Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Dolphin striker adjustment and parts  Bottom

• Dolphin striker adjustment frozen at mast base and wondering if any tips ?? I also looking for source for parts and need new trapeze ?
  • what kind of boat?

pics?
  • P18, w/ corrosion issues.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • Guy, Murrays and SaltyDog have new parts. SaltyDog has complete rigging and line kits, a good place to see overall what parts you might need to replace.

The P18 skipper and crew trap lines share a pigtail connection to the mast.

If you want to use an adjustable height trap setup, check into getting slightly shorter trap lines. Mine, from Murrays are too long. Inquire w the retailer about this before ordering.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • QuoteP18, w/ corrosion issues.

Gotcha

I am not personally familiar with the prindle DS
  • Sorry everyone but yes it's a Prindle 18 and the dolphin catcher has a adjustment under the mast and mine is frozen. Thanks for information about the trapeze.
  • Screw the nylon mast pivot ball off (You've done this already, right? If it is tight it will lock the DS in place. Use channel lock pliers to break it loose.) and brush off any corrosion from the threads and casting.
    Liberally squirt Liquid Wrench (or something similar) at the threads in the casting and let it soak in.
    Gently tap the DS with something heavy (hammer or crescent wrench) below the crossbar to help coerce the LW into the threads. The vibration helps draw the fluid in.
    Do the same on the threads above the crossbar but use a small piece of wood in between the hammer and DS.
    Try to unscrew the DS.
    Repeat the process every hour on a Saturday until you can rotate the DS.

Edited by klozhald on Jul 27, 2017 - 12:22 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I'm not familiar with the Prindle setup, but if it is like the Hobie dolphin strikers, then there is most likely an aluminum compression sleeve that goes over the striker post and is inserted inside the crossbar. Over time, this sleeve will corrode and seize onto the post. No amount of liquid wrench is going to free it.

Depending on how the crossbar and dolphin striker are set up, you may be able to loosen the ends of the striker rod (the part that extends to the outboard ends of the crossbar) and then loosen the top nut on the striker post and drop the assembly out from the bottom of the crossbar. Then cut off the compression sleeve, clean the post, install a new sleeve (with Tef-gel) and re-assemble. But if the arrangement is like the Hobe setup, then the only way to remove the post is by lifting it out the top of the crossbar, which means you have to cut the bottom nut off the post and then lift out the assembly.

sm
  • No sleeve is listed on the parts inventory. Just a 10.75" rod.

To tension the striker assembly, the P18 bible sez:

- Remove the top 1/2 round mast ball
    - Loosen the screw at the bottom of the striker bar (bottom the V-brace)
    - Put a crescent wrench on the flattened indent of the striker rod. Turn clockwise to tighten the assembly,..

So it looks like the bottom screw and possibly the mast ball are what locks the rod in place.

Always check the bolts that connect the v brace to the beam. Do not over-tighten.

You have a copy of the manual, Expo?

--
    Prindle 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.