Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hinged tilting trailer  Bottom

• I have 2 options available for trailering a Wave. One is a fixed tongue trailer, the other is a hinged tongue that tilts like a snow mobile trailer. Both are dedicated cat trailers. For ramp launching, both would work. But tilt might mean the van doesn't have to go in so far. The hinge is solid. Trying to preserve the back when soloing. Any preference or experience?

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • We had a tilt trailer on our H16 but it never worked because the boat was not heavy enough to allow the trailer to tilt.
  • I use CAD for work and can check center of gravity to predict tilt.

I was thinking of adapting the crank drive from a trailer jack to control the tilt. Less lifting required.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • It doesn't seem very useful if you launch directly to the water. If you move the boat to ground first, which is what I like to do, maybe. Or if the ramp is too flat, which is the similar to launching to ground.
    I put the beachwheels near the sterns and it's quite easy to push the boat back until it tilts by its own weight, then it lands on the wheels, I push back a bit more and then I move the beachweels towards the front beam and take the boat off the trailer completely. Same thing the other way around, except that I use the winch to pull the boat up. I would see more benefit in having some rollers correctly placed for that purpose than a tilting trailer. It would depend on the trailer height either.
  • It doesn't seem very useful if you launch directly to the water. If you move the boat to ground first, which is what I like to do, maybe. Or if the ramp is too flat, which is the similar to launching to ground.
    I put the beachwheels near the sterns and it's quite easy to push the boat back until it tilts by its own weight, then it lands on the wheels, I push back a bit more and then I move the beachweels towards the front beam and take the boat off the trailer completely. Same thing the other way around, except that I use the winch to pull the boat up. I would see more benefit in having some rollers correctly placed for that purpose than a tilting trailer. It would depend on the trailer height either.
  • I agree with Andinista. I see no real value in a tilt trailer for my cat. Maybe I don't launch in the needed conditions, but with beach wheels available, the trailer tilting becomes a non issue in my mind.
    Almost always can slide the cat onto wheels and wheel the cat down the ramp or beach.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • I don't know what the weight difference is between a Wave and an H16 but, I can easily remove my H16 from its trailer and put it back on all by myself with the use of my beach wheels. I practice this in my back yard and give the neighbors a show. It's all about balance. I pull the boat off the trailer until it starts to tilt, then roll the wheels under and tie off to the side stays. With the boat balanced, I can wheel the thing around all over the yard. Putting it back on the trailer is just the opposite. My beach wheels are Cat Trax with the big smooth oversized rubber tires, and they work great.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • QuoteI don't know what the weight difference is between a Wave and an H16

Wave - Weight‎: ‎245 lbs / 111 kg
    h16 weight‎: ‎ 320 lb / 145 kg
    Thank you google
  • why stop there? do a tongue extension too! icon_lol
    j

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=119536&g2_serialNumber=3

https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=119535&g2_serialNumber=3&g2_GALLERYSID=d802737e545768ca0d65412b1b0d601c

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • QuoteI practice this in my back yard and give the neighbors a show.

I bet you do it just for the fun.. I'd do it if I had my boat at home...
    I still try my ski gear on the living room before the season starts..
    :)
  • Haha, yeah I have to admit that over the Easter weekend my neighbors had a lot of friends over, and I went out and wheeled the boat around on the beach wheels just for the fun of it. I got a lot of looks. I was going to raise the mast and sails but decided not too, Lol.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Rather than tilting your whole trailer, consider putting dual rollers on the back crossbar that tilt down when unloaded. I think Damon had a thread on this a while back, and I may do this as well.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.