Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Lake Michigan Float Plan  Bottom

• As we all know there's no planning a sailing trip more than a couple days in advance, however I've been planning a few day sail to circumnavigate Beaver Island in northern Lake Michigan. A tentative plan of attack would be possibly departing from leland then sailing north past the manitou islands and the fox islands. This route is about 125 miles. My brother and I are planning on taking his Prindle 16 and sleeping on the beach wherever we make landfall...

Couple questions I had for the community here:

What's a good water tight bag/box? Last year I had a rubber water proof bag for a similar trip but everything got wet inside.

I've sailed past this area in the Chicago to Mac race but never cruised it in a beach cat. Anything worthy of mention from someone with local knowledge?

And finally anyone want to join us??

Beaver Island:
    http://www.bibco.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/is42-1325525447-92126.jpeg

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Hey Kevin,
    Sounds like a good time, a couple things,

We are racing in Muskegon this coming weekend with CRAM, you should come up. There will be quite a few Hobie 16's that you can race against.

When are you guys doing the trip?

I hear the the currents up that way can be wild and the wind shifty and strong. I've also done a couple Mack races and didn't quite pick that up but we know that those boats are A LOT heavier and we were further off shore.

Sounds like you know this but send your float plan to the coast guard. I've heard of at least two cases of them finding abandoned catamarans with the sails up and not knowing who they belonged to.

I've had good luck with thus guy and the cell phone sized one for a couple years. https://www.walmart.com/i…ht-Dry-Box-Blue/26674163 The UV rays will kill the gaskets after a while and you'll have to buy a new one. For your clothes and stuff I would imagine that a roll top waterproof should do fine since you are just trying to protect against splash.

Good luck, have fun, and please report back on how the trip goes. I don't know if I can join this year but maybe I'll find a boat with wings that I can do it on next year. :)

-Cesar

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • I have sailed out of Leland to camp on North Manitou on my H16. I went by myself and do not think that I could have carried another person and gear. It was a lot of fun, but as I rounded the North end of the island the wind died on me and I ended up paddling to shore. I also hooked a salmon trolling on the way over, that was a hoot.
    I had all of my gear in my internal frame backpack and it stayed bone dry (on the inside at least), I also had a cooler which was mounted on a shelf designed for this purpose in front of the Dolphin striker and under the jib. The cooler, which took the brunt of the waves that came over the bow did not fair well. It filled up with water and the food that I had hoped would stay dry did not and all of my ice melted prematurely.
    I had scheduled a return trip with a friend on my G-Cat 5.7 last year but he showed up at the marina drunk and instead of leaving the !@#$%^ at the dock watching me sail away, I opted to cruise the beach instead.
    I have wanted to do the trip you are talking about for some time. I don't think I would do it on my H16 due to the amount of gear and food I would have to carry - sitting that low in the water on lake Michigan makes for many miserable and wet miles. Unfortunately, I do not have any sailing friends and I doubt I could get the G-Cat back upright, after capsizing, by myself (I intend to take it out to the local lake this weekend and find out).
    The buddy system sounds like the way to go. I would be interested in the trip, but I have a feeling scheduling would be an issue. When do you intend to attempt it? This time of the year is probably the most stable the weather is going to get but I would worry about the possibility of the wind not showing up when you need it to (especially towards the evening and early in the morning).
  • Guys, thanks for the reply. We're planning on leaving around Monday August 21st. We used a roll top bag last year and it didn't do us much good. Everything was soaked. Granted that was an old old bag. We're considering getting a hard cooler and mounting it across the hulls in front of the mast like you suggested. Would have to be a nice cooler though. We both had intentions of buying a 18 or 20footer with wings for something like this. We both have been too busy though with work and other hobbies. Maybe next year. Actually our original intention was to sail from Indiana up there and get picked up, but with the little Prindle that's a stretch.

Let me know if you're free week beginning August 20!

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • the walmart dry boxes work fine for a season or 2 - i spray the hinges with wd40 or similar to extend their life

roll up dry bags are fine to use as long as:
    a. they have no holes in them
    b. you give them enough "rolls" to make sure they are air tight (can test by squeezing the bag)

It is hard to believe they would fail as long as those 2 items are true

Re: cooler on bows
    As mentioned mgriff - not a good spot for them - i know h16's used to have that cooler frame (shelf) but hobies (esp the 18) are too low and your gonna get a soggy pbj from that cooler

A backpack may or may not be a good call too - i brought one on a canoe trip one year - that was a very soggy trip and EVERYTHING inside my pack was soaked - the ONLY way i would carry one again is if i had a heavy duty plastic bag inside it (sealed) - and at that point ... why carry a pack with a frame ? (i removed that frame and do occasionally use the pack for camping) (edit) - that was a million years ago and i am sure weatherproofing is a common feature now - my bag had a few drawstrings to stop items from falling out but was far from waterproof)

Quote This route is about 125 miles. My brother and I are planning on taking his Prindle 16

wow - i can't imagine how 2 adults can carry enough gear for that long of a trip on a single prindle 16 - best of luck

QuoteWe're considering getting a hard cooler and mounting it across the hulls in front of the mast like you suggested.

