Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Wikipedia Article on NACRA catamarans.  Bottom

• In searching the web I noticed that there was no generic article for NACRA cats, though there are individual articles for the NACRA 17 olympic boat and the NACRA 15 trainer.

So I have attempted to create a basic article about the NACRA family of boats, based on research I've done on the web. This site has provided some of the basic information, but I suspect people here could help improve the article.

I have not yet submitted it for publication, but believe it is visible at this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ZeroXero/sandbox#Current_and_notable_past_models

I am seeking comments, updates, corrections or additions to make it the best article possible before I submit it for publication, and would greatly appreciate the help of this forum.

In particular if anyone has contact with Tom Roland, Roy Seaman or others who were closely associated with them I would appreciate you passing on their emails to me via PM.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by dr0 on Sep 05, 2016 - 08:20 PM.
  • This looks pretty good to me and I appreciate the effort these things take. Once the article is finalized maybe Damon can figure out a way to make a permanent link to it for all of our reference (maybe in the photo albums?). Also, probably not a big deal but the 5.2 width was originally 8'2" and had to be changed when someone finally figured out the hulls had enough outward bow in them to measure over the legal road requirements. Those of us with the wide boats knew to have the cop just measure the beam if it ever came up (it never did).

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Don't forget the little 4.5. The length of the 570 and 5.7 should be the same.

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • NACRA 5.5 sloop has 8'(ish) beam and carried a jib, and its mast was 30' tall. Ron Beliech had a sloop and can offer details.

The only NACRA with 11' beam was the Square, its mast was 31' tall
    The NACRA 5.5 Uni, which is a different boat from the sloop, had 8'4(maybe 6") beam with a 31' stick, taller stick than the Sloop.

I had a Uni, and my wife a Square, so I speak from personal experience.

Edited by jaybird1111 on Sep 06, 2016 - 10:51 AM.
  • Thanks all. I will updated with the information that has been provided.

Anyone have weights for some of the other boats in the chart? Is there a different / better stat I should use instead? Mast height? Sail area? I have found detailed information hard to find, so I thought I'd stick with the simplest, and even there the weight category has proven difficult to find the data for.
  • You could try to use the Wayback Machine to pull up Nacra's old website and specs.
  • I believe that NACRA and Prindle merged in 1984... this is evident with the new construction of the 5.2 & 5.8 in the hulls (foam core) and the mast for the 5.2 with an adjustable spreader... From there I believe that Lear Siegler sold it to Catalina Yachts who then sold it to the new owners.. As a note, Performance Cat was also building some mono hull boats l like the 420, Johnson 18, and some other club boats... As well doing piece work for other boat makers...

And you didn't mention the NACRA Inter 18 nor the NACRA F18 on your chart... The Inter 18 was an awesome boat with a carbon mast... the F18... not so awesome

I run into Tom Roland from time to time in the harbor and will get his contact info for you and there is a guy in our yard the know Roy Seaman and Larry Harteck pretty well... will do the same there...

You may also want to look up Mark Michelson @ dryshirt.com... He was a Southern CA NACRA / Prindle dealer in the hay day of Catamarans (he wrote the Ultimate Catamaran Buyers Guide) and knows a lot of the history... I am sure will be glad to help you with this project.. Back in his day he was a hell of a sailor and a great asset to the sport... And see if anyone can get a line on Jack Young... he ran the place as far as I can remember.

http://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

Anyway, good luck

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • While I have never actually weighed my 5.2, I always thought it weighed 360 lbs., but when I pulled out an old promotional piece from 1975 that I have it shows the weight at 325 lbs. and the sail area of 194 sq. ft. (for some reason I had it in my head that the area was 220 sq. ft. (I must need that Wayback machine too). I also suspect that this early promo piece was based on the earliest prototypes and that production boats may have been heavier. The mast is 28'.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • Here are a couple of images of the sales poster I kept from that WayBack machine.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124695&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124698&g2_serialNumber=4

Note the sail # on that boat, #4

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • Quotehttp://www.sailingproshop.com/catamaran_guide.aspx

This is a cool piece of information for about anyone to use and share with new boaters.

dg

Edited by dmgbear55 on Sep 06, 2016 - 05:42 PM.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • dmgbear55This looks pretty good to me and I appreciate the effort these things take. Once the article is finalized maybe Damon can figure out a way to make a permanent link to it for all of our reference (maybe in the photo albums?). Also, probably not a big deal but the 5.2 width was originally 8'2" and had to be changed when someone finally figured out the hulls had enough outward bow in them to measure over the legal road requirements. Those of us with the wide boats knew to have the cop just measure the beam if it ever came up (it never did).

dg

My 5.2 had a a aluminum tube connecting the front cross tube and the stern cross tube. It ran above the trampoline. We would slide our full size canoe paddle under it and it was tight enough to stay put. None of the others I've seen have had that, which has made me think it was a very early model.
  • All 5.2s up to about 1984 had that to keep the front beam from rotating by force from the mast. Most people removed it and rivetted the beam to the straps to do the same thing. After 1984 the centre beam was replaced by a castings inside the beam and an additional bolt into each hull.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124376&g2_serialNumber=4

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124093&g2_serialNumber=4

Here is the beauty of removing the center tube. You can also eliminate the tube casting on the main beam and then also with some effort cut the tube section off the traveler cam assembly. Then you don't have anything to tear your knees up when you go sliding across the deck into the water.

I know paddles were required back in the day, but are they still? I never had very good results when soloing and trying to paddle the boat. Not enough hands to run the tiller and paddle at the same time. Going in circles didn't seem to justify bringing the thing.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    --
  • dr0

My 5.2 had a a aluminum tube connecting the front cross tube and the stern cross tube.

aka: "The NACRA Knee Knocker"

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.