Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Crew communication on a catamaran  Bottom

• Professional aircraft pilots get trained in "CRM" / Crew Resource Management, three-letter-acronym for good communication, sharing of jobs, establishing trust, etc.

The same can be done on a sailboat, and it definitely leads to better outcomes. I've made a quick video to show our approach: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sO4MTTeoF0

Edited by martin_langhoff on Apr 04, 2017 - 10:58 AM.
  • About the only thing I typically need to say to crew is "You're sitting on it.." during a tack.
  • Mine is all done with 1 of 4 gestures and hand motions
    1. (and most often used) point at open mouth = please grab the rum from my cooler
    2. glare at them with a scowl = you did it wrong
    3. apply the middle finger = you did it wrong AGAIN
    4. forcefully push them overboard = i'm done with you doing it wrong(or you were too slow with the rum)

:)
  • Helpful dialog:

Part 1 "Pull-cleat-uncleat-ignore-throw-give me-shoot..."
    the
    Part 2 "f-ing-thingy-deal-gizmo-gorram-donkey butt"
    Part 3 "Now-harder-faster"
    Part 4 "And move back!"

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • "Get off the sheet."

"Get Off The Sheet."

"GET OFF THE SHEET!."

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I always make sure and point out to new crew that how loud I say something equates to how fast I need you to do it.

It doesn't mean I'm mad or anything, just volume is an efficient way to get the message across.

Loud profanity however, does probably mean I'm mad. firedevil

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • A sub category could be " communication with the skipper"! That would also be a lively post.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • DamonLinkousI always make sure and point out to new crew that how loud I say something equates to how fast I need you to do it.
    It doesn't mean I'm mad or anything, just volume is an efficient way to get the message across.
    Loud profanity however, does probably mean I'm mad. firedevil

I have found using this disclaimer does not help when you bring a non-sailing person on board (i.e. a date)
    they don't seem to understand "Loud" = important, not mad

i had a girlfriend on the boat and I got a little loud when she did something very wrong (i can't recall what it was, but i assume it was failing to give me rum when it was 100% NEEDED) but i got a little loud and she started to cry. the day didn't go well...
  • MN3...but i got a little loud and she started to cry. the day didn't go well...

Or the evening either I imagine! prost

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • QuoteOr the evening either I imagine!

you are correct sir!

I have also learned that spinnaker and dates don't mix all that well
    i have lost 2 gf's while trying to use a spin
  • MN3
    QuoteOr the evening either I imagine!

you are correct sir!

I have also learned that spinnaker and dates don't mix all that well
    i have lost 2 gf's while trying to use a spin

I agree. It's bad enough giving them a jib sheet to sit on, let alone the spin sheet. I had a sailing date and the girl shows up with her rat dog. Everything was fine until I got distracted during a jibe and capsized hard catapulting the rat into the jib on the way over. icon_biggrin
  • QuoteEverything was fine until I got distracted during a jibe and capsized hard catapulting the rat into the jib on the way over.

next time lash it to the boom with a bungee . lol

Edited by MN3 on Apr 05, 2017 - 07:25 PM.
  • MN3
    QuoteEverything was fine until I got distracted during a jibe and capsized hard catapulting the rat into the jib on the way over.

next time lash it to the boom with a bungee . lolEdited by MN3 on Apr 05, 2017 - 07:25 PM.

lol I really should keep some bungee on the boom to mess with the next girl that tries to bring their pet
  • Funny stuff. I once was going to take a girl out in a little Sea Snark at the beach. We started out, she was sitting in the boat Indian style looking all fine and whatnot, I went to turn the boat to break through some small waves when the wooden rudder snapped in two!!! I freaked out, we got back to shore and I told her we couldn't sail that day. She stormed off and I never saw her again. Lol.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.