Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Capsized  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I ordered the Big Cat righting bag from Murray's today..and sailed in nice winds and sunny weather and kept the boat right-side-up. Fun sailing with friends and family.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • MN3
    Quote mast pointing into the wind. Not much I could do to alter that angle.

often standing on the bows will rotate you into the wind .. but i am sure the mast/main and jib (and the one flopping rudder in the water) could effect this.

Simply standing on/near the bow of a capsized boat will weathervane the bows upwind in light to moderate conditions, but in heavy conditions the mainsail may act as a sea anchor and leave the boat mast to wind no matter what you do. I experienced this in some wicked conditions about 10 miles out on a Hobie 16 many years ago. Not taking the time to figure this out, we righted the boat about 6 times, only to have it immediately capsize again.

Once I took some time to figure out the issue, I sheeted the boom up out of the water and was able to correctly position the boat. We then released the main and righted the boat with no problem.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • If you find yourself really overpowered, and singlehanded, there's always the possibility of "dropping" the mainsail. Guys tell me they've done this offshore when it was the only way they could get it up. You could roll the sail up or bungee it to the boom.

I wouldn't try it without a mast float, or something else to prevent turtling. Cats roll pretty fast when you're on the wrong side of the hulls.

--
    Prindle 18
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.