Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 19 righting  Bottom

• Welcome to the shit show! I went out yesterday with a friend and sure enough we tipped but found that we couldn't get it back righted between the two of us and a righting bag? I know that my mast was taking on water, is it possible that we were just not heavy enough to counter balance the weight? we had the mast upwind, even with a third guy (200 lbs supposedly) it wouldn't come up, tried to have the lifeguards tow it around with the ski, but they kept gunning the throttle it at the last minute sending the boat into a barrel roll. it was pretty gnarly. I ended up sea sick in the midst of it, so floating in my own barf until I figured that we would just drop the mast (it had turtled at this point), rolled the whole thing up de masted and used the ski to tow the mess ashore. not a super great day, but we ended up with all of the important parts back on shore, and not too badly broken (some small tears in the sail).

but i am super interested in other people's thoughts on the weight ratio, I think my friend and I totaled probably around 270-280, and had a righting bag (that was borrowed and frankly sucked). it was pretty light wind....technique problem? equipment failure? need to eat more bacon?

Edited by thegoldstar on Aug 22, 2016 - 11:21 PM.

--
    Prindle 19
    Kauai
    --
  • Ok, I'm interested to read the replies. I tipped over about 10 minutes into owning my 19mx. Disconnected both sheets, walked out to the bow and got the nose pointed into the wind, tossed the righting line over and myself and teenager from a passing boat (about 320# total) just got the mast off the surface of the water but no luck getting it over. A jet ski came by and he was able to one hand the tip of the mast and send us the rest of the way over. So definitely no chance when solo and I'm not sure my righting bag from the EBay store in Colorado will be enough. The balance point seemed to be right around 320#. Therefore, two guys totaling 350#-360# would be able to get it over with reasonable technique I'd assume.
  • If your mast is leaking you'll likely never right it. I'm not sure how tall the P19 mast is, but I'd guess it's close to 30'. Water weighs 8.3 lbs / gallon, so even a gallon at the tip is going to weigh 249 lbs considering the moment arm. With you and your crew at only 270-280 you're looking at only 20-30 lbs of actual righting weight.

Seal your mast (drain it first!), and the two of you should be able to right it pretty easily.

Edited by timinaustin on Aug 23, 2016 - 12:23 AM.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • Mast filling with water is certainly not helpful. What I have witnessed when folks can not get a cat to right is that the main is not all the way out. Meaning the traveler is not all the way down and the sheet is not all the way out on main. These lines going out does not happen by itself. It takes a bit of effort to get that line all out when the boat is over. If the sail is holding any water it will be nearly impossible.

Edited by bruiser on Aug 23, 2016 - 07:34 PM.
  • Near the top of the page, just beside "logout", is a search button.
    Type "righting catamaran" into the search window, you will find a ton of good info regarding righting bags, technique etc.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.