Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rudder refinishing  Bottom

• These are the two sets of rudders I have. The ones mounted now are fairly light and seem to be in good shape save a few rough spots on the leading edge near the bottoms. I can't tell for sure if these are fiberglass or nylon?
    The spares I believe to be the original rudders from '76 they are twice as heavy and have lots of gouges, nothing major though.
    I've read about appliance paint but I'm wondering of I should lay down some epoxy and fair them or just paint as is? And what would you use on them?
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127781&g2_serialNumber=3
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=127782&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Andrew
    Hobie 16 "spirit of '76"
    Lexington, KY
    --
  • I refinished mine alone with the whole boat. For rudders I used West System Epoxy with microfiber and faired them, then finished with primekote and a good marine paint. If you're going to invest your time, get the right materials to get a result you will be proud of and that will last.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • If they are Lexan, ABS, Nylon, PCG, or any of the other various materials that Hobie used for their lower end "plastic" rudders, then you would be wasting your time trying to re-finish them. Only the fiberglass "racer rudders" or EPO's can be re-finished. Epoxy is not going to bond with any permenancy to the plastic rudders. And even if it did, you would be putting lipstick on a pig. About the best you can do with the plastic rudders is give them a good scrubbing with soap and water and a stiff bristle brush and maybe clean up the trailing edge with a file. Otherwise, save up your pennies for a decent set of composite rudders. The other thing you have to consider with those old plastic rudders is that if they sat in the sun for a long time, the UV may have fried them and it is very likely they will snap off on a windy day.

sm
  • I had not considered that. If it's worth saving, it's worth doing right. If it's junk, who cares? But, appliance paint seems to be capitulating to the lower standard.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • A quick coat of plastic primer paint followed with a plastic paint top coat can really make those rudder look OK season after season. icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Thanks guys. I'd love to pick up a set of EPO'S but that's not in the budget this summer.
    i just want to get these things through another season.

--
    Andrew
    Hobie 16 "spirit of '76"
    Lexington, KY
    --
  • Quotei just want to get these things through another season.

if looks don't matter then dont waste any time or money on them
    carry your spare set in your car so if/when they snap, you have spares ready - save $10 a week and by the end of summer you can buy a new set
  • On the old boats, I don't bother with much of this, as pretty doesn't matter on them, just function.

But just to add in a point about the appliance paint. I touch up the fiberglass rudders on my Supercat every winter with epoxy and "fair" them. I don't bother with a 2 part paint or gelcoat, but just appliance paint them. They last the season and look great and as long as I am going to touch them up every winter, I don't feel the need to go the extra route with 2 part paint or gelcoat. Invariably I hit something out on the water or come in to a beach with one down and drag it a bit or some other "operator failure", so I have to repair anyways, every winter.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • I wet sanded my rudders and then used Rustoleum 2x paint for plastics, (black), and they came out really nice and shiny. Works for me until I can eventually get something better, but for now, these will work. I am considering painting the bottom edges yellow so scratches don't show as much.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Muriatic acid will make them look a bit better, eventually good enough depending on your expectations. You can see in the first part of this video how it works. I took a 1 lt bottle from the hardware store and diluted it with the same volume of water. Be careful, dont touch it or breath it. I heard there is less aggressive stuff but this was so easy to get..
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NK_TyWTZK4I
  • I went with the Krylon for plastics primer and gloss white on my old plastic rudders on the '84 H14T
    They look fine.I touch up the scratches with glazing putty and repaint. Rudders are going to get beat up.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.