Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

sunburns and smiles  Bottom

• how's it going y'all? if you read my first post ya know I bought a hobie 16 for $100 bucks well that's closer to $320 with replacing parts that were missing and or bad,a used trampoline and main sheet block assembly along with new main and jib halyards from ben with salt city sailing thank you so much for the excellent price and fast shipping. I also ordered up new drain plugs and a few other odds and ends from ebay, then comes the gallon of resin. I have severe delamination of the forward hulls a foot back from the bridle all the way to the pylons, I know I should trash the hulls but I wanted to go sailing now so I fixed them the best way I could, I used the basic drill and inject method that everyone swears by with only 1 change I took a old drain plug drilled it out for a air fitting and a regulator and pressurized the hulls to 5 to 7 psi I also found leaks around my pylons and gudgeons. I'm really happy to say that I took my hobie out yesterday and after some trailer problems unloading and 10mph winds at my back I now know how to not unload a hobie never putting sails up on the trailer again I wish some of you were there to witness just how funny it was. After about an hour of sailing no pops or crunching sounds coming from the hulls, pulled off onto a beach and figured out what was wrong with the main sheet assembly, we had the main sheet coming out of the tension cleat on the traveler going directly to the center cleat... oops well got it figured out and it works so much better, there wasn't enough wind to fly a hull but enough to really get going and start that rudder hum. during this week I'm going to make spacers for the rudders out of milk jugs and file the back of the rudders and tune up a few other things, Ohh I also learned the hard way to make sure you hook up the mast step pin before you lower the mast, I was lowering it, looked down at it and thought oops back up I started pushing it and it came out shot towards my truck as I caught it with 1 hit on the rear tramp frame I was lucky. Moral of the story no matter how much bad stuff happens the second you catch the wind everything else disappears and you have a nice sunburn and smiling waiting to go out next weekend

--
    Tim geyer
    1980 hobie 16 "last chance"
    Fairview heights IL
    --
  • Awesome that you had a good day of sailing. The Hobie 16 is a lot of fun for sure! You should check out Matt Miller's instructional video on You Tube. It has a lot of good info.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Tim - all sounds great (and par for the course)

glad you had wind and everything seemed right

I have seen countless people rig the boat on the trailer, even some backwards, then ask me "what next?" and my answer is "take down your sails before you flip and i'll show you" :)

And Mary is right about Matt - nice and helpful guy, and is also very active on the hobie forums and defiantly a great resource for everything hobie
  • Where I launch at hazlet there are rocks everywhere so now I'm going to launch it with the sails on the tramp and paddle to a mud beach then raise the sails. The only bummer is that the beach is 100-150 feet away but that will be easier. I'm still figuring everything out on this boat, Friday night was a hectic rush to inject the last hull and put the new trampoline on it. Worth every bit of work I've put into it, I'm having a blast so far and I can't complain.

--
    Tim geyer
    1980 hobie 16 "last chance"
    Fairview heights IL
    --
  • Mary???? Lol.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Fix, sail, repeat. That how many get started, and hooked on cats. After a bit, the fix goes down, and fun goes up. Welcome aboard.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • martyrMary???? Lol.

sorry Marty, typing on a lap top at 3am

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.