Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Lehr outboards?  Bottom

• Not a motor guy, but when I have the girlfriend and the dog I want be able to get home if needed. I like the idea of the Lehr propane outboards. Seems clean and easy, I've read some mixed reviews. Sounds like they are still ironing out some issues. I find propane engines are typically easy to start and reliable, as far as forklifts go at least. What else are people using on cats?

Edited by jalex on May 28, 2017 - 10:28 PM.
  • most use a cheta mount and small outboard
    dont get too much cooler than a torqeedo

I personally carry a paddle - I have paddled home a few miles when i didn't care to wait it out/spend the night in the bay
  • I've got the cheetah mount, came on the boat. Looking for what's super reliable and easy to start. I can't imagine trying to yank a pull chord leaning over the rear cross bar in a seaway. I may justify spending 2k on the torqueedo but I doubt it, not to mention $600 for a spare battery, although if I was looking to save money I probably chose the wrong hobby
  • I have a tohatsu 3.5 that was purchased new a dozen years ago to be mounted behind a g-cat
    it was probably only mounted a dozen times by the previous owner

hardly used until 8 years ago when i purchased it for my jon boat - used a lot around thanksgiving every year (when we camp)

has been incredibly reliable
    now in an ama on a f31R trimeran to be used as a dingy engine on a porta-boate
  • I have the Nissan/ Tohatsu 3.5 2 stroke, cannot fault it.

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • Um, these are sailboats right? Believe me, I know what it's like to be caught in the doldrums but, wouldn't the extra weight of a motor just really slow your sailing down? I don't like the idea of mounting a motor on a beachcat, but that's just me. I've seen it done though. The only advice I have here is to use a paddle.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Quote wouldn't the extra weight of a motor just really slow your sailing down? I don't like the idea of mounting a motor on a beachcat, but that's just me.

No beach catter likes the idea - but sometimes it is needed
    i.e. when your only ramp is into an unfriendly canal or area with strong currents
    or you have a young kid on board that you can''t risk getting stuck out there with
    or you have a wife/gf/etc that can not get stuck out there

I personally was 4 or 5 hours late to a thanksgiving dinner when the wind died - I am not sure the wife ever forgave her husband (the skipper) - that was the last year i think he held on to that "early t-day sail" tradition

PS yes, an additional 50 lbs or so hanging off your rear beam is not optimal for your sailing

Edited by MN3 on May 31, 2017 - 09:54 AM.
  • I've used 2 to 3.5 hp two stroke outboards on 18 to 22' cats for years. It is weight aft, which is less than desirable, so look for the lightest(smallest) short shaft motor you can find, most are in the mid 30 lb range. I did try a Honda 2 hp four stroke once, but it was heavier than equivalent two strokes, and produced a lower top speed, maybe 4 kts on a SC20. Was much quieter though. When I motor out to the main lake for my morning sail (10 minutes) solo, I use an ipod with headphone like ear defenders over the earbuds. And I fabricated motor mounts that allow the motor to tilt up far enough to get the lower unit horizontal, dragging it in chop is really unacceptable. This extra weight aft can be compensated for to some degree, by moving crew weight forward. I had a 2 hp Evinrude on an H18, and that was the smallest boat I'd consider putting an outboard on, and it's low rear beam made it tough to keep the motor out of the water when sailing. The Supercat 20s, and the ARC 22 handle the weight of a 3 to 3.5 hp motor fine, and they will generally cruise at 6 knts in flat water. If it's blowing hard, you're better off sailing than trying to motor in a big seaway, it may not be enough power to keep the bows from blowing off your desired course, and tough to keep the prop in the water if the boat is hobby horsing wildly. Like all small engines, keeping it in tune with fresh fuel, goes a long way to getting it to start reliably. I usually shut off the fuel while still motoring, til it runs dry, tilt up to sail, and open the petcock when the motor is lowered again. This minimizes flooding and hard starting. Drop the motor and get it running well before you need it, to stay out of trouble if it doesn't start quickly. Only buy a motor that starts on the first or second pull.

Adding an outboard adds a degree of complexity to catsailing, but can get you out on the water much more if your launch is in a protected area, and it allows you to venture further from home because you're not fearful of getting stranded if the wind dies. I sail a lot on Flathead Lake in NW Montana, which is a big mountain lake that often has thermal winds blowing nicely on specific bays at certain times, even when high pressure leaves much of the lake like glass, and I'm often willing to motor to wind, play for a couple hours, and motor home if necessary. Increases my glee factor significantly over time.
  • [quote=MN3]
    No beach catter likes the idea - but sometimes it is needed
    i.e. when your only ramp is into an unfriendly canal or area with strong currents
    or you have a young kid on board that you can''t risk getting stuck out there with
    or you have a wife/gf/etc that can not get stuck out there

I personally was 4 or 5 hours late to a thanksgiving dinner when the wind died - I am not sure the wife ever forgave her husband (the skipper) - that was the last year i think he held on to that "early t-day sail" tradition

PS yes, an additional 50 lbs or so hanging off your rear beam is not optimal for your sailingEdited by MN3 on May 31, 2017 - 09:54 AM.

That one was on a Dart 18, I presume ? icon_cool icon_cool

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Quotewouldn't the extra weight of a motor just really slow your sailing down? I don't like the idea of mounting a motor on a beachcat, but that's just me.

When you cross the channel between Long beach and Catalina island and the winds drops, the motor comes in handy for crossing shipping lanes!

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • QuoteThat one was on a Dart 18, I presume ?

Dart 20 - Stampede

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.