Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Overnight beach parking in Dunedin  Bottom

• Mast up storage/parking was brought up on another thread. I was gonna respond but decided to create another thread:

QuoteIt is a general shame that mast up beach storage is no longer a reality in most of the United States. I think that has killed a lot of beach cat sailing off.

It is very frustrating to see people jeopardize out program that we worked hard to get in place and risk our ability to sail more than 1 day.

Details:
    About 7 years ago it was brought up to us local "regulars" that the local township was about to end decades of "boats/trailers" on the causeway

We had about 50 or so sailors, family and regular town people go to city hall for a meeting about this. I somewhat spearheaded this effort.

I personally met with with the city, cops, fwc, and park service - we worked out a solution/deal with the local agencies and the town lawyer wrote up the new law to allow us 2 nights per week mast up storage on our beach in exchange for $100 annual permit (or $10 weekly), self policing, and being good stewards and ambassadors of the town and causeway.

It was discussed and even printed on the permit agreement that this is a Revocable program that can be ended at any time without notice.

they have never towed anyone who doesn't comply ( they did put a warning sticker on 1 boat) so very few people have permits (currently i know of 2 for sure - myself and 1 other)

It is very true that the number of cats on the beach has dwindled to 2 or 3 overnight parking on avg (used to be 10 -15)

I brought this up to a new cat sailor (who has been around as a SUP er for years) and his response was "I'd rather beg for forgiveness that ask for permission - It's certainly not that i can't afford it (he certainly can), but i will wait till someone says something."

I also told another guy who sails a decent amount and often leaves 1 or 2 cats on the beach - he claimed he was told by local police it is only the trailers that are required to have this permit (so he takes his trailer home, leaving the cats). i told him that cop was wrong and pointed him toward the correct info (that is posted all over the causeway)

http://www.dunedingov.com/index.aspx?page=702
    Overnight Car / Boat Trailer Parking:
    A Causeway Storage Permit is required for individuals who wish to leave their vehicle and/or boat trailer on the Causeway past 11 pm. Permits are $10 for a single-use (2 day) permit, or $100 for an annual permit. Annual permit holders may not leave items on the Causeway any more than 2 days in any 7 day period. Causeway Storage Permits are available at the Dunedin Community Center, 1920 Pinehurst Road, (727) 812-4530.

Edited by MN3 on Jul 12, 2017 - 03:25 PM.
  • MN3"I'd rather beg for forgiveness that ask for permission."

Sad commentary, but true of society in general. More and more of the population does not value the ability to enjoy the outdoors enough to respect the rules.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.