Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Another Mast Repair  Bottom

• Just picked up a Nacra 5.0 with lots of goodies for a deal. The mast was the only thing in question.

The previous owner said he used this mast as is under some good winds while trapping (mostly solo)
    He said its been this way since he's owned it and he never thought twice about it.
    I am a little worried about it. I tried to put some pressure to it & it seems solid and its totally sealed but I can't put the same force on it as it will take under wind. It is above the tangs so I'm not sure it is a big deal or not. But I am not sure of how the load is applied to the mast.
    I think I could get a used 5.0 mast locally for $250 but would prefer to spend that on other items I want to change.

Thoughts?

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124119&g2_serialNumber=4<br />

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=124115&g2_serialNumber=4<br />

Thanks

--
    Todd

Virginia Beach, VA

Nacra 5.0
    --
  • 250 is dirt cheap for a mast in good shape
    If you can find one in good shape for that little, locally, and your worried about your current mast, I would suggest you go buy the mast (quickly before someone else does)

then you have tons of options

you can either take the mast out (old) and test it
    or
    keep the old mast and keep the new as a back up (or vise versa)
    or
    test the old mast and sell the new one for the same amount or a bit more
    or
    sell the old one for close to the cost of the new one

turn the old one into a nice flagpole in your front yard
    etc
  • Rig the boat on the beach, hoist the mainsail, let off the rotator (so the mast rotates to 90 degrees), crank down on your mainsheet hard. Release the mainsheet, rotate the mast 90 degrees the other direction, and repeat. If the mast holds, then you're probably fine.

sm
  • I agree with all of the above comments. I suspect that what is under the mud job is a pretty big dent from dropping the mast during set up or take down or maybe the boat was blown over while set up. It is far enough up the mast that I would doubt it would cause a problem, but it could. If it failed it wouldn't be a catastrophe, just a nasty bent mast and it would be hard to get the sail down. Same dent below the mast hound would be an entirely different story. So if you have access to a good mast at $250 now it would be hard to pass that up. Masts for these boats are going to quickly become collector items and the prices are certainly only going up.
    dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Thanks for the replies.

It came with the original main so I think I will try to hoist it with that sail and see what happens.
    My 5.0 doesn't have any rotation limiter so I guess I will be sticking close to shore for the maiden voyage.

I also found out the mast/s are sold. Though there may be a 5.2 mast near. I guess I could fit it to the 5.0 somehow if needed.

--
    Todd

Virginia Beach, VA

Nacra 5.0
    --
  • turtlevb,
    if it were me, i would remove that patch and see what's actually under there. (sellers have a way of 'bending' the truth, believe it or not.) that way, you'd know what it really looks like and how far you might trust it under load. i'm not above making repairs but it's an unsightly patch, which to me indicates the previous owner didn't take care of his property, also evidenced by the mast damage. who knows how it was treated?
    and, a mast that fails while sailing (honkin') can injure someone or destroy your sail(s).
    j

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --
  • Just think through what you would do if the mast did suddenly bend over. It won't completely come apart, it would buckle and bend and then only when it was under very high load. Probably a little interesting to sail in that condition, but would still be sailable to get you back home. Then the fun would be getting the sail down even if the boat was on its side, the sail is not going to want to move past the bend too easily. You can keep sailing until you find another mast at the price you want to pay.

If when you are sailing hard you see the mast bending more extremely at the defect then you will need to do something sooner, rather than later. But if the mast has a nice even bend even through the damaged area this may not be a very big deal.
    dg

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • I am not sure how to open the patch job up other than grinding the whole thing out. Which would put me back to have to start from scratch or possibly making it worse.
    I spoke with the previous owner last night and he assured me again he double trapped on it and it was always like that since he owned it, but........

arch (sellers have a way of 'bending' the truth, believe it or not.)

We are predicted for some light winds this afternoon. I think I am going to hoist the old sail and see what it looks like with 10mph of load. I ultimately want to have the kids and family out on the boat so I really want to see what it can handle before they come aboard.

--
    Todd

Virginia Beach, VA

Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Leave the patch alone, & sail it. I have a bigger dent than that,(with no filler), in the same place, on a 5.7
    The loads decease above the mast hound. (My 20' Mystere was tapered quite a bit in the upper section). The upper section doesn't need to be as strong, but these older boats simply used the same section all the way as it was cheaper.
    We have tripled, in 25mph, (two on the wire, one sitting on hull), for 5 years, with no ill effects. The 5.0 mast is 2' shorter than the 5.7, smaller sail=lighter loads. The 5.0 is overbuilt, they are a very tough boat. As Dogboy said, crank on your blocks,(factory is only 5:1). You don't have a beam or rotator, but is you sail downwind, the mast will rotate on its own.
    If you do keep an eye out for a replacement, try to get the newer style. You don't mention the year of yours, but the older ones have the spreader bar,(non adjustable), going through the mast. The newer style is adjustable, & attaches to a SS fitting the wraps around the mast. The old style is impossible to make watertight, & a detriment if you turtle.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.