Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 vs 19  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• from the front of the dolphin striker to the center of the rear beam 92.5
  • carl2from the front of the dolphin striker to the center of the rear beam 92.5

Same measurement on an 18 is about 88.5".
    So 4" difference.

Thanks

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • Hi everybody.
    I'm brand new to cat sailing and just bought a P18. My question does fall within this forum thread. Currently our sailing would be with two adults, 350lbs and a 11 year old. My question is about the future, way down the road. If one has three adults, say 500 lbs. Would moving to a 20foot cat be the way to go? I would think if you had four adults then definitely a 20foot. I plan on using the P18 for years but was reading this thread and it's very close to my future question, so what the heck I thought I'd post my question.
  • I'm in a similar situation. My plan, for now, is to eventually buy Hobie Getaway wings and modify them to fit my P18. That way there is plenty of room for 4 adults. Won't be fast, but that isn't important to me. Just want the company.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • Quote If one has three adults, say 500 lbs. Would moving to a 20foot cat be the way to go?

well you have lots more tramp area on a 8'5 wide beam than your prindle's 7.92' but not sure the tramp is gonna be much "longer"...

since these are 2 person boats ... without wings 3 adults is a cozy fit on any beach cat - even w/wings... you don't sail w crew on the wings without lots of air so it's still cozy at times (i.e launching, right after tacking etc)

and since wind and waves are variable there is no absolute answer

if you have med - heavy air you want (need) 2 on board (either boat), so 3 is do-able
    in light air you DON'T want 3 on board (either boat) unless you don't mind floating and going slow
  • wdglennI have an 18 and 19. 19 much faster and able to point higher. Harder to single hand in winds higher than 10 knots, but has furling jib which makes it more manageable. Both stay on the beach and have survived well, both are fun but 19 can be competitively raced and there is no restriction on sails.

I singlehand mine in winds up to 18-20 no problem when it gets over 20 then things get really fun. 25 is a serious handful singlehand and 30 is a total riot max depower and it's still too much. I'm 250lbs outfitted and 6foot5... so I'm a pretty big dude. Righting requires a bag or another boat singlehand

--
    Captain Chris Holley
    Fulshear, TX
    '87 Prindle 19 "¡Hijole!"
    '74 sunfish "1fish"
    --
  • Ditto on singlehanded above 18kts, which by then jib is furled and main is flattened like a pancake. Having a square head main by Whirlwind greatly assists by twisting off the leech in the puffs saving me from working the traveler. P-19 has the versatility and performance I’m learning to appreciate more and more and find she can get into a wider groove than say a F-18 for a lot less dineros. Haven’t experienced a pitch pole YET which means I haven’t found her top end or put the spurs in hard enough. Anyway whatever the ideal crew weight I can get close to, my focus is having her tuned in for the conditions. I accept The fact I will consistently be tweaking this or that until I can squeeze out every single knot. When I get to experience the rewards of having her dialed-in, double trapped screaming like a wild banshee, head phones cranking Steppenwolf’s “Radar Love” and crew howling in acceleration of puffs makes it all worthwhile. Long ago an Old timer Admiral gave me a simple pearl of wisdom: Preparation equals Performance. Of which have been my watchwords within my wheelhouse. Sail fast and live slow.

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • I posted this link in another thread, but in case you haven't seen it you might enjoy the vid of this guy pushing his P19 solo to the max in high winds, and the foot save he makes on the mast after pitch-poling at 5:50: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeEN77NJdfE

From the couple of videos I've seen, it looks like the P18-2 and P19 tend to stay pretty flat even when they pitch pole, offering a chance to possibly not actually go over.

Edited by CatFan57 on Jul 14, 2018 - 12:39 AM.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • The P19 ticks off the list as JohnES posted. I owned a P18 for about 18 months but wanted something higher performing and moved to the P19 which I've been sailing going on four years now. The P18 is a bigger version of the P16, the P19 is a rocket. I didn't notice any significant increase in setup time or rigging. It will carry more people at speed with increased sail area, but four adults would be pushing it. In the open ocean, it's hull shape is much better for punching through swells and it's less prone to a pitchpoling. I singlehand mine 90% of the time in winds up to 15 knots full jib, but have more fun on the ocean trapped out at 10-12 knots.

The P19 weighs the same as the P18 at 385lbs due to its foam core construction. You'd be hard pressed to find a lighter older boat of similar size. I'm impressed by its strength, but the hulls surface is prone to damage due to a thin outer skin over a foam core. My guess is it's no different from any other foam core boat. As for beaching, no rocks is a must as the foam core begins maybe three inches from centerline on the bottom. I've beached mine on softball sized rock landings a number of times and eventually ground through the fiberglass and created some soft spots. I'm in the process of a major rebuild.https://www.thebeachcats.…ictures?g2_itemId=130193

Edited by spfx on Jul 14, 2018 - 01:37 AM.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.