Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Scam on Craigslist?  Bottom

• Okay this is weird. I was scrolling through craigslist- Okaloosa county, Fl and came across and ad for a totally refurbished Hobie 16. There are 6 pictures and 2 of them are MY BOAT!!!! WHAT THE HELL??? Yep, there was my boat sitting on the beach, pictures from the CL ad last year when I bought the boat. Sail number 90492, and my boat is definitely not for sale!!!!
    There are other pictures of similar H16's from the Internet also. The ad states that the boat has white rudders and yet one of the pics shows a boat with black rudders.
    I sent the seller a message to remove the pics of my boat and I also contacted craigslist about this being a possible scam.
    Post ID is 6133498253
    I assure you 90492 is sitting here with me covered up, locked up, in my back yard, and is not for sale!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • unfortunately, it happens too often. 'flag' the ad as 'prohibited' at the top and it will be removed.
    also check that they didn't post it in other cities as well by using 'search tempest'.
    good luck!
    j

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • QuoteI assure you 90492 is sitting here with me covered up, locked up, in my back yard, and is not for sale!

I am sorry Marty, I purchased that boat from craigslist - i will be by later (when you're not there to get it)

JK - but you should be proud of your pretty boat - she's so pretty that other people WISH their boat looked as good and LIE and use your pics as their own.

Happens to me all the time on dating apps - people steal my pic and use it (jk)

If it really bothers you - you can put a copyright notice on any pics you post and then you can sue (or at least scare) the crap out of people who steal/use your photos
  • Thanks so much guys, and thanks for the comment about my boat being pretty, I think she's just the most beautiful Hobie 16 I have ever seen. Funny the pic that was posted in the ad was the one that sold me on the boat in the original ad a year ago. I received a message from the seller stating that they hoped I was wrong about the pics not being their boat and that they would look into it and remove the pics of my boat. I mean really, this has got to be a scam. Anyone who posts an ad knows what pics they upload to the ad right? Anyway, all is good here and again my baby is definitely not for sale, and never will be. She's mine!!!!

--
    Marty
    --
  • I just checked and the ad is gone now. Thank you to CL and anyone who played a part in getting that crap ad removed.

--
    Marty
    --
  • QuoteI mean really, this has got to be a scam. Anyone who posts an ad knows what pics they upload to the ad right?

It wouldn't be the first time someone used "generic" images to sell their less that attractive product
  • martyrOkay this is weird. I was scrolling through craigslist- Okaloosa county, Fl and came across and ad for a totally refurbished Hobie 16. There are 6 pictures and 2 of them are MY BOAT!!!! WHAT THE HELL??? Yep, there was my boat sitting on the beach, pictures from the CL ad last year when I bought the boat. Sail number 90492, and my boat is definitely not for sale!!!!
    There are other pictures of similar H16's from the Internet also. The ad states that the boat has white rudders and yet one of the pics shows a boat with black rudders.
    I sent the seller a message to remove the pics of my boat and I also contacted craigslist about this being a possible scam.
    Post ID is 6133498253
    I assure you 90492 is sitting here with me covered up, locked up, in my back yard, and is not for sale!

I would take it as a compliment that they would use pitcures of my boat to sell thier boat...

Right now if I type Prindle 18-2, NACRA 5.8, etc... into Google images there is a 89.7% chance one of my old boats will appear... I have no control on who uses them and how they are used..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • MN3
    QuoteI mean really, this has got to be a scam. Anyone who posts an ad knows what pics they upload to the ad right?

It wouldn't be the first time someone used "generic" images to sell their less that attractive product

Trolling the online dating sites are ya? icon_lol

Edited by JohnES on May 25, 2017 - 12:40 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • QuoteTrolling the online dating sites are ya?

maybe - but only making sure all the beautiful women look the way their picture looks

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.