Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

GPX files for navigation aides  Bottom

• Does anyone know of a site that provides GPX files for navigation aides for specific waterways?

And does anyone have experience with charting courses using these files and handheld GPS (that can be used on small boats?

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • Garmin Blue Chart Mobile or Garmin Helm should do the trick...

Are you looking for free...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=gpx+waterway+navigation+files

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Just the other night I ordered the Navionics SDHC card that has the NA marine chart files on it. I have been using a Delorme PN-60 for my rafting trips and this device combined with the Delorme Topo software has integrated well for trip planning and then syncing to the PN-60 and then back up to the computer in both directions. I am hoping to be able to maintain this same kind of integration when using the Navionics card with the marine files.

I had tried the same kind of connectivity with a Garmin GPS and their software and finally tossed the Garmin GPS device into a river (not entirely on purpose) and deleted their software (the device was fine, but "I" couldn't use their computer software and link satisfactorily to the device) . It simply didn't work very well together. It was interesting to find out in this search process for marine charts though that Garmin now owns Delormes. Hopefully that integration doesn't screw up what was a well working arrangement between the GPS device and the mapping software.

The way the Navionics works is that you replace the Micro SD card in the PN-60 device and specific other devices and it then has all the charts. The internal memory in the PN-60 device then has the Topo info and your overlays. So hopefully will be able to sort this out into waypoints and tracks that can then be synced back up. This could be another hair pulling swearing operation and I will report the results. This solution will also be expensive someday when the GPS device goes to the bottom, since to replace the files you would have to buy another $179 card and the GPS device.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.