Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

This End Up Rebuild Update, Interlux Perfection  Bottom

• Here is the latest rebuild update video on the rebuild of This End Up.

https://youtu.be/sjSstD7sRqo

This one shows the fun an adventures of working with Interlux Perfection 2 part polyurethane finish. I now have two coats on the hulls and things are definitely looking up. This is a challenging finish to work with, but as tominpa can attest it works. Whether or not it is less work than spraying a finish on may be questionable, but to do a good spray finish takes specialized equipment and great skill plus the willingness to work with some nasty fumes. Even then you may still get to perfect your finish with careful wet sanding, buffing etc. So if you are patient, willing to do some work and then even some more work this Perfection paint is the finish for you. What I did sort out though was the stuff really likes to be painted flat. Painting vertical works, but flat makes the finish flatten out way better.

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Sure looks nice! I'll be interested to see your solution to creating a low-slip deck and side because that mirror finish should be plenty slippery when wet (maybe a good name for your boat). The spout on the catalyst can will fit on the pigment can, so once you mix a whole batch, you can keep it covered and sealed until used. It's not just to pour or seal the catalyst. You will go 3-coats, but the results look great on the second.

I'll have to review your solution to the top-deck and see if that might be a future improvement. Meanwhile, I'm sailing and should be back at it this week with a new set of Cat Trax. I have repaired the hulls too many times, and hope the wheels prevent any future need to glass and fair the hulls.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Quick question, how far did your roller go before breaking down? Mine was a more conventional 7-inch roller with 1/8" foam nap on a frame. It would easily do both sides of one hull, but started leaving particles midway through the third side. I really like your idea of painting flat, but how did you get the hulls turned to paint the other side? Wait for the paint to cure enough before turning and mix a separate batch? Using any thinner?

Edited by tominpa on Aug 21, 2016 - 09:44 PM.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • The rollers I used lasted just long enough to do one side of the boat and then they started growing. They didn't leave anything on the finish, but quickly became useless once they grew. I did wait about 30 hours before doing the flip side, but did the decks each time, so the decks have 3 coats on them now. It has been really warm here the last few days with very low humidity. Didn't use any thinners, but did occasionally dip the brush in some lacquer thinner and then wiped it down on a rag to make sure it was pretty dry and not gumming up. Actually the first brush I started with died when I left it in Toluene thinking it would save the brush, not, but last check the lacquer thinner was working ok.

I might be concerned about standing on these smooth decks, but I never stand on them, even when using a dock. Most of the time you are jumping on the boat from the side. I think traction is important on the side, but will confirm that one of these days in the not too distant future.

About ready to order a new set of sails and all new rigging, so I must be getting close...............

dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Beautiful work so far! I can't wait to see the finished product

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.