Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Freak Summer Squall  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I found these 3 videos from goodall design to be very helpful
    they focus on cf rudders but the tech they use is transferable

lots of great tips and tech in here
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TyWSnAvI9A (this is 1 of 3)

that is a pretty serious repair - can def be done but gonna require it be cleaned up and built back up with glass then you have to match the gel-coat with tint

If you have experience working with composites, this shouldn't be impossible for you but you may want to actually talk to a pro about how they would handle it

Edited by MN3 on Aug 24, 2017 - 10:38 AM.
  • Awesome story and great job telling it. And really good job keeping your head despite all that went wrong and how bad it must have seemed at the time. I've added some of your pictures into the story, they are great too.

dmydlackhttps://goo.gl/photos/oVEDJEqEtUnCmyTE8
    Freak line of summer squalls flip-beached me on an island; umbrella-huddled most of the afternoon lightning all around. Almost made it back to the dock! Helicopters and fire dept. searching for lost kayakers.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result." Winston Churchill

My version of this I say to fellow beachcat sailors when things seem to be going down hill...

"Bad Times Make Great Stories!"

dmydlack
    It was probably an omen that I forgot the rudder pins on the kitchen counter back home. I had the mast up and was ready to back down the boat launch when I discovered it. I was twelve types of bummed (really glad no one was around to see me chew myself out.) It’s funny how right when almost all of your brain is kicking the stuffing out of yourself publicly, a tiny corner of the faculties is off hatching a solution. I zoomed to a local Home Depot. An aluminum rod, a drill bit and new cotter pins, a cheap hacksaw. I was in the water in an hour.

I'm guessing it was a long way home and back? Also, don't let anyone tell you there are pintles on your Prindle 16 icon_biggrin Prindle and Hobie 16's use gudgeons and pins, not pintles. Those things you made at the hardware store are indeed called Rudder Pins since one long pin goes through both gudgeons.

http://rigrite.com/Hardwa…are/Pintles&Gudgeons.php

(I'm aware that the original Prindle assembly manual and parts guide called the pins pintles icon_smile but you might have trouble finding a package of Prindle 16 Pintles.)

Glad you made it back to tell the tale, and told it so well.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thank you!

--
    Prindle 16
    --
  • The Chesapeake can be a fickle mistress!

Thanks for sharing and glad all turned out alright!

--
    2001 H16E (European Boat) Sail #108348 Cabo
    1991 H14T
    2006 Bravo
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.