Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

HELP! Foam Filled Hobie 16 hulls??  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• In the end.. Why a Hobie? There's lots of other catamarans there.
    More modern and more suitable.

A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • See I thought the windowless sails were a bit strange but I didn't think too much of it mainly because I'm ignorant on the subject. Appreciate the support and advice. Good knowledge not just for cats but boats in general. Time to continue looking haha

DamonLinkousBayoucat,

Don't get discouraged, they say you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince(s).

For the price you are looking you can find a good boat.

If there is anything I've learned from my father about buying boats it is that patience pays. I'm just looking to get one before I ship in May to use when I get back.

catmoddingIn the end.. Why a Hobie? There's lots of other catamarans there.
    More modern and more suitable.

A

I just haven't really looked at others which raises a question. Most of my sailing will be on the Mississippi Gulf Coast where it tends to get rough when its windy. I know Hobie's have a tendency to pitch pole. How do prindle's fair in rough water? A quick search reveals good priced prindles for sale. Also, would an 18(any make) be a bit too much to solo for a beginner. I know I'd have to get a righting bag or something of that kind to help when it capsizes.

I guess I'll make this my buying advice thread from here on out since thats what it has turned in to haha
  • bayoucatMost of my sailing will be on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Where are you located? There are several of us on here from Mississippi, some in Jackson, some on the coast even some up near Memphis.

Not all Hobie sails have windows, especially the sails from the 70's.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Rough weather, beginner, solo.. I woud go for 18 ft without daggerboards..
    Prindle 18 (classic) Dart 18, Prindle 18-2 (maybe) .
    Nacra sailors, help us out here.

A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • Seriously? NACRA 5.7 or 570. No centerboard, stable, single handed sailing and you can submerge the bow without a pitchpole, and so much faster than a Hobie. Prindle 16 can out-sail most Hobie 16 boats easily, and is very resistant to pitch-pole with a lot of front-end flotation, but if you submerge that broad top-deck it's good-bye. The Prindle 18 and 19 are faster on par with NACRA 5.7 and 5.8. All are relatively inexpensive if you can find them.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • bayoucat
    nacra55
    bayoucat https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/6092765555.html

Here is said boat

That's a 14, not a 16.

How can you tell?

That boat is a Hobie 14, 100%. Dolphin striker, shroud locations, hull shape, there is no question. It is definitely not a 16.

sm
  • Quote$1500 can buy an old boat that is in perfect working order with updated lines, etc.

perfect working order ... well ...
    in my experience - 1500 will get you a basic cat, but i would not expect anything to be in "new like" state.
    sails will be well used (maybe some repairs), same for the rudders and hulls

I would not expect a sail tube, nor beach wheels in that price range (can still happen but you'd be very fortunate)

I wouldn't expect updated lines.. i would expect well used lines (probably near end of life)

Edited by MN3 on Apr 21, 2017 - 08:50 AM.
  • other boats to consider
    as mentioned - boomless can save you or crew some headaches,
    boardless is easier in shallow areas- this list would include:

prindle 16 (has boom - no boards)
    gcat 5.0 or 5.7 (usually has boom, not allways, no boards)
    mystere 5.0 (hard to find, hard to get parts but amazing boat: boards - no boom)

I would include a dart but you should realize they are a dog in light air (built for north sea sailing)
    I am on the fence about a supercat great boat but ridiculously heavy mast, very wet ride and can be a challenge to right

for 18' boats; Sure not THAT much more of a boat but usually means more control lines and more skills needed to sail WELL

the smaller / simpler cats will still sail - even when you have everything set wrong
    the bigger / more complex boat will fight you (not move much) unless you have (most of) the controls set correctly
  • nacra55
    bayoucatMost of my sailing will be on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Where are you located? There are several of us on here from Mississippi, some in Jackson, some on the coast even some up near Memphis.

My camp is in Bay St. Louis so I'll be sailing the Gulf. I'd like to go sail to cat island on a weather permitting day. I'm currently in school at LSU.

To address the rest of you gents since ya'll are talking about similar points:
    Saw a 5.7 for sail on here but never heard back from the gentleman. Might already be gone. I don't think I want an H16 anymore. Seems other cats would be better suited for where I'll be sailing and what I wanna do. Found a 5.2 in Texas but the only problem is the seller is making it hard to get info. Why should I jump thru hoops to give you my money bro? Anyway, I think a 5.7, P16 or P18 would be best suited for me. Really would love a Nacra but they're usually a bit more expensive and harder to find. They look pretty sleek

You guys are awesome though. Have helped me a ton so far.
  • There is an Nacra 18 square up sale in the classifieds but that seems to be a bit too much for me at first glance. Thoughts? This would be something I sail day after day too if that makes a difference (in regards to transportation and set up/rigging)
  • Of your most recent possibilities I think a prindle 18/16, Nacra 5.7 would all be good. I don't know much about the Nacra 18sq but it has boards which I don't recommend for a first cat, and it is probably the hardest to right. It sounds like you won't be moving it so the 11 foot beam is not an issue, spare used sails/tramp and other parts may be hard to find. Let location, condition and a little patience guide you and you'll end up in a good spot
  • bayoucatThere is an Nacra 18 square up sale in the classifieds but that seems to be a bit too much for me at first glance. Thoughts? This would be something I sail day after day too if that makes a difference (in regards to transportation and set up/rigging)

The N18sqm is an absolute no go for a newbie, especially in rougher weather.
    To wide, daggerboards, doesn't point high when you're not a skilled sailor, is
    a handfull on beach wheels solo and so on.

Was suggesting a 18 footer because of the rough weather, more length means
    better behavior in (steep) waves.

Prindle 16, 18. Nacra 5.2, 5.7 are my recommended cats.
    AND the glorious Dart 18 as a number 1 !!!

