Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rule Changes for Fast Sailboats  Bottom

• The keeper of the rules, World Sailing, has recognized that "high speed sailing" might need some modifications to the RRS.

I'm not sure how many true rules experts we have here, but I know that these new rules or modifications to the rules are mainly for catamarans racing a course.

They aren't easy to find, so I've posted them for your comments.

First a link to the official RRS as they stand.
    http://www.sailing.org/to…2020-[20946].pdf

This is a document titled
    High Speed Test Rules
    https://www.thebeachcats.…_Test_Rules_v2_0/?page=1

Some of these rules you may have heard mentioned during the AC coverage and they have already been used in the Ultimate Sailing events and the GC32 series.

A lot of these rules could simply be "sport catamaran rules", more room at marks etc. These are up for adoption by the Nacra 17 (Olympic) class with the new foiling MKII version.

What do you think?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Wow, no rule nerds here I guess, thought more people would be interested.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • YES! more sailing rules - thank goodness, i found 92 Rules (with sub rules) way to easy and fun...
  • I skimmed the proposed rules and don't see any significant changes over the existing rules other than maybe the addition of the "boundary" definition which really doesn't apply to your average catamaran race. It is mostly just some minor tweaks to the wording of what's already in place. For example in the definition of finish, they took out the clause "any part of her hull, or crew or equipment in normal position, crosses the finishing line" and replaced with just "any part of her hulls." There was probably confusion on whether the tip of the spinnaker pole should be counted or the tip of the bow. It's good to have clarification, but not really what I would consider a game changer.

You also stated "more room at marks," but according to these proposed rules, the Zone is still three boat lengths, so no change there either.

sm

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.