Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 mast  Bottom

• Anyone know the reason why the mast hinge is rotated to the side on a Prindle 18 to raise and lower as it puts the diamond wires on a bad angle? It puts the forestay to the side of the mast.

--
    Larry
    Mirage Tandem Island -sold
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --
  • It was designed that way.
    The P 18s and the 19 have the same step system.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhaldIt was designed that way.

and most nacras
  • Welcome Larry.

Yes-It's different. And the mast is heavy.

You'll notice that mast ball is set in the casting, flush w the beam and not elevated on a striker rod. Rotation works great w this setup and the side stepping brackets add security when it is really needed. Complicates things when stepping though.

I would recommend putting a strong shackle on the front starboard trap/bungee connection, so you can easily disconnect there and then run that trap to your winch when stepping.

Also advise that you don't overcrank the winch or leave the mast unsupported below 45 degrees. There is a lot of twisting torque that can easily bend your pins and tear rivets loose.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Thanks to all.
    nohuhu I am new to the boat ("I would recommend putting a strong shackle on the front starboard trap/bungee connection, so you can easily disconnect there and then run that trap to your winch when stepping. ") ?? Do you have a picture of the connection. I am thinking you are saying the front bungee by the hull 6"hatch ??. Thanks again for all the help.

Larry

--
    Larry
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --
  • That's correct. The bungee that tensions the bottom of your trap lines is usually tied on with a bowlline knot. Put a shackle between them instead so you can quickly disconnect the trap line and move it to the front when stepping.

The shackle or stainless carabiner you use should be rated for the hundreds of pounds of load that the mast will exert when it is supported by the trap alone.

For that matter, you could use 2 traps, one from each side. Each w a shackle.

Bonus: They could be used as spare shackles when you need one out on the water.

Where are you Larry? Hopefully not south Florida.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • nohuhuThat's correct. The bungee that tensions the bottom of your trap lines is usually tied on with a bowlline knot. Put a shackle between them instead so you can quickly disconnect the trap line and move it to the front when stepping.

The shackle or stainless carabiner you use should be rated for the hundreds of pounds of load that the mast will exert when it is supported by the trap alone.

For that matter, you could use 2 traps, one from each side. Each w a shackle.

Bonus: They could be used as spare shackles when you need one out on the water.

Where are you Larry? Hopefully not south Florida.

Yes in Lakeland, Florida getting ready for IRMA. Clearing the yard and big tie downs for the boats. Not sure yet if I will fill the hulls with water or not.

Just got her last Saturday and here comes IRMA.

--
    Larry
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --
  • QuoteThat's correct. The bungee that tensions the bottom of your trap lines is usually tied on with a bowlline knot. Put a shackle between them instead so you can quickly disconnect the trap line and move it to the front when stepping.

Why not just tie a line from the rotator to something on the front beam?
    just curious - i have no first hand experience with needing to do this
  • MN3Why not just tie a line from the rotator to something on the front beam?
    just curious - i have no first hand experience with needing to do this

The rotator points aft, and is too high to secure the mast on the ball. I think Nohuhu is talking about using both forward trap cables to winch the mast upright- which is a good idea that I will try. I have tried using just the forestay but the lateral twist wanted the mast to swing out into the parking lot as it came up.

The two trap cables will be of different length, as one is wrapped around the backside of the mast, so a piece of line will be needed to allow both cables to share the load equally and not produce twist. Two cables adds strength and safety to the situation.

You could forgo the whole shackle situation by using Hobie style clips to attach the bungie, and the line previously mentioned to connect the trap cables, with a loop tied in the exact spot needed to equally distribute the load. Vinyl or tape will be good to cover the cable where it could abrade the mast.

Wahoo! Thanks Nohuhu! I'm on it.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteThe rotator points aft, and is too high to secure the mast on the ball. I think Nohuhu is talking about using both forward trap cables to winch the mast upright- which is a good idea that I will try.

Oh. i thought he meant this was for keeping the mast rotated 90* during stepping
    When i used to use a gin-pole the trap wires went to the beam, both p&S to stop any sway in the mast (from wind or other)...
  • Sheet In, MN3, and Nohuhu; Thanks to all for the reply’s. This is the first cat with a mast that has to be side stepped that I have had. I got it last Saturday and have not had time to play with it as I still work full time. I watched the previous owner bend the hinge when he brought it down for me to transport home.
    It seems to me that I need a way to lift from the direct opposite side of the mast from the hinge. The side sway could be handled by holding the shrouds while you raise the mast. I can see where raising by the masthorn on the side would be a lot of strain on the mast and hinge. I have mounts a winch to the mast stand and will come up with a back stand to have a decent angle to raise from.
    I have time to work this out as Irma is coming to visit this weekend, so will be busy getting ready to hunker down for her to blow over. Are there more types of cat’s that have this side hinge? Any ideas would be welcome.
    Thanks again for all the help.

icon_biggrin

--
    Larry
    Hobie Bravo -sold
    1979 Prindle 18 Sold
    2019 Hobie Getaway
    Polk City, Florida
    --
  • larryhtsAnyone know the reason why the mast hinge is rotated to the side on a Prindle 18 to raise and lower as it puts the diamond wires on a bad angle? It puts the forestay to the side of the mast.

This is a question I too had asked way back when. To counter this I have just made my rear mast carrier high enough that the diamond wires are not touching the rear beam.. Made for a little bit of a challenge when trying to get the mast hing set up when single handed but getting up it past that 'awkward moment" where the weight of the mast is really fighting you seemed to have went away. I went to a cheap phillips head screw driver in place of the pin that came with it for securing the mast hing to the mast.

I have even seen a few times where people would put their boats on the trailer backwards so the rear of the boat was facing the rear of the vehicle. This seemed to make single handed stepping a lot easier too... I tried it once, and it was easier, but it just didn't sit right with my OCD brian when I was looking at parked in my driveway.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • MN3
    klozhaldIt was designed that way.

and most nacras

All of the NACRA's I have owned had a captive mast ball system. I wish NACRA would have gone to the Prindle system.. There were a few times where the mast popped out and made for some interesting gymnastic maneuvers. icon_lol

That said, I use to tun my 5.8, Inter 20, and F18 mast on the side as it made it a little easier to get the pin securely in.

https://www.murrays.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/56-6605_2.jpg

Edited by JohnES on Sep 08, 2017 - 04:55 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I have no issues stepping my 19 solo. I use an 8 foot ladder behind the boat about where the foreatay attaches and set the mast on that. It then is a matter of hooking my 3:1 purchase to a starboard trap wire, then to the trailer and I lead the line over the tramp. From there I go to the back of the tramp and just run the mast up and forward quickly and then reach down for the line and pull it tight. Simple as that. Coming down I do it reverse but I let the purchase ease it down about 3 or 4 feet and then walk it right back to the ladder.

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.