Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tough (impossible) decision, help me pick my boat!  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I have just gone through a similar situation in picking the right boat for me. Similar sailing area with a very shallow bay, similar bay access issues, and nearly identical intended use. I REALLY wanted a Hobie 21 SE.

I first bought a Prindle 18 because it was cheap and one block from my house. Once I started sailing it, I realized a bigger boat would generally be a much bigger headache with setup, pulling on and off the trailer, moving around on the beach, and most importantly dagger boards. The Prindle 18 was enough. It was a good lesson to learn CHEAPLY.

I now have a Hobie Getaway, which has more room, floats better, and is easier to setup. I highly recommend you look at a used Getaway and sail it a bit until you decide if you really want to/can step up to the big boats. I found mine for $2,000.

I still have thoughts of a 20+ footer, but my situation isn't quite ready for the dream just yet. One day.

Edited by chump23 on Jul 11, 2017 - 08:52 PM.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • I solo sail my Hobie 21SE where ever I can. I keep it at Lake Monroe Sailing Association on the trailer with the mast up and ready to go...sure it is a beast but with the right setup this beast is a very stable platform for a solo ride or bring a few other out too... icon_cool

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Getaway w/ wings and a motor mount. Now that's a versatile and bulletproof combination. Touring, fishing, diving, camping, partying.

And if you race one, they'll spot you a BIG head start. icon_biggrin

--
    Prindle 18
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.