Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Doh - Foiled again!  Bottom

• Foiling lasers are like bull riding rodeos, if you get an 8 second ride, you will be a world champion!

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Maybe this is what we will be seeing in NZ for the next Americas Cup. Appears that NZ is going to slow way down and go to monohulls. Not what I was thinking when I was rooting for them to win.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Yeah, going back to monohulls after racing monster foiling cats will be like going from a Ferrari to Pinto!!!! icon_biggrin

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • i am not upset at all - we have just witnessed and benefited from the most ground breaking advances in the sport since the invention of the sail

i am a multi huller - 100%
    but foiling monos at this level are cool as dry ice

these are fast fast fast boats and although they will be slower than multis, it can still be a great show

the last AC was pretty boring to many cat sailors - and this slower speed may turn out to be much more exciting (and bring more people into the sport)
  • These are always fun to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gK60RZDtnT8

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Here is another way to go across the bay:

https://vimeo.com/233169047

Going really fast and taking care of business too! icon_cool

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • HOLLLLY CRAP!
    that looks amazing
  • If you're going to get foiled, you may as well do it on a beachcat, no?

https://youtu.be/36an3hUI3AA

(I should try call my mom from the trapeze wire next time...)

Edited by martin_langhoff on Sep 15, 2017 - 05:18 PM.
  • The trick is to look really casual.

Maybe do a handstand while on the trapeze and call your mom??

Your boat does look amazing. Cool that your son thinks so too.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • Martin, just curious ... what happens if you hit patched of seagrass while on foil?
    how do you handle seagrass on the boards?
  • Good question! Depends on whether we're foiling, speed and seagrass density. Note that the foils' vertical struts have negative rake, so anything caught there tends to slide upwards...

If we're foiling, going fast, and the seagrass patch is not too dense, we catch very little, cut some, and the rest slides off quick. If we're foiling slow and/or the patch is very dense, we slow down, stop foiling... swear some.

If we aren't foiling, we catch a ton of it, and requires manual removal, with lots of swearing because of the rake...
  • That is what i expected
    we have sooo much grass in our bay and even gulf ... it has proven to be a foil fowler (we had hobie tri foilers try, and WindRider Rave - all fail

Quote we catch very little, cut some, and the rest slides off quick

What do you mean cut some?
  • I think the foils, at speed, get to literally cut some of them. The leading edge of the foils isn't a knife, but can cut the skin of your shin if you walk into it, as a friend of mine can attest.

Maybe I'm imagining things -- keeping the boat under control while foiling takes all of my attention, so I'm not looking. In any case, light to moderate seagrass we get through ok when foiling, and clears out quick.
  • cool
    i was lifting rudders and boards all day yesterday
    was dreaming of a system that actually runs a razor up and down the board to quickly clear them....

martin_langhoffI think the foils, at speed, get to literally cut some of them. The leading edge of the foils isn't a knife, but can cut the skin of your shin if you walk into it, as a friend of mine can attest.

Maybe I'm imagining things -- keeping the boat under control while foiling takes all of my attention, so I'm not looking. In any case, light to moderate seagrass we get through ok when foiling, and clears out quick.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.