Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Selling P19, but need advice on the next cat  Bottom

• So my wife and I have decided to sell our P19. We have sailed it for 2 seasons and it is a bit too much boat for our weight (combined 310 lbs) and where we sail (Raritan Bay).

We are moving south so we would end up sailing on Barnaget Bay, NJ where I used to sail a H21SE and a H16 without issue.

The question would be I am thinking a Getaway would be the right boat for us. Barnaget bay has shallow areas, and I always appreciated the H21's centerboards so I didn't have to worry about running aground too much. Are there any other boats we should consider?

We are not into racing at the moment, more into cruising around but we don't want anything that is too slow. And definitely something we can right without aids. Any comments would be appreciated.
  • I'd also check out the Hobie T2 if looking for a rotomolded skeg boat, might be a little more performance oriented. Nacra 500/5.2 for a little more performance or even a P16. It depends a bit on what you are looking for in terms of capacity (cargo and people).

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Our Hobie getaway was truly a nice boat for its intended purpose. Simple, comfortable at the trade of speed and performance. That said, it was a wild/wet ride when the wind was honking. It sure felt fast (while there was nobody else passing you).

I did manage to capsize it once, which took a surprising amount of effort. I was unable to right the boat solo, which has been the only time I have failed to get a boat back up solo. I think the mast bob with a fee cups of water in it killed me.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • A friend of mine puts a p16 sail on his 19 sometimes, really tames the beast

--
    Carl

Dart 18x2
    Nacra 5.8
    1967 B-LION for sale
    1985 Hobie 18
    Windrider Rave x2 for sale
    --
  • Well, there's always the tried and true Hobie 16!!!!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Often times these type of threads break down along party lines. Most of us love what we own/sail.
    For what it's worth, I would look at the Supercat 17.
    Boomless
    No boards
    Easily righted. I have righted the 17 by myself, without a bag. You have to get it pointed right, but is doable, single.
    Hard to pitch pole
    Still a fair amount of performance, especially if you decide to upgrade the main sail to a square top
    I know a number of people will state that it's a wet boat, but...that isn't always a bad thing.
    Aquarius still supports them, and I love the ease of rigging, the rudder setup, and they are a pretty solid boat.
    I sailed a friend's for two seasons and loved it. Plenty of space for two, and with one, it's a fine rocket.
    I own a 15, and love it, but I mostly sail it solo. With two, it needs some wind to get it up, but I have never felt that it was an underperformer.
    Back to the 17.
    If you can find one, I would look seriously at it. Their rigging allows for easier righting, and it's not too big to drag up and down the beach with a decent set of wheels.
    All that being said,mothers are plenty of good boats to consider, I just like the beardless ones, as I am tide challenged where we sail

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • mothers???
    Where did that come from. S/B there are plenty of good boats...
    Beardless??? Again, when will I learn spellcheck. S/B board less

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • windwarddemothers???
    Where did that come from. S/B there are plenty of good boats...
    Beardless??? Again, when will I learn spellcheck. S/B board less

HaHa posting from a phone? rofl2

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Yep, when will I learn
    Hopefully it provided some amusement along the way

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    --
  • My Gcat 5.7 is fast enough to be exciting but not too much to be handled by 310lbs. I consider it pretty easy to keep tame in most conditions. Maybe not as durable as a rotomolded boat but I think they are pretty tough. Many boats will seem a little under performing after having a P19, but sounds like your ok with that. The Gcat 5.7 is boardless and boomless and weighs about the same as a Getaway. It also has a front tramp like the Getaway. The biggest selling point on the Getaway for me are the wings.

Edited by jalex on Feb 09, 2017 - 06:57 PM.
  • Since you are used to the P19, think about a classic P18, or a 18-2. They both handle easier than the 19, from steering to weight distribution. And you are already familiar with the engineering of the boat. The classic 18 is very durable (true beachcat) and fast. My son and I sail the 18-2 in the ocean, and it is very fun. My $0.02.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.