Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Old Nacra 5 or newer Prindle 16  Bottom

• I am looking to buy my first cat. I have found two reasonable options both in good condition. One is a Nacra 5 from the 1990s at $5200 and the other is a 2006 Prindle 16 for $2500. I am in Australia. I have contacted local sailing clubs to see what classes are sailed in case I look o racing but predominantly I would like to sail solo and with my wife and children. I would love some input about the technology differences between these 2 apparently great cats from the 1990s and 2006. I like the look of the Nacra as it does look ahead of its time (as a non-sailor I can see that) but I like to buy newer if the tech warrants It. Thanks in advance.
  • disclaimer: i've never owned ether so this is just what i THINK...

older (if used more) means more likely to have stress (metal fatigue) and corrosion issues (often hidden)
    new doesn't really mean it doesn't suffer from the same issues (depending on wear, preventative measures (anti-rust stuff), care and use

so that being said - ceterus parabus
    Hull shape:
    i think the 5.o is a straighter hull and is better in flat and calm water
    the 16 has some shape to it better for wave and chop

does the 5.0 have boards? if so .... not ideal with wife and kids (usually) -

(Edit - i just looked at pics - 5.0 is skeg and boomless... better option w wife and kid.... so real tough call)

skegs and banana shape hulls are best with them (and boomless)

I PERSONALLY think I would go with the Prindle. it's newer, and slightly more versatile imho

But what about sail condition? if it's i tos-up on which boat to bu (if both in eqaul shape), newer sails may be the tie-breaker

Edited by MN3 on Jan 22, 2017 - 02:41 PM.
  • chiromarioOne is a Nacra 5 from the 1990s at $5200 and the other is a 2006 Prindle 16 for $2500. I am in Australia.

chiromario,

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com!

That is an interesting choice for a first beachcat. First, are you sure the manufacture dates are correct? I know they built some model beachcats in Australia long after the model was discontinued in the USA, so certainly possible.

The reason I ask is that the Nacra is a "newer" design (still pretty old-school at this point) than the Prindle 16 but like the Hobie 16 is still a great boat especially for a beginner.

If the Prindle is really a 2006 and it's in great shape as indicated by its young age then sounds like you can't go wrong there for the money. Easy to resell if you you really get hooked.

Share more info about the two boats, maybe some pictures, and we will try to give input. Neither is a bad boat so the important thing is to get started!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Where abouts in Oz are you? I just got back from the better part of a month in NZ & Oz. I have camped n the beaches from Sydney up to the Daintree, & another time flew took our plane to Sydney, then Qantas to Alice Springs & drove out to Ayers Rock,(or whatever they call it now), then up the middle to Darwin. really enjoyed Kakadu(sp?)National Park. Saw Tasmanian & Melbourne this time, then 4 days in Sydney, hiked the Bondi-Coogee trail, & Spit-Manly.
    Check the HIN # carefully. Perhaps the final 2 digits on the Prindle are 86, or 96-not 06. I didn't think Prindles were built that recently. I don't have stick time on the Prindle, but we sail 2 skeg hull Nacra, they rock. I don't think you can do better than a good late model N5.0 for a starter, unless you want to Class race. You really have to drive it hard to pitchpole. Not competitive in today's world of daggerboards & boom, but we get them to peak speeds of just over 20mph, with 34 year old sails. The Prindle will not be any faster. For a beginner, with wife/kids, you simply cannot beat the clean uncluttered deck of the Nacra. No boom is also a plus, no banged heads, or broken arms when you fall onto it when you flip. I deliberately said "when", not "if".
    On either boat, press all around the hulls looking for soft spots. You will find some "oilcanning" on the sides of the Nacra, that is normal, but you shouldn't hear crunching noises, & the deck should be stiff all round.
    The Nacra uses symmetrical hulls, the Prindle has non symmetrical, like a Hobie 16.
    Look closely at the big ticket items, blocks, sails, rudders. The Nacra should be all Harken blocks.
    The price of the N5 is double, there shouldn't be that much differential, unless one is in much poorer shape, or includes trailer beach wheels etc.
    Here is some basic info, it's dated, but most of the points of what to look for hold true for all boats; http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

Edited by Edchris177 on Jan 22, 2017 - 05:41 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.