (La Nina)
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    --
  • Im in corpus christi as well with a Supercat 19x with a self tacking jib. Might be a similar setup. Send me a pm so i can get in touch with you, you are welcome to check out how my self tacking jib is set up.

-jeff
  • QuoteWhat is the name of the pole that makes the cat look like a unicorn?
    and how does that rig?

spinnaker pole - attaches at 1 end to the center of the front beam (via hardware riveted into beam)
    other end of pole attaches via at a set of bridal lines that attach at the bow tips

1 line under the jib pulls the entire pole up to add a "positive"/pre bend in the pole (eliminates the pole from inverting down during use)

a series of additional lines may also be used to further secure the pole - like at the tangs where your bow bridals attach. I don't use those for several reasons. 1. i don't race and can address an issue without losing a race, 2. they add extra gear to get caught in while rigging or capsized and it's already a nightmare with all the lines the spinnaker adds to ... everywhere - i currently don't use my spin, just makes it easier with less gear to fuss with - for the limited use

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129139&g2_serialNumber=4

jdlgIm in corpus christi as well with a Supercat 19x with a self tacking jib. Might be a similar setup. Send me a pm so i can get in touch with you, you are welcome to check out how my self tacking jib is set up.

-jeff

Would be great to post this data publicly so others can benefit from the knowledge

Edited by MN3 on Oct 03, 2017 - 11:17 AM.
  • The bag on the pole is to store the star dust ...
  • AndinistaThe bag on the pole is to store the star dust ...

haha! Exactly right!
  • costabravaI need some help guys. I recently upgraded from a Prindle 16 to and Prindle 19 MX. The MX that I bought was a serious racing machine...

Welcome costabrava!

You have made quite a jump in performance, the Prindle 19 was a beast to begin with, then Randy Smyth basically created special sails that turned it into the Prindle 19 MX, the Prindle 19 MX was a real handful in a breeze and didn't have a spinnaker.

Now adding a spinnaker to the 19 MX for a 300 mile race makes sense but you might want to get a handle on sailing the boat without it first, or maybe not, go for it, will be fun.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures I…he Forums in the forums.
    --
  • Costabrava, track down the original owner and through some pixie dust, aka greenbacks or $$ at him to help you rig the boat.

Also check the Nacra F18, Goodall C2 and Falcon F18 rigging manuals. They will likely help a great deal.
  • DamonLinkous
    You have made quite a jump in performance, the Prindle 19 was a beast to begin with, then Randy Smyth basically created special sails that turned it into the Prindle 19 MX, the Prindle 19 MX was a real handful in a breeze and didn't have a spinnaker.

But self tackers are much less sail area than standard jibs, so the gain in hp will be realized only downwind - spin up

Now adding a spinnaker to the 19 MX for a 300 mile race makes sense but you might want to get a handle on sailing the boat without it first, or maybe not, go for it, will be fun

+1

We have had a couple on our beach
    a good friend purchased the original MX (randy's old boat but different owner), sold it to another local 2 seasons ago

it had a spin but it had no self tacking jib - but had a HUGE overlapping jib

I crewed on the boat a few times (and capsized in shallows coming in very hot to an island for a break) - fast and fun boat

for cruising - the spin is a mixed bag: a TON of additional lines ( laterally everywhere: up your mast, under your tramp, all over your deck, etc), blocks, shackles, parts, sails, etc to maintain and deal with while sailing and off the water handling the boat. Plus windage and weight!

for non racers, we usually suggest they leave the spin at home until they feel the need for it (and have sailed the boat without it until comfortable) - but you will lose some Horse Power down wind ...

They put a fuller on it

for a bunch of reasons:

He's not a racer
    he doesn't need more HP on this rocket
    he wanted the ability to depower the boat a lot by furling a jib in a storm

dealing with a non furling jib is a PITA if you like to park - you will watch your boat dance around in any wind and even capsize on anchor, or you have to manually drop/furl every time you park

Edited by MN3 on Oct 03, 2017 - 01:46 PM.

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.