Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

2 vs 1 set of Cat Trax for 20 footers  Bottom

• We have one set of Cat Trax for moving the Tornado across soft sand. At low tide, we need to go up hard sand about 6 feet vertical over 30 or 40 feet. I now have a second Cat Trax. It can be dedicated to the Wave, or lengthened for use with the big boat. Neither has a T handle, and it moves around OK on the sand. Given the total movement is 150 feet, is the second set worth while? Turning might be and issue, but only at start and end of the set up. Thanks.

Season is nearly here for the NE crowd!!!!

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Never tried moving on a pair of cat-trax, but it seems it would help to clamp the axles together so they stay aligned. Mostly it would help to keep the cat balanced over the cradle.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Used to use two sets of wheels on the Nacra-20 - it was great moving it around areas with inclines and rough stuff. Would put a set under each beam. For turning we'd just push down on the bows so the back wheels came off the ground. The only reason I don't do it anymore is that I only have one set of wheels...
  • When I am doing a longer than normal haul and I'm solo I use 2 sets and I love it, I no longer dread the end of the day push up an incline in deep sand. I own 2 boats and keep them in different places so I already had 2 sets, it wasn't an additional purchase for me. Knowing what I know now I'm a 2 set guy. If I have help and it's not too far or steep I probably wouldn't bother with the second set. It doesn't really add to setup time for me. Turning has not been much of an issue, but I never have to navigate anything that requires a lot of turning. I thought about clamping them together but it's worked so well so far it seems unnecessary.

Edited by jalex on Apr 22, 2017 - 05:10 PM.
  • Assuming you sail the T with 2 up, consider it a good workout.... icon_wink
    Make sure the wheels are suited for hard sand, big non profile tires
    are a large advantage here. Tire pressure should be medium to hard.
    Check the bearings, they make a big difference, specially under load.
    Place the cattrack in a way the T is perfectly balanced and make sure
    it stays there.
    No windage, mainsail away, jib furled or stowed.
    Now get forward with you're mate and step in-between the hulls.
    Set both you shoulders against the bridles ( a pfd or towl helps here) ,
    and start moving forward.
    No need for an extra cat-track...

A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Here's an example of a simple, lightweight framework to keep the beach wheel sets separated and aligned:

https://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=113081&g2_GALLERYSID=b0e7801065b287a7a5646dccf8edab4a

It's attached to the axels with s.s. hose clamps, so easy to remove if needed. Also pictured is a $50 Harbor Freight 12 v winch which can be tied off to something solid, or staked to the ground with four 16" pieces of rebar.
  • I use two sets all the time on my Supercat 15.
    I set them under the front and rear beam and tie them off to keep them in place. Literally tie ends off to the beams, and I don't have any tracking issues.
    I use the hard wheels as my beach isn't all that soft a sand and we have a lot of Horseshoe crab shells that would (and have) hurt my soft wheels.
    I also use a winch to pull the boat up the beach and the two sets allow me to not worry about perfect balance while I am 100 feet away at the winch.
    No problem turning with the two sets, just a bit of lift or pressure while turning is all it takes.
    The two sets are an investment, but now I don't feel like I am exhausting myself after a great day sailing. Well worth it in my mind.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • On the ARC 22 we have a big set of standard style beach wheels which go under the main beam. Then we have two individual cradles for the aft of the boat, each with an 18" axel and two 6" pneumatic tires. The front set bears most of the weight, the little ones aft just keep the sterns off the ground. They're held in place with a cam buckle webbing strap. Works well.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.