Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Slip To Ship, Ocean Springs (MS) YC, Memorial Weekend  Bottom

• https://www.thebeachcats.…viewtype/details/eid/834

I'm registered.

Edited by rattlenhum on May 10, 2017 - 02:03 PM.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Registered

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Ditto!
  • Is this race doable on a Hobie 16, or does it require a larger boat?
  • ste4Is this race doable on a Hobie 16, or does it require a larger boat?

Yes, it is doable on a H16 and the H16 class tends to be the largest. You do need to be comfortable sailing and navigating in open water, the fleet does tend to get spread out and chase boats are not always near.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Gotcha thx, i better get a little more experience under my belt. I'll shoot for next year
  • ste4: A lot of newer sailors do this race with no problems, but there are some who have no business in it due to their lack of skills, boat condition, weather conditions, etc. Without knowing any of this about you/your boat, I can't strongly encourage you to enter. However, if you even think you might be up to it, consider giving it a try. If conditions are such that you decide against sailing out to the island yourself, you can just daysail nearshore in the bay or try to catch a ride out on a powerboat or maybe crew with a more experienced person (the best way to introduce yourself to this kind of thing IMO). Either way, I think you'd have a good time and enjoy hanging out with/learning from a bunch of fun sailing folks.

I sent you a PM with some tips/things to consider regarding the race. It's something I share with less experienced members of our club as the racing season rolls around each year. Hope to see you somewhere on the water soon!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • QuoteI sent you a PM with some tips/things to consider regarding the race. It's something I share with less experienced members of our club as the racing season rolls around each year

sounds like it could be something worth sharing on here
  • I heard the PRO was awesome. And the signal boat this year has TWO engines.
  • Yeah, I heard the PRO was quite a hoot... hats off to the large volunteer team who makes these events fun and memorable for so many folks...
  • Ratelnhum, thx for ur help, I sent u a response pm with a couple of additional questions. Thx
  • At the moment I have 4 F18s registered for Slip to Ship - one more boat and we have enough for a one-design class. Come on down and see who is fastest:)

I usually also have enough Nacra Inter 20s for a class . . . but they always sign up after the class/trophy cutoff and get lumped in with everyone else. If you N20 guys want your own trophy competition register before midnight Friday night!

Jay Shuman
    OSYC Fleet Captain
    H16, H17, H20

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.