Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Bow handle, does a nice looking one exist?  Bottom

• Moving the classic Tornado around would be much easier with a bow handle. Most are pretty plain/ugly. I don't want a beautiful boat marred by something that looks bad. Any ideas?

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • why can't you grab the bow near the bridal? why would you want/need a handle?

Edited by MN3 on May 09, 2017 - 12:55 PM.
  • It reminded me the first cat I sailed

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=82260&g2_serialNumber=6&g2_GALLERYSID=0b2e23fa6c2a1550d9e146e44bffdfa7
  • The bridle is 4 feet back, and the bows are real tall so reaching from the outside is a stretch. We do it now, but the up front point on the mono is so easy.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • never seen one on a beach cat

when solo or with help, my mystere 5.5 or 6.0, handles better in just about every angle while i handle it from the bridal area unless it's a push on the nose up the beach sterns first - i don't think your bridal and my 6.0's can be much different in location -

but who knows maybe your on to something - please let us know how it works out if you do it
  • Just a thought. Would the bow handle from a Sunfish be too small? They look pretty smooth.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • if the boat is balanced fore/aft on the wheels... there's almost no lifting up or pushing down on the bows, because it's balanced... at that point, it becomes a rolling effort and idk if a bow handle would help w/that
  • http://www.ebay.com/itm/L…R~EAAOSwnHZYgQgI&vxp=mtr

Do these flip your switch?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I think the biggest problem to installation of a handle or cleat is access to the inside of the hull to secure a nut; otherwise you are going to need to install a blind rivet.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I am partial to stainless, but you guys have sort of talked me out of this.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • ctcatamanI am partial to stainless, but you guys have sort of talked me out of this.

Now, John. Are You really thinking about ruing the classical lines of you’re beautiful
    Tornado again ? Come on.
    I understand your T is a wooden one, these are rare like an 69 Jaguar E-type hardtop.
    So, please don’t put handles on the bows!! It wil disturb the lines of your beauty.
    One question is vital, how are you gonna fit counterplating for these handles?
    The only way is riveting the handles or using parker-style screws.. In the end you
    wil rip them of, period. Glueing with epoxy or whatsoever won't hold either.
    Get some padding for you’re shoulders (old pfd or so) and go inside the front bows,
    put your shoulder against the bridle and walk the cat anywhere you want to go.
    Balancing and fixing the cat-track is key here.
    I am aging and have a back-problem, but can stil make it up the beach this way, solo.
    Another help might be putting foot-straps near the end of the rear-beam, they make
    a great difference running the cat up the beach, two up.
    Rest my case here..

( nobody can say I’ve not tried… icon_wink )

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Andre, the Tornado will not be defiled. It is in the garage getting touch up paint. Darn pretty boat! John

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.