Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Starter Cat: Prindle 16 or Supercat 17  Bottom

• My college-aged sons and I have been sailing a Sunfish for a few years and are looking to move up to a catamaran to sail on an inline lake in SC. I have line of sight to Supercat 17, Nacra 5.2 and Prindle 16 sailboats. The conditions vary, but my question is which would you recommend for single sailing and sometimes as many as four? Thanks in advance, Mike
  • I have had a prindle 16, a nacra 5.2, and currently have a Supercat 19. I would go for the supercat 17. More buoyancy in the hulls forward, can carry more weight. While not as common to find as the Prindle 16, you can get every part for it within an easy call or email to Aquarius. And the supercat is faster. But again, condition and price of each of the boats should have an impact on your decision.

Edited by jdlg on Sep 08, 2017 - 07:03 PM.
  • I just saw a Supercat 17 on craigs list.... looked pretty nice. I would take that over the P16 and N5.2.

May also want to consider a Prindle 18 if you're planing on having a few folks aboard for a cruise.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • You will soon tire raising the Supercat mast. Pete
  • How tall is a Supercat mast and how much does it weigh in comparison to the 26ft mast of a H16?

Edited by martyr on Sep 09, 2017 - 10:23 AM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Sc17 and 19 masts are 28ft. They are heavy masts but they are sweet boats. I'd suffer the heavy mast over the other boats

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • Thanks to all for their thoughtful responses. Mike
  • I'm another Supercat fan, there are several gin pole designs you can construct easily to make it safe and quick to raise and lower the mast, in the technical album here.
  • Even if it weighs more a Supercat 17 mast is easier than any Nacra (with spreaders) mast. Supercat 17 is the best choice of this group for the stated purpose.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.