Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Can a P18 mast be cut down for a P16  Bottom

• Need to replace a P16 mast. Have a spare P18 mast some fair distance away. Is it the same cross section dimensions as the P16, if so, I can cut it down to size. If not I have a catamaran dock. Need to see if its worth the trip to go get it.
  • Could be, but you're looking at a lot of changes. Why don't you sell the mast to the guy in Delaware who needs one (parts wanted section) and I can ship you a P-16 mast. Pete 909-800-5237
  • That's an idea. I'll need a mast and a tramp for the P16. What would they be worth and what is the cost of shipping a mast up here to Ontario. The tramp folds up nice......
  • mhbarnhartif so, I can cut it down to size?

Way too much work!
    The 18 mast has diamond stays, a different base on the mast and crossbar, a mast rotator, and you have to cut off three feet ish.
    In order to get the hound in the right place for the stays, you will probably have to cut both ends.
    Next you will need the mast and crossbar bases, and re-attach the mainsail hook near the top.
    Now you have to plug the dozen holes in the mast from the spreaders and diamond wires, to keep it from filling with water and going turtle when you capsize.
    Not worth it, expensive in itself and the mast will be weakened by those empty holes. There is no strong way to fill them.
    My $0.02.

Edited by klozhald on Jul 27, 2016 - 09:16 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • You,re in Ontario?
    Try a search on Kijiji, all of ON If you are in the Ottawa area, add PQ, there a tons of Cats around Montreal.
    there are several P16's for sale.
    It may be better to strike a deal in CDN$, and zero tax, little shipping. Buy a boat, & keep if better, & part out yours, or keep what you need of the kijiji boat & part out the rest.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • P-16 tramp $300 plus UPS. Mast $200 plus $150 shipping to Buffalo or Detroit. Ship your P-18 mast to Delaware at same terminal. Pete
  • Put the 18 mast on the 16 and and find a used set of 18 sails..... we did this once... it rocks.... you can still use your 16 sail if it is too radical for you..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • You would still have to use P18 rigging as well and if you use a p16 sail you would need to install a lower ring hook at the top. Would she hard to use p16 jib as well because the ring at the top of the p18 rigging would be higher than the p16 should be. This might make you jib control lines a little awkward if not to short to reach. Also would need to make sure you have the cleat on the boom to connect the p18 mast rotation arm to.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • pbegleP-16 Mast $200 plus $150 shipping to Buffalo or Detroit. Pete

Hi Pete,
    (Thanks for your recent help with the Nacra crossbar adjuster. Again, sorry about the trouble re: the batten.)
    I'm parting out my P16 and there's not much demand for the mast here in Minneapolis. I hate to sell the mast for scrap. Are you willing to share how you manage to ship masts cross-country for $150? Perhaps I could find someone who wants it if I can figure out a way to ship it.

Peter

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.