Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Getting into Cats  Bottom

• Hey guys im new here and i am looking into picking up a hobie 14', but i have also been looking at a few hobie 16', i have sailed sabots of course and capri 14's alot a couple years back... any advice for the new guy?
  • Are you planning to sail solo or with crew?

A H14 is good starter cat for one person.

A 16 footer is a good size cat. You can comfortably sail solo or with crew.

There are a lot of different new & used cats out there. Try to get a ride on each to help your decision. To find a ride check out a local club. You'll usually find a captain looking for crew.

Once you narrow the type and size of cat place another post.

Fraser
  • i plan on mainly sailing it alone but i want to beable to have 2 other people with me very very occasionally.... i am just looking into having some fun out on the open water without worrying about cleaning out the jet skiis and maintaining a motor and paying 6 bucks a gallon at the marina
  • When it comes to your choice of cats, you must consider 2 factors:-
    1)circumstances. How many times a week do you plan to sail, are you a social/recreational sailor or are you competitive. Will you sail alone or will you have crew and most important of all, your skill level?
    2) Location. Will you have to trailer the cat a long distance or do you live on/near a lake/ocean?
    The reason you need to consider all these factors become apparent once you start sailing. If you live in the burbs and have to haul approx 1 hr to lake and will be sailing alone and skill level is beginner, H14 is the only choice. Takes up a small area, easy to park alongside house, easy to haul, easy to setup, easy to sail solo and easy to right if you flip the cat, and you will flip at some point. H14 Turbo is also a good call, has a jib sail, usually on a roller furler, easy to depower in a critical situation.
    If you have space, live on/near a lake/ocean, will be sailing with crew, H16 is the way to go. Trailers easy, not so easy to setup solo unless you have a mast raising/step system or the cat is sitting on a beach and you can hand over hand the mast vertical And you will not be able to right the cat if you turn it over solo.
    I live 1 hr away from the nearest sizeable lake, I have a mast step setup, I have a righting system, I have rigged my cat with a roller furler, I sail solo almost all the time, I sail at least once a week and my skill level is moderate. I sail a H16.
    I have tried to anticipate as many hazards as possible but have still had some scary experiences sailing solo. And thats the key point, sailing solo, I usually go sailing one day during the week and there is no one around except a couple of "good ole boys" busy fishing and I never see them. I know they're out there 'cause I see their trailers parked at the ramp. But if something did happen, there is no one to shout to for help.
    One needs to consider all factors in making a decision, remembering that every sport has it's hazards, I hope that this info helps when you make yours. Sailing a cat is a trip, especially when you're trapped out on a reach doing about 20-25 knots on the edge of no control, not many thrills to top that.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • icon_biggrin

edited by: turbohobo, May 19, 2008 - 05:45 PM

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I'd offer just a few additional comments. Regarding the H-14, for the receational sailor the Hobie Wave may be a better choice as it has much more hull volume. Sailing a H-14 with 2 people aboard makes it a semi-summersible sailing dog.

On the H-16 singlehanded righting of a capasize is a challenge and real risk. There are righting devices, shround extenders and water bags but if it is blowing stink you may be in trouble before you can deploy a righting device. Single handed mast stepping of the H-16 doesn't require any extra gear. Simply step the mast in the normal fashion with a line tied to the forestay looped under the bridle and back to the tramp. Once the mast is vertical just snug this line and cleat it off. Then step down and put in your forestay pin.
    NaviGator
  • HEY HEY, I just got my first Cat.
    I took a trip downriver from Chicago, and met up with a fella from Wisconsin, Long story Short, When I got to Tarpon Springs FL. I ran out of money, My wife ran out of patience, and I gave this guy my 1969 Pearson 33' so he calls me a few months later and offers me his old Nacra 5.2
    looks like a great boat I need a wet suit I think, or a dry suit, I will be finding out the difference soon. I will be sailing out of Illinois beach state park. Good Luck I am happy to be here.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.