Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

1981 GCat 5.0 Jib and Main Sheet Rigging Pics  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• MN3
    QuoteThe question was how to rig a G-Cat, presumably as it was designed

OP said when he purchased the boat the jib was rigged through grommets on his tramp. This was not rigged as per the old 5.0 manual. nothing wrong with doing it that way. Every method of rigging has its pros & cons

Specifically, the questions was about how to rig his jib now that his new gear (tramp) did not include the grommets the old system was utilizing. It was suggested he provide images of his current gear and look at the manual in the second response to his post. The links were posted 5 times above? no real need for you to repeat all that data.

It was also posted to the OP "we will have to see what you got and recommend how to rig it (or follow the set up manual)"

The designer / creator of G-cat doesn't rig his 5.0 (currently) the way that old manual shows (I sailed with him saturday and was looking at his set up )Edited by MN3 on Aug 22, 2017 - 08:30 AM.

The designer has a highly modified gcat with a reacher, among other advanced features. So not the best comparison if he's going for a stock setup... i know your point is you can modify things many ways and/or rig things differently. Fair enough, but if someone is going for a stock rig, my suggestion is pertinent.

Edited by jsb4g on Aug 23, 2017 - 08:01 AM.
  • rockypointbobI recently purchased an 81 GCat 5.0 but she's needing a lot of TLC. Already received lots of good advice from this forum.

Anyone have some pics of the jib and main sheet (no boom) rigging? I'm going to have to replace it all and while I could probably figure it out eventually, it would be great to have some pics to go by.

Thanks

If you need rigging specs, pm me...I have OEM specs for all standing and running rigging. .. length, size, etc....to my knowledge, it is not available anywhere publicly.
  • QuoteThe designer has a highly modified gcat with a reacher, among other advanced features. So not the best comparison if he's going for a stock setup...

you just keep trying to prove me wrong or discredit what I say- and you really don't know what you are talking about

the only thing "modern design" about this 35 year old cat is the sail

This was 4 days ago
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128688&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by MN3 on Aug 23, 2017 - 08:37 AM.
  • http://
    MN3
    QuoteThe designer has a highly modified gcat with a reacher, among other advanced features. So not the best comparison if he's going for a stock setup...

you just keep trying to prove me wrong or discredit what I say- and you really don't know what you are talking about

the only thing "modern design" about this 35 year old cat is the sail

This was 4 days ago
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128688&g2_serialNumber=3Edited by MN3 on Aug 23, 2017 - 08:37 AM.

Ha. To name a few, no boom (requires significant change to sail plan according to sail makers you have recommended) downhaul is upgraded and radically different from stock, crossbeam came from 5.7 production line as it has cleats for the 5.7 style barber haul (maybe something his company did with overstock since cross beams are otherwise the same and I've seen it before). However, he does appear to be using the std 5.0 barberhauler setup.

Edited by jsb4g on Aug 23, 2017 - 01:28 PM.
  • When you state a boat has been "highly modified , among other advanced features" and the truth is it has added a few better blocks .... your miles apart from being accurate

Quotedownhaul is upgraded

nothing highly modified about adding some additional turning blocks and better cleat to a Cunningham system-

Quote crossbeam came from 5.7 production line as it has cleats for the 5.7 style barber haul.

Hans used the same extrusion - do adding turning blocks at the end make it highly modified ? (btw- this is not in use-
    currently not even reeved)

QuoteHowever, he does appear to be using the std 5.0 barberhauler setup.

not using the setup as the manual - if that is what you are calling "standard"

This is all old school technology, blocks and cleats
    same old design, albeit he has improved upon the setup by adding additional turns for better response to his sheeting and for his needs (fast sailing) -

i believe that was my point the entire time -
    Most recreational,non OD racers sailors start with what hardware they have on hand and add if needed to make work, and modify over time to best fit their needs
    - ymmv

Quote if someone is going for a stock rig, my suggestion is pertinent.

You are the only one who has mentioned Stock rigging

Edited by MN3 on Aug 23, 2017 - 01:38 PM.
  • Deleted. Not worth the waste of time.

Edited by jsb4g on Aug 23, 2017 - 07:59 PM.
  • Could be time for MN3 and jsb4g to go sailing and have a beer or five together. prost Pretty sure you share the Florida West Coast.

But don't start agreeing on anything, it would hurt the page views for the site. ticktick

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkousCould be time for MN3 and jsb4g to go sailing and have a beer or five together. prost Pretty sure you share the Florida West Coast.

But don't start agreeing on anything, it would hurt the page views for the site. ticktick

wall

Edited by jsb4g on Aug 23, 2017 - 08:03 PM.
  • jsb4gHave you ever rigged a GCat yourself? I think not.

rig solo? nope

rig as knowledgeable crew who knows how every system on the boat works and can solo helm without issue - dozens and dozens of times - i crew on a 5.0 and 5.7's and handle aspect and line from the main to the spin halyard. "Stock" reeving and many "non stock setups" - what's your point?

MN3the only thing "modern design" about this 35 year old cat is the sail

jsb4gYou said the only difference was sails.

if your so hung up on what I said ... - please re-inspect

Quote It may be that the only thing that is original is the barberhauler set up and the hulls.

so your saying that g-cats can be rigged all sorts of ways besides the manual, right?
    What's your point - cause that was mine

carry on
  • liar

MN3
    jsb4gHave you ever rigged a GCat yourself? I think not.

rig solo? nope

rig as knowledgeable crew who knows how every system on the boat works and can solo helm without issue - dozens and dozens of times - i crew on a 5.0 and 5.7's and handle aspect and line from the main to the spin halyard. "Stock" reeving and many "non stock setups" - what's your point?

