Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

GPS App for i-phone  Bottom

• Does anyone know of a good gps app to be used to navigate to waypoints or destination coordinates?
  • i used motion x-gps for years and tried others
    i liked it best - i only used it to see my top speed (not all that accurate) and the track we took for that date
    kind neat to look at but really - just useless info

IMHO - beachcats and iphones don't mix all that well

using one to read or drop waypoints while underway is very hard to do.

the screen isn't good with sunglasses in the sun, they are not waterproof, nor float, dry cases make it much harder for the touch screen to work, and using gps on your phone kills your battery like no other app. save your battery for important things like bluetooth music, or maybe even calling for help when in real trouble.

the slowest point of sail" is when your eyes are pointed at something besides your sailing

I would strongly suggest you save your phone and go buy a marine gps - they are not all that expensive and will track waypoints easier, upgradable and have accurate charts available

Edited by MN3 on Jun 22, 2017 - 09:38 AM.
  • I agree with every point MN3 makes here.
    Motion-X is be best avail, I tried three other apps, and though I practiced with it for 6 months prior to an ocean race, it was unusable on the water even in high-contrast mode.
    I simply couldn't see it in a waterproof case through my sunglasses.
    It wasn't expensive, but a huge waste of my time.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I haven't used it but YoNav was developed by a friend and is built for sailing.

https://yonav.net/

--
    Ernie Kamp
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TopSpin80#g/u
    Richmond / Livingston / Galveston / Kemah / Texas City, Texas
    Supercat 19 and Blade F16 "Nauti Habit", 2 Sunfish
    --
  • I would have tons of reef rash if were not for NAVIONICS BOATING US marine charts apps for the iPhone. I use it every sail and also for fishing, exploring.

You get access to their expensive "Gold" charts package, but it's dirt cheap and useful on phones with larger screens. The iPad version costs more and is best for motor boats and monohulls. You can record, playback and share your 2D tracks.

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w396/NOHUHU/IMG_9117.png[/URL]

If you want to noodle with 3D, RACEQ's makes a tracking app that will display your recorded tracks on a virtual 3D earth map, allowing you to fly around the boat as it sails around. It's designed for regatta races and is a little flukey, but fun to play with.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • I have used iNavX for a few years now. It has a full range of charts and pretty easy to navigate. I use an iPhone with a Lifeproof case that I keep in my lifejacket. I have an old iPhone 5 that I have it loaded onto and use the 5 as a repeater on a arm band. I used this set-up for the Texas Dash. I run RaceQs in the background so I can look at my track later; also, you can add other boats and compare numbers. iNavX is a $50 app. but, it's a one-time buy. You can also record your track with iNavX also.

--
    Scott

Prindle Fleet 2
    TCDYC

Prindle 18-2 Mod "FrankenKitty"
    Tornado Classic "Fast Furniture"
    Prindle 19 "Mr. Wiggly"
    Nacra 5.8 "De ja vu"
    Nacra 5.0
    Nacra 5.8
    Tornadoes (Reg White)
    --
  • GPS for waypoints and navigation is useful, otherwise I agree that looking at your iphone on board is very unpleasant, you will hate it the minute you find yourself dealing with the app instead of sailing.

I would say the major drawback of using a phone is battery duration, which is much better on real GPS. I heard that it's not because of the gps but because of the screen though. If you use it for watching your speed you would want the screen on all the time. But maybe if you use it very occasionally to check your waypoints without keeping your screen on, it might work. If GPS also eats battery (I don't really know) it can probably be turned on only occasionally too.

In my case I will try to use it just for recording tracks and speed for a limited amount of time, whatever is possible without eating much battery, to make sure that the phone is available for calling, the real reason to have it on board.
  • Another thing to keep in mind about handheld gps, if you carry a handheld vhf with Dsc capability you can connect the gps to it to transmit your position in an emergency. Although once you get above the $200 handheld vhfs these days it seems like many come with built in gps functions, good for emergencies but very useful as a gps

Edited by jalex on Jun 23, 2017 - 07:39 PM.
  • MN3save your battery for important things like bluetooth music

I have had one of these on my boom in offshore races for a couple of years now. A little pricey up front, but shirks off salt water and sounds great from either side.

https://www.amazon.com/At…&sr=8-3&keywords=ue+roll

Listening to ZZ Top's La Grange at full volume while double-trapped is beyond words.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Hauw, hauw, hauw...HAUWW! icon_cool Gotta try that playlist.

The GPS feature eats battery, but you can turn WIFI off while on the water, and run Navionics in the background, with the screen sleeping. I charge my IP7 up before getting on the water, and have plenty of juice for a 2-3 hr run, and a 911 call if needed.

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • klozhald
    MN3save your battery for important things like bluetooth music

I have had one of these on my boom in offshore races for a couple of years now. A little pricey up front, but shirks off salt water and sounds great from either side.

Listening to ZZ Top's La Grange at full volume while double-trapped is beyond words.

I recently purchased my 20th radio (give or take) for my catamaran in the past decade or so
    I remember the "good ole days" (5 or 6 years ago) before bluetoof' when 8 Dcells would last a weekend if you are lucky $$$$ohch

nohuhuI charge my IP7 up before getting on the water, and have plenty of juice for a 2-3 hr run, and a 911 call if needed.

We typically sail for 4 - 6 hours, unlike a decade ago when it was 8-12
  • Quote=nohuhuHauw, hauw, hauw...HAUWW! Gotta try that playlist.

Careful, a long double-trapped tack may well turn that smile into a perma-grin!

Edited by klozhald on Jul 13, 2017 - 10:53 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • MN3I remember the "good ole days" (5 or 6 years ago) before bluetoof' when 8 Dcells would last a weekend if you are lucky $$$$ohch

What did you wrap your 8 D-cell boom box in to keep it dry on board? It had to have been heavy as well.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteWhat did you wrap your 8 D-cell boom box in to keep it dry on board? It had to have been heavy as well

West marine dry bags - it killed the sound quality but didn't care all that much

I have friends who still bring a DEWALT Heavy-Duty Worksite boom box sailing :)

Life sounds much better now with blue tooth
    and i don't mind sailing without a radio too
  • klozhald
    Quote=nohuhu Hauw, hauw, hauw...HAUWW! Gotta try that playlist.

Careful, a long double-trapped tack may well turn that smile into a perma-grin!Edited by klozhald on Jul 13, 2017 - 10:53 AM.

Damn! icon_eek You guys must be good! I haven't mastered solo "single-trapping" yet...

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • "double trapped"

Here is a neat video i made a few years ago
    I threw my go pro on a friends spi pole

https://youtu.be/rcYdEYkw-NQ

Edited by MN3 on Jul 20, 2017 - 04:30 PM.
  • MN3"double trapped"

Here is a neat video i made a few years ago
    I threw my go pro on a friends spi pole

https://youtu.be/rcYdEYkw-NQ

Really nice vid.
    Made me wanna sail right now.
    Awesome crew, too. Strong, good form on the trap, and she was paying attention the whole time. Didn't spill her Bud while trimming the jib.
    Bonus.
    icon_wink

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.