Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Righting technique  Bottom

• I had the pleasure of flipping the boat recently, and given the courage that comes after being thrust into the deep end of the pool, I gave in to my daughter who has been wanting to flip the catamaran for practice (some crap they learned at sailing school). We did this twice over two days.

What I learned, or am concluding, is that it is critical to have your weight as far out and down towards the water as possible in order to right the boat. Sounds obvious but can be forgotten when in the mix.

On the first day, a pontoon boat came by and a friendly neighbor jumped on the hull with me. He stayed on the stern, forcing me to stay near the cross-bar. This resulted in positioning our combined weight (both grown men) closer to the boat, not the water, and we had a hell of a time getting it up. On the second day, my daughter and I, alone, got on the righting line in the dead middle, positioning our weight (she is 16) well down and out. It righted much easier.

The difference in positioning in the two events did not seem that dramatic, but maybe was. Just wanted to pass this along and see if anyone had similar observations.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • I agree. Particularly if there's a significant difference in skipper vs. crew weight, it's hard to keep the boat balanced fore/aft, and you're likely to fall of if it see-saws (especially when the hulls are nicely polished!). This just leads to more fatigue/frustration, making the operation even more difficult.

I use a single righting line that's thrown over the skyward hull at the front beam with the lighter person "stacked" above the heavier one. It's very stable, but you need to coordinate "climbing" the line as the boat comes up. This method also leaves you under the boat right at the dolphin striker (which you need to grab quickly to prevent the boat from capsizing in the other direction under certain conditions).

Edited by rattlenhum on Aug 27, 2017 - 11:55 AM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Jerome, can you post info on the hospitality regatta?

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • The only thing I would add is to have a split tail at end of righting line so that stacked people are not getting in each others way. Side by side pulling on line is much easier. Don't know why it took me 40 years to figure it out. Pete
  • What about using a cut off ski rope? Never thought of it before but they have a pretty big handle.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • Hobie 16, go to Murrey's and order the Hawaian righting line. Done deal. Practice until it is easy. Have fun and dont forget to Turtle it at practice (if the water is deep enough)

--
    "Of course it's safe"
    --
  • tnellJerome, can you post info on the hospitality regatta?

Nothing official yet, but it's scheduled for October 28 & 29.

http://www.jacksonyachtcl…Racing/JYC-Regattas.aspx

Edited by rattlenhum on Aug 28, 2017 - 06:15 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • pbegleThe only thing I would add is to have a split tail at end of righting line so that stacked people are not getting in each others way. Side by side pulling on line is much easier. Don't know why it took me 40 years to figure it out. Pete

Bloody brilliant!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • afvenom,

I have never been able to right a turtled cat. As I understand it, you get way back on the stern and attach a line diagonally to the opposite hull and lean back. Not ever seeing a Hawaiian righting line, does this work well for righting when it has gone turtle.
  • QuoteI have never been able to right a turtled cat. As I understand it, you get way back on the stern and attach a line diagonal

I have solo righted turtled Nacra 5.7, Nacra 5.0, Hobie 18 Magnum, & the Dart 15, though the little girly Dart Cat hardly counts, as my grandma could right that.
    Whether you stand on the stern or bows depends on the boat, the idea being you need to sink the hull somewhat to get it to roll. On the small Dart, it's easy, small hulls, so stand on the stern. With the others mentioned I have always stood on the bow. My weight will drive it under, the Cat will then roll onto it's side. As it rolls, if you are nimble you "walk" onto the side of the hull, which is now horizontal. In one instance with the N5.7 I hiked out as it rolled & got it back up in one motion. Of course this depends on your mast being sealed, a flooded mast is not coming up.
    Just use your normal righting line- it's probably tied to the DS rod. Run it under the upwind hull, then diagonally back to the corner where you will stand. Use the tramp,beam to get up on the hull, then using the line as an aid to balance work out to the end of the hull, & hike. Some have also used the main halyard, but it's usually a skinny line, hard to hold.
    The trick is to stay on the end, hiked. As the hull goes down, the boat will roll. The little Dart-teens right it from turtle.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I'm 225 lbs and solo right an Inter 20 regularly. I throw the righting line (which is attached to the top of the dolphin striker above the main beam) over the high hull. Attached to the righting line is 150 lbs capacity water bag with line/pulley/cleat assembly. I fill the bag with water and hoist it up about 2 feet out of the water. Then I wrap the righting line around my trapeze hook (don't tie for safety reasons) and lean back until I am almost prone. The water bag is over my shoulders at that point, and the boat slowly goes over. Besides the water bag, the key is to use the trap hook to be able to lean back for as long as it takes. Best feeling in the world when it starts to come back over. Really, the best...

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.