Windage (slow), weight forward of DS (think pitch pole) and a lot of "stopping power" with any wave you hit (again slow)
    I wouldn't do it

Edited by MN3 on Jul 26, 2017 - 05:16 PM.
  • Sorry, Kevin, but the protocol for a trip like that is two phone calls. In 1975, CRAM had a regatta in St Joesph, Mi near bottom of lake. Don Sapikowski called & said "let's sail it home". I lived in St Clair Shores on Lake St Clair. I said "Don, that's too far, but if you find someone to bring a trailer to Mackinaw Island, I'll go". 2nd phone call "Donahue will bring trailer". OK, you bring this, I'll bring that, etc. We left St Jo at 6:00 pm after regatta on Sunday & sailed until 3:00 am into Ludington harbor. Had Bob Dylan blasting on tape deck on boom of Prindle 16 (there were no 18's those days except Sol 18's). Ferry whistle at 8:00 am shook us up off tramp & after breakfast in a place called "Hardware Store", we headed up lake with SW wind behind us. Worried about loosing the rig in a jibe (blowing 20 now), we jibed when we saw a Coho Salmon fleet congregated near river mouths. Around Point Betsie with big seas, we broke a rudder casting (the old kind that Hobie put a sieze & desist order on). Surfing into shore & running 100' up a dune we borrowed a tool to replace the only spare part we carried. Late afternoon we made Platte River & walked a mile to a restaurant for a chicken dinner. Walking back to beach, a tourist coming to see sunset said "did you guys sail past Frankfort today ?" Yes, we said. "You were going 100 mph & we never did see the boat, only yellow sails". Made our day. Next day slow sail to Charlevoix, but we cooked a steak on little stove on tramp. Walked into a bar in town in our wet suits & ordered two hamburgers each, then found a room in old Victorian house on the lake. Last day slow sail to the Island, but impressive going under the bridge. And Donahue was waiting with trailer in Mac City. Pete
  • I have been using SeaLine dry bags for a few years with good results. I use a 30L for trips 5 days and less and a 55L for longer trips. They work well but are not fool proof, you need to make sure the black rubber gaskets match up before you do your folds, and if you overfill the bag you won't get the folds you need. Used correctly they keep everything bone dry for me, even in a capsize. Not sure if you have any backpacking expierence but depending on how many days you'll be out there that's how you'll need to pack to keep weight and windage down. Dehydrated food and water purification. If you get the store bought dehydrated meals I find lasagna and mac and cheese taste the most like home. Sawyer makes an awesome inexpensive water purification system. Let us know how it goes, I do some long weekends on my H16 with a friend and gear and we keep it pretty bare bones.
  • pbegleWe left St Jo at 6:00 pm after regatta on Sunday & sailed until 3:00 am into Ludington harbor.

Were you wearing headlamps?
    Bob Dylan kept you awake until 3 AM sailing in the dark?
    How did you navigate, and gauge your distance from shore?
    That it some hard-core distance sailing on a beachcat.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • We went out about 17 miles to clear a point way up the lake. I actually got concerned when couldn't see the shore & made Don turn back a mile til I was reassured. There was daylight til 10 pm, then star & moonlight plus lights on our starboard shore. Was actually the best sail ever especially coming into Ludington harbor with 5 mph signs on every piling & we were doing 15. We wrote it up for Lakeland Boating & they said it was best reader response ever, but can't find it in their archives now. Pete

Edited by pbegle on Jul 27, 2017 - 11:13 AM.
  • Pete that's incredible! Great trip and That eases both my and possibly MN3s concern about the little Prindle.

