Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

When a $2 whistle is the piece of equipment that saves your life.  Bottom

• Chicago to Mackinac Race Man Overboard in the Night

https://www.spinsheet.com…race-man-overboard-night

Here is Hampton sailor Mark Wheeler’s first-hand account of being that man overboard in the night during the 289-nautical-mile Chicago Mackinac Race last week onboard the Farr 400 Meridian X:
  • I know of a few other stories where a whistle (or flashlight) attached to a lifejacket helped save a mariner's life. Don't know if they are mandatory on racing boats (as they are on merchant vessels) but if not they should be.
  • A whistle is a necessary piece of equipment but was useless to me when I was launched from my boat last year. I now have a strobe permanently attached to my pfd and a waterproof 2 way radio to shore at all times (where such a thing will work). Never skimp on safety measures and your safety plan!! As silly little thing can turn life or death very quickly on the water. Mn3 you have pounded this into our heads for years and the more I sail the more anal I get about triple checking everything and having backups for my backups.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Agree with all. Each vest has a whistle, a flare and a radio.
    The whistle is tied to the vest, the flare is in an elastic strap that also holds a knife, and the radio is in a pouch on the other side of the PFD.
    A CD to use as a signal device during the day would be a good addition.
    Might have to brush up on Morse Code, but SOS is pretty simple.
    icon_wink

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • everybody needs it. we also have whistles for our kits we can use during earthquakes

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.