MN3the only thing "modern design" about this 35 year old cat is the sail

jsb4gYou said the only difference was sails.

if your so hung up on what I said ... - please re-inspect

Quote It may be that the only thing that is original is the barberhauler set up and the hulls.

so your saying that g-cats can be rigged all sorts of ways besides the manual, right?
    What's your point - cause that was mine

carry on

Edited by jsb4g on Aug 23, 2017 - 08:50 PM.
  • So you think i am not telling the truth about crewing (and solo sailing) on g-cats over the past 18 years that i have sailed catamaran in the area ?

I have nothing to gain by lying about this - just like i have nothing to gain by engaging with you

jsb4g liar

MN3
    jsb4gHave you ever rigged a GCat yourself? I think not.

rig solo? nope

• Newb here, also curious about the jib system for a G-Cat 5.0

Can someone help me understand what the blue line is and how to utilize it?

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128882&g2_serialNumber=3

Edited by selkie on Aug 29, 2017 - 11:20 AM.
  • Prindle 19 manual says this about that

"To side to side lead:
    Set at 8” inboard in light air.
    Move position outboard as wind picks up
    until lead is about 2 to 5 inches inboard
    when you are a little overpowered.
    You may find in certain downwind conditions
    that having the barberhauler (option and
    seperate from the four-way jib system) all
    the way out is too far for proper wind flow.
    In medium to heavy conditions setting the
    barber 8 to 15 inches from fully outboard is
    optimum."
  • This info is for another type of jib system and barberhauler

carl2Prindle 19 manual says this about that

"To side to side lead:Set at 8” inboard in light air. Move position outboard as wind picks up until lead is about 2 to 5 inches inboard when you are a little overpowered. You may find in certain downwind conditions that having the barberhauler (option and seperate from the four-way jib system) all the way out is too far for proper wind flow. In medium to heavy conditions setting the barber 8 to 15 inches from fully outboard is optimum."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteCan someone help me understand what the blue line is and how to utilize it?

The blue line is one type of in / outhaul system (looks like the setup used in the manual - or damn close)

this is used to change the position of the jib block and optimize windflow over your sails and increase speed/fun - (can also be used to depower when there is too much "fun" (wind) )

IN GENERAL: ceteris paribus ...

Upwind - you want the jib blocks "more" in-board
    and in light wind and waves - forward

Downwind - you want the blocks "more" out-board
    and some times forward

by pulling the bitter end (the end of the line) and cleating it you will change the position of the jib blocks, in or out. There is no forward or aft "feature" with this setup - and people looking for more options may add another dedicated system (forward, on or near the front beam) -
  • selkieNewb here, also curious about the jib system for a G-Cat 5.0

Can someone help me understand what the blue line is and how to utilize it?

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128882&g2_serialNumber=3Edited by selkie on Aug 29, 2017 - 11:20 AM.

This is the stock/original jib setup on the GCat 5.0. In the manual (both the written one and the diagram), the blue line is referred to as the barberhauler. As my nemesis said, let out down wind, and pull in when sailing up wind.
  • MN3This info is for another type of jib system and barberhauler

carl2Prindle 19 manual says this about that

"To side to side lead:Set at 8” inboard in light air. Move position outboard as wind picks up until lead is about 2 to 5 inches inboard when you are a little overpowered. You may find in certain downwind conditions that having the barberhauler (option and seperate from the four-way jib system) all the way out is too far for proper wind flow. In medium to heavy conditions setting the barber 8 to 15 inches from fully outboard is optimum."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QuoteCan someone help me understand what the blue line is and how to utilize it?

The blue line is one type of in / outhaul system (looks like the setup used in the manual - or damn close)

this is used to change the position of the jib block and optimize windflow over your sails and increase speed/fun - (can also be used to depower when there is too much "fun" (wind) )

IN GENERAL: ceteris paribus ...

Upwind - you want the jib blocks "more" in-board
    and in light wind and waves - forward

Downwind - you want the blocks "more" out-board
    and some times forward

by pulling the bitter end (the end of the line) and cleating it you will change the position of the jib blocks, in or out. There is no forward or aft "feature" with this setup - and people looking for more options may add another dedicated system (forward, on or near the front beam) -

For once, we agree on something re GCat.
  • out of curiosity ,do you have line/cleat or clip down rudder system?

Edited by jsb4g on Aug 29, 2017 - 02:22 PM.
  • Moved to new thread

Edited by carl2 on Aug 29, 2017 - 03:26 PM.
  • MN3 & jsb4g Thank you both, extremely helpful. Glad to see you both in agreement!

jsb4g It is the clip down rudder system.
  • Quotebut I wonder why the Prindle 19 manual would tell you to move them in for lighter air..

I don't think that is wrong:

(upwind) Start (or set) them inboard and move them more and more out as the wind picks up and you get overpowered

that is accurate and what i do on my boat too (which is VERY similar boat in design)

I would argue that is correct on all beach cats that i have ever seen or sailed as well.

The thing i was calling out is the OP is a self claimed -newb, and the p19 manual is talking about a 6 way system (4 way + "barberhauler").
    The gcat manual refers to the barberhauler as what most people calls the jib outhaul system and this could all be very confusing to some

Edited by MN3 on Aug 29, 2017 - 03:32 PM.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.