Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Converting H16 Seaway 5:1 to Low Profile Set Up  Bottom

• I came across an article from "On The Wire" written by Roy Tally that explains how to modify the H16 Seaway 5:1 into a low profile set up on the cheap and I am thinking of doing this. I was wondering if anyone had done this and if so, how did it work out? The article is on this site somewhere by the way, but as usual, my link posting skills are lacking, so if anyone who reads this and can post a link to the article, feel free to do so. The title of the article is, "Converting Stock Seaway Blocks to Low Profile Blocks, by Roy Tally"
    I am wanting to know if anyone has done this and what were the results? Also, if anyone has done this, could you please post pictures. Many thanks.

Vol.2 Issue 8 of On The Wire, Tech Tips section for those interested.

Edited by martyr on Jun 12, 2017 - 12:36 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • I have done this both as 5:1 and later as 6:1, It worked very well for me,
    When done the way Roy Tally suggested, the cam cleat angle can only be adjusted by dis-assembling the lower triple block, I later modified mine to mount the cam brackets on the outside of the blocks by reversing the cam brackets and fabricating additional brackets to mount the original ratchet mechanism, this allows easy adjustment of the cam lock angle.
    This system works well, but, it is no where near the performance of a Harken Carbo Ratchematic set-up that I am currently using on my H16 (and my H18 as well)
    But if you have the seaways, and not a lot of money, it will allow you to rake your mast back just like the newer boats

--
    Dave
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    84 H16SE sail #83460
    85 H18SE sail #12610 (sold)
    90 H18SX sail #668
    92 H18MG sail #14967
    81 H18SE sail #4908
    --
  • Thanks for the response. Would you happen to have any pictures of the set up?

--
    Marty
    --
  • I have posted some pics in the albums, they are the best I could find, I last used them on my '85 Hobie 18 as a 7:1, I sold that boat just a few months ago.

--
    Dave
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    84 H16SE sail #83460
    85 H18SE sail #12610 (sold)
    90 H18SX sail #668
    92 H18MG sail #14967
    81 H18SE sail #4908
    --
  • look into harken 40's (or ronstan similars) before you commit to upgrading old ones
    for maybe "not too much more" you could upgrade to new... and newer sailing gear usually helps performance :)

Edited by MN3 on Jun 28, 2017 - 10:14 PM.
  • Thanks for the input and suggestions. I had only stumbled across the article about this and thought it was pretty cool that the orginal 5:1 set up could be reconfigured into a low profile system just by moving some things around. I know it would just be easier to just bite the bullet and purchase a newer 6:1 set up and be done with it but... well maybe next season I'll go ahead and upgrade the main sheet set up, and then there is the jib set up to upgrade as well. All in due time.

Thank you Dave for posting the pics in the technical section, I really appreciate it.

Edited by martyr on Jun 29, 2017 - 03:20 AM.

--
    Marty
    --
  • I currently run this 6:1 Nautos set on my Nacra 5.0. Two seasons and absolutely no issues. Much cheaper than Harken. Note that this set is now standard OEM on the new Hobie T2's (in theory the replacement for the H16).

https://nautos-usa.com/pr…l-set-of-blocks-and-rope

Edited by leeboweffect on Jul 07, 2017 - 12:19 AM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.