Member Mn3 keeps saying they are "dogs" in light air, but thats not completely
    true. They are different cats because of their small beam. so you have to move
    around the boat quite active in light air compared to "standard" beach cats .
    Consider it a challenge or a new approach.
    There's seven or so Dart 18's at our club, and I have seen them passing P18-2
    and even F18 (no spi) in light winds. New sails and skills helps a lot.
    In heavy weather they are unbeatable, tough.

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)

--
  • QuoteThere's seven or so Dart 18's at our club, and I have seen them passing P18-2
    and even F18 (no spi) in light winds. New sails and skills helps a lot.
    In heavy weather they are unbeatable, tough.

I mean no disrespect for the Dart. I like the boat, almost purchased one at one time.
    I have been on a few, and well above 30knot wind - that is the right boat for heavy air

I have personally passed and done circles waiting for a friend on a dart 18 in light air (he is a very good sailor) when i owned a H18 (that was in pretty poor shape, old sails and i didn't really know how to sail it) - that is what i base my statements on
  • I don't know how to post a link, but there is a 1985 Hobie 16 on Craigslist in Wetumpka, Al for $1500.00. The ad states that the hulls have no soft spots, tramp is good except for a hiking strap. Trailer included has sailbox, winch, and new lights. There are 2 pictures in the ad, one is from beachcats, and the other is from Juana's Pagodas. So, there ya go.

Edited by martyr on Apr 26, 2017 - 01:05 AM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • QuoteI don't know how to post a link

highlight the url in the address bar at the top of the browser
    right click and select copy (or control+c)
    come to this forum/page
    click the URL button below and 2 brackets will appear (url) (/url) (brackets changed to parenthesis so you can see the general idea)

and right click and select paste (or control+v) inside the brackets

alternatively you can paste the url here / and then highlight the url you just pasted / then hit the URL button below - either way works
  • I am using a phone so...yeah, it's difficult. Anyway, there is also a nice G Cat in Port St Joe, Fl for $799, has double tramps and beach wheels!!! Lots of inexpensive boats out there, there is a 1977 Nacra 5.2 for $1000.00 in Birmingham,Al (no picture), and a H16 in Pensacola, Fl for $1100.00.

Edited by martyr on Apr 25, 2017 - 11:31 AM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • martyrI don't know how to post a link, but there is a 1985 Hobie 16 on Craigslist in Wetumpka, Al for $1500.00. The ad states that the hulls have no spot spots, tramp is good except for a hiking strap. Trailer included has sailbox, winch, and new lights. There are 2 pictures in the ad, one is from beachcats, and the other is from Juana's Pagodas. So, there ya go.

Seems like a really good cat but I don't think a hobie 16 would best fit where I want to sail. I already called about that 5.2 and it was gone. No surprise haha

What do y'all think about a hobie 17? Found what looks to be a good one at price I could probably negotiate. Ideally I'd really like a 5.0, 5.2, or 5.7 but I feel that as it gets closer to summer less will be up for sale. Nacra's are hard to find too. Haven't seen too many prindle's but I think a 16 is what I need. Anything at 18 feet, unless I can get a steal of a deal, is a bit more than I'll really need.

I mean I guess I could always get a H16 and if I'd like something else in the future, sell it.
  • For an all-around boat that can be sailed single-handed with jib and main or main alone (well-balance either way), that can be righted easily and has simple, but effective controls and has one of the best designed rudder systems--the Dart 18!!! It moves well in light wind conditions, when sailed properly, and that is part of the learning curve, but it really gives you confidence and handles superbly in a blow. Finding one may be a problem, as not many were imported from England to the U.S., but it's worth the effort to search one out. I currently own 3 of them plus a Prindle 18-2 and a Nacra 5.2. The Dart is still my go-to boat!!! Bob Martinez (Ventura Sailing Club multihull fleet captain)
  • bayoucat

Seems like a really good cat but I don't think a hobie 16 would best fit where I want to sail.

I forgot, where could you be sailing that a Hobie 16 wouldn't work?

The Hobie 17 is a very specific single handed boat. Low volume hulls don't carry weight. It may look bigger than a Hobie 16 on the beach because of the wings but it's not. H16 is a great all around boat, the H17 (and a lot of boats mentioned so far) are tools for a specific job.

bayoucatI mean I guess I could always get a H16 and if I'd like something else in the future, sell it.

Yes, the important thing is to get a boat and get started, but unless you manage to buy a Hobie 16 that someone has filled with foam you can't go wrong and can probably sail it a year and sell it for what you paid.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Hi there, I would take the advice of these people here! They are giving you good advice. Run away from this one. OK I just looked at a Hobie 18 in Atlanta Ga. Posted recently its is the white one sitting next to the blue tractor. The man who bought it knew nothing about it and a very nice person. We checked it for sold spots all over. Crunch,crunch,then he was sick. He owned a shop and told his worker to bring over a sawzaw. He cut off the first 6 feet of the hull. Wow! We inspected it and the inside fiberglass strip along with the outside glass was totally separated with rotton foam inside. I noticed that the inside foam was so thin it could be rolled up. The outside fiberglass was a little thicker. I didn't realize the fiberglass was so thin. Now I am reluctant of buying an older boat. This boat appeared rough even before we checked for sold spots. The whole boat was delaminated. OK, so a boat looks nice with paint and all the nice hardware just make sure its solid. The boat owner told me he is redoing the add as parts list. By the way, notice the front crossbar has a welded brace from a crack! The mast looked fine and sails were a little faded but I did not see all of them rolled out to check for inspection.The trailer was a heavy duty type with rust.The tires were good.

--
    Tom Bainbridge, Ga. Hobie16, prindle 18.2
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.