Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

hobie 16 glueing  Bottom

• https://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/wwwcatsail/archives/v3-i2/feature1.htm

there was talk about using mold release before epoxying on one of the hobie forums,
    Gary's article refers to heating corner castings to 140 F if you ever need to get it back apart,.. thoughts?
    I cant ever get these links right icon_frown

Edited by carl2 on Sep 21, 2017 - 04:29 PM.
  • Thoughts on what?

Yes, if you ever need to take apart a glued Hobie, you will either have had to use mold release on the castings before gluing or you will need to heat up the metal parts to soften the epoxy to disassemble.

sm
  • thoughts on using mold release,
    so it doesn't inhibit the curing of the epoxy in any way and many people have used mold release , thanks for clearing that up for me
    I should have been more specific.

getting ready to glue one and am looking for advice on mold release vs heating if it needs to come apart, does the heating cause problems with the hull or the tramp, things like that

Edited by carl2 on Sep 22, 2017 - 09:23 AM.
  • Mold release will not inhibit the curing of the epoxy. I would definitely do this if you think you will ever want to take the boat apart in the future. You can either spray on PVA or wipe on a paste wax.

I would only use heat if absolutely necessary and be careful using heat around the boat because you could damage the hull or other components if they get too hot. I would definitely wrap a wet towel around the pylon to act as a heat sink if using a heat gun. Dealing with the mess of semi-molten epoxy is not going to be fun either.

sm
  • Quoteso it doesn't inhibit the curing of the epoxy in any way and many people have used mold release , thanks for clearing that up for me

when i do epoxy/gelcoat work on boats or foils i use turtle wax or whatever i have around and do a quick coat in area's that could get a drip or drop of epoxy. after it dries it just needs a little pressure from a finger nail and it pops off

mold release will do the same x100

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.