Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

1994 Nacra 5.7  Bottom

• I just picked up a 1994 Nacra 5.7 to complement my 1987 Nacra 5.0. Many thanks to all of you for all the great resources! I searched through the forums and learned all I could before buying the boat and continue to learn as I set up and update the boat. It comes with a set of nice Elliott / Pattison sails including a square top main.

http://morsephoto.com/squamcat/nacra57-1.jpg

I have had the boat out for three days so far in light to moderate wind and she is fast and responsive. I look forward to sailing bigger wind with two of us out on the trapeze.

Edited by SquamCat on Aug 12, 2016 - 07:41 PM.
  • IMO they are still about the best recreational Cat you can buy.
    Righting effort is the same as the 5.0.
    The 5.7 is a quicker boat then the 5.0 in light air. It's surprising how hard you can drive it into rough water. Those fine hulls give a soft ride, & I've only managed to pitchpole mine once.
    If you do manage to turtle it, just grab the righting line, stand on the very end of a downwind hull, & hike. It will come right onto its side.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I was very impressed at how fast the 5.7 is in light air (5 - 10 knots) solo. When the wind picks up to 10 - 15, I flatten the main sail and let the traveler out a bit and she handles great. I did manage to tip over when I was tacking and let go of the main sheet right when a gust came up. I pushed on the hiking stick, but it was released and did nothing. I climbed over the hull and was not able to right it alone. A boat came by a minute later and three young guys climbed on and she came back up quickly. There is still quite a bit of work to do on the boat, but it is August and it is a great time to sail in New Hampshire.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.