As I think I mentioned on another thread I watched all your videos and am in awe of the work you have done to give your 5.2 a new lease of life, hopefully you have been able to fixup up that cross bar clamp now and get back out on the water?
I just heard from Slo that my sail is ready to ship so should have it here in Australia in a week or two
In the mean time I have been looking at downhaul options and am about to order the parts for an 8:1 (a double block either side of the clew, 3 cheek blocks and two exit blocks at base of mast). I think the halyard will handle 8:1, as I have 6:1 currently (using cheek blocks on clew plate so need new system for new sail), that said I probably have not loaded the 6:1 to its full extent but the previous owner replaced the hook at the top of the mast with a handmade welded up version so maybe the clue is there that the factory hook wasn't up to the load he used on the 6:1, so that maybe an area for you to watch.
Just wondering what ratio downhaul you have tried so far on This End Up, and also did you find you needed more rake by a hole or two, or more spreader rake?
Edited by aquaaddict on Aug 11, 2017 - 01:21 PM.
'There is nothing, but nothing as much fun as simply messing about in boats'
Anthony, I think i have all those parts, all Harken. I can put them on our airplane,(From Vancouver-Sydney).
If you are interested, send me your email via a PM, i'll send you photos.
Hobie 18 Magnum
Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
Anthony I haven't changed my downhaul setup yet. The 3:1 was able to pull the sail flat, but not much more than that. I have to believe that your existing 6:1 would be adequate and if you didn't fail the hardware on the top of the mast then so much the better. This new sail is pretty flat in the first place compared to the old dacron sails, so once you are able to induce some mast bend with the downhaul I would think you are there. Overdoing it seems like a way to cause more work and complexity than is necessary. So like Andrew suggested, try your existing setup before changing anything.
I did complete the repair on two of the lugs and got everything painted again. Now I just wish I had dug out the lugs in all of the other positions last year when it would have been easy to do. There is no doubt in my mind that the sharp edges on those lugs contributes mightily to this kind of failure. Just adding more fiberglass like I did a year ago may postpone the failure, but wouldn't completely eliminate them.
NACRA 5.2 #400
This End Up
Original owner since 1975
- 0 users
This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.