Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

HELP! Foam Filled Hobie 16 hulls??  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• In the end.. Why a Hobie? There's lots of other catamarans there.
    More modern and more suitable.

A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • See I thought the windowless sails were a bit strange but I didn't think too much of it mainly because I'm ignorant on the subject. Appreciate the support and advice. Good knowledge not just for cats but boats in general. Time to continue looking haha

DamonLinkousBayoucat,

Don't get discouraged, they say you have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find your prince(s).

For the price you are looking you can find a good boat.

If there is anything I've learned from my father about buying boats it is that patience pays. I'm just looking to get one before I ship in May to use when I get back.

catmoddingIn the end.. Why a Hobie? There's lots of other catamarans there.
    More modern and more suitable.

A

I just haven't really looked at others which raises a question. Most of my sailing will be on the Mississippi Gulf Coast where it tends to get rough when its windy. I know Hobie's have a tendency to pitch pole. How do prindle's fair in rough water? A quick search reveals good priced prindles for sale. Also, would an 18(any make) be a bit too much to solo for a beginner. I know I'd have to get a righting bag or something of that kind to help when it capsizes.

I guess I'll make this my buying advice thread from here on out since thats what it has turned in to haha
  • bayoucatMost of my sailing will be on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Where are you located? There are several of us on here from Mississippi, some in Jackson, some on the coast even some up near Memphis.

Not all Hobie sails have windows, especially the sails from the 70's.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Rough weather, beginner, solo.. I woud go for 18 ft without daggerboards..
    Prindle 18 (classic) Dart 18, Prindle 18-2 (maybe) .
    Nacra sailors, help us out here.

A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Seriously? NACRA 5.7 or 570. No centerboard, stable, single handed sailing and you can submerge the bow without a pitchpole, and so much faster than a Hobie. Prindle 16 can out-sail most Hobie 16 boats easily, and is very resistant to pitch-pole with a lot of front-end flotation, but if you submerge that broad top-deck it's good-bye. The Prindle 18 and 19 are faster on par with NACRA 5.7 and 5.8. All are relatively inexpensive if you can find them.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • bayoucat
    nacra55
    bayoucat https://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/6092765555.html

Here is said boat

That's a 14, not a 16.

How can you tell?

That boat is a Hobie 14, 100%. Dolphin striker, shroud locations, hull shape, there is no question. It is definitely not a 16.

sm
  • Quote$1500 can buy an old boat that is in perfect working order with updated lines, etc.

perfect working order ... well ...
    in my experience - 1500 will get you a basic cat, but i would not expect anything to be in "new like" state.
    sails will be well used (maybe some repairs), same for the rudders and hulls

I would not expect a sail tube, nor beach wheels in that price range (can still happen but you'd be very fortunate)

I wouldn't expect updated lines.. i would expect well used lines (probably near end of life)

Edited by MN3 on Apr 21, 2017 - 08:50 AM.
  • other boats to consider
    as mentioned - boomless can save you or crew some headaches,
    boardless is easier in shallow areas- this list would include:

prindle 16 (has boom - no boards)
    gcat 5.0 or 5.7 (usually has boom, not allways, no boards)
    mystere 5.0 (hard to find, hard to get parts but amazing boat: boards - no boom)

I would include a dart but you should realize they are a dog in light air (built for north sea sailing)
    I am on the fence about a supercat great boat but ridiculously heavy mast, very wet ride and can be a challenge to right

for 18' boats; Sure not THAT much more of a boat but usually means more control lines and more skills needed to sail WELL

the smaller / simpler cats will still sail - even when you have everything set wrong
    the bigger / more complex boat will fight you (not move much) unless you have (most of) the controls set correctly
  • nacra55
    bayoucatMost of my sailing will be on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

Where are you located? There are several of us on here from Mississippi, some in Jackson, some on the coast even some up near Memphis.

My camp is in Bay St. Louis so I'll be sailing the Gulf. I'd like to go sail to cat island on a weather permitting day. I'm currently in school at LSU.

To address the rest of you gents since ya'll are talking about similar points:
    Saw a 5.7 for sail on here but never heard back from the gentleman. Might already be gone. I don't think I want an H16 anymore. Seems other cats would be better suited for where I'll be sailing and what I wanna do. Found a 5.2 in Texas but the only problem is the seller is making it hard to get info. Why should I jump thru hoops to give you my money bro? Anyway, I think a 5.7, P16 or P18 would be best suited for me. Really would love a Nacra but they're usually a bit more expensive and harder to find. They look pretty sleek

You guys are awesome though. Have helped me a ton so far.
  • There is an Nacra 18 square up sale in the classifieds but that seems to be a bit too much for me at first glance. Thoughts? This would be something I sail day after day too if that makes a difference (in regards to transportation and set up/rigging)
  • Of your most recent possibilities I think a prindle 18/16, Nacra 5.7 would all be good. I don't know much about the Nacra 18sq but it has boards which I don't recommend for a first cat, and it is probably the hardest to right. It sounds like you won't be moving it so the 11 foot beam is not an issue, spare used sails/tramp and other parts may be hard to find. Let location, condition and a little patience guide you and you'll end up in a good spot

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.