Jalex thanks for the input on the bag size and meal prep. I'm thinking MREs and I used to have a manual filter pump that screwed on to the top of a nalgene bottle from a canoe trip. I'll try and find that. We learned to pack pretty light from out boy scout days.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • For later trips on Sea of Cortez, I replaced the screw in 6" ports with Viking twist open ports for easier access. Then used glas covered nomex to build 3' compartments in hull. When scored, the glas/nomex bulkhead can be bent to fit into 6" opening. Now all food/drink & clothing is off tramp & in the hulls. Best boats for Lake Michigan are P-16 or P-18 (335#'s) as you can pull them up steep beach when necessary. Can also bungie foot wide 8' long white lattice fencing material to forward deck for non-skid on beach. I never understood why there was never a Michigan 300 race from Indiana dunes to Mackinaw. With mandatory check points, fleet could be kept 3-5 miles offshore of a very sandy beach & consistent SW winds. Pete
  • Well, my trip to the local lake to intentionally put my G-Cat over turned into a BBQ with a lot of kids taking turns riding around the lake. I felt it would be a little disconcerting to their parents if I went out and put the thing on its side (or turtled) in the middle of the lake. It was the first time on our little lake (Portage Lake - Jackson, MI) that I had enough wind to get her on one hull. Oh well.
    So, the backpack that I had used is a pretty hardcore one and I always line it with one of those contractor trash bags (thick).
    The cooler on the front of the boat is exactly as MN3 pointed out. I would not advise it.
    If you can avoid the cooler all together that would be a better way to go, they are not worth the space they consume and detriment to the performance of the boat.
    I have to tell you, I have been out on Michigan a few times and routinely have (on the H16) spent my time crashing through 4 footers. I don't mind this, usually, and it can be fun (you get to surf them coming back - well, if you are better at it than me anyway) but it was always by myself.
    Two men and gear for a week - your looking at 400 to 500 lbs - that would make the H16 very difficult to sail and it would be crashing through 2 foot waves. I have never sailed the Prindle 16, so I do not know how this translates.
    Don't get me wrong, I am all about the adventure, but planning is everything. I am not sure I have enough time to work out what I need to before taking a distance trip. (I am still very green on this G-Cat and need to undergo some catastrophe recovery training before I go on a multiday trip). I will be trying to get it back out there (without kids) but the weather will make the decision for me. If, by chance, the stars align I would go in a heartbeat. It is not very likely though.
    Be safe out there, take nothing for granted and be willing to abort if it becomes too risky.

By the way, I don't know about your wetsuit but mine is like roasting in one of those turkey baking bags my Grandmother used to use at Thanksgiving. Part of the reason I don't mind crashing through waves is that getting wet is the only way to cool off. If you can avoid sailing when the sun is directly overhead, it helps a lot. I have tried to train putting the wetsuit on in the water and have never gotten down to under the amount of time it would take for hypothermia to set in. Not to mention the amount of exertion it takes to do it is going to be working against you the whole time. I usually just wear them on my lower body and, if I go in, I can work it the rest of the way on in the water.
  • Below is a map of potential launch sites, public ramps, and marinas and what not. I've only sailed out of harbor springs so the rest is foreign to me. If someone knows anything aobut any of these areas or another area that has public access I'd like to hear about it. Distances also given on the map. Ultimately the wind will dictate where we launch from.

Distances given in statute miles.

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=128648&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Kevin219 on Aug 14, 2017 - 03:22 PM.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • The option from Charlevoix is obvious and gives the best chance to catch prevailing winds on a favorable reach.

As you get closer, this website might be useful http://sailflow.com/spot/18352

Edited by tominpa on Aug 14, 2017 - 08:28 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • QuoteThe option from Charlevoix is obvious and gives the best chance to catch prevailing winds on a favorable reach.

If the winds do what theyre supposed to, yes we'll probably leave from chalevoix, It's not so as black and white as the picture though.

Leaving from point A means sailing directly over Gray's Reef which means we'll never be in more than 10' of water. Might be cool seeing bottom for 29 miles of crossing.
    Leaving from B has the benefit of a football field size island with a light house in the center of it, this way we will never be out of sight of land.
    Leaving from C I am familar with the water ways here.
    Leaving from F or G means we can island hop our way up there. South fox island in particlular has dunes in the ranks of Sleeping Bear Dunes. Plus, it would be cool to spend the night on such a large unoccupied island.

If we were in a hurry though, Charlevoix would be the obvious choice though youre right.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I never did get back to you all, better late than never though. Trip went better than planned. 97nm in 3 days. spent 2 nights out under the stars on the trampoline. Whoever you are, you should join us next year!

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129490&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=ebcba941d40eccb05dc43dba0ca40a1b

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129502&g2_serialNumber=4

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129494&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • pbegelNow all food/drink & clothing is off tramp & in the hulls.

Pete, is there drainage to the rest of the hull in the compartment you built?
    This sounds like a great solution.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I didn't put drainage in though it could be easily done. The key is using fiberglas covered nomex honeycomb. The bulkheads can be scored & easily bent to fit thru the 6" opening. I still have some scrap (that I'll never throw away) for another job. Nothing like a clean tramp, but storage in the hulls for a 3-4 day trip. Pete
  • https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=129494&g2_serialNumber=4

So you sailed down under from Lake Michigan?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • You referring to the upside down picture? My phone sometimes uploads pictures upside down. I tried flipping one and it was erased. So I just figure would be best to leave good enough alone on this one.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.