Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Supercat 20 Information SC20  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Can anyone school me here on a Supercat 20?

My cousin is looking at one and neither of us know anything about them.

What should we be looking for with one of these boats that could keep it from becoming a money pit

Thanks

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • The SC 20 is one powerful, fast a## catamaran. Due to many factors, expect to spend 1.5 to 2 times more per replacement part (rigging, tramp, sails, etc) than other cats. It takes longer to set up due to size and weight. It was not designed or built as and is Not A Beginners boat. Otherwise it is a hard charging, fast, some-what well behaved large catamaran.
  • Great boat, with good support still from Aquarius Sails. Boat specific parts are likely expensive but mostly available. 12ft beam makes setup slow, but also makes it very stable. They had a standard and tall rig available, can't remember mast length difference. Very powerful, so I agree not a beginner boat. I learned to trapeze on one and it was so easy, like trapezing on a sidewalk compared to a H16 due to the rounded hull shape.

They are a wetter boat than most when the wind picks up. It is a predictable boat as the wind picks up, don't try to pitchpole and lifts a hull fairly smoothly. Would sail with 3-4 people regularly with no problem, but solo in the right conditions it is amazing.

They can be tricky to right, but ours had shroud extenders to help with that and could be done with 2 people just took extra time to get ready to right it. Also had to climb up the tramp to access the extended 12' in the air (rope ladder built into the underside of our tramp)

Hope that helps.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • fun, fast boat
    as mentioned - likes to puke water all over the crew at speed
    crazy heavy mast

solid boat but I have seen a few transoms ripped off of super cats - not sure if it's a known issue or just a fluke that it happened to a few of them on our beach (we have a shoal right off the beach that "non-locals" seem to be magnetically attracted to)

not for the newbe or single handed sailor (unless you are real good at sailing, depowering, and yelling "Waaaahoooo")
  • Its a great boat, just keep in mind that a 12 foot beam is whole new world. If you have permanent mast up storage or a tilt trailer, no big deal, but assembling and dissembling for trailering is a beast. It takes the fun out real quick.

I have heard that original bow tangs can fail and should be replaced. The boat I sail on already had that done.

Ditto on replacement part costs, things like tramp and daggerboards are a pretty expensive. I have also had zero luck in finding used sails so plan on new if they need replacing. Other costs like standing rigging seem reasonable for a boat that size. I really dislike the cable car traveler, and the one I sail on has zero jib block adjustment which I also do not like, but those are minor issues.
  • What don't you like about the traveler? I've found it to be the best operating, freest running traveler of any boat I've sailed.

Also what Scott failed to mention is that while the SC20 can be a bit of a handful in high winds, it is also the boat we learned to sail on. Our 2nd Hobie was a 16 but we didn't get that until 6+ years later. That was his "sail after work" boat that he and MY girlfriend (now wife) would go sailing on 3 days a week while I was still working!

-Eric
    H16 (technically Scott's boat, but it is in my yard icon_razz )
    H18
    SC20
  • The traveler flops around in light wind, especially when beating into ocean swells. Just use to a fixed track I guess. I feel like the only reason they use the cable system is because of the rear telescoping beam. When you buy a fixed beam from Aquarius, they sell it with a track and harken traveler, which I believe would be an advisable upgrade.
  • I'll jump over hear since this thread is about SC 20's. If someone where to cut say 1' off the bottom of the dagger boards how much of a performance hit would the boat take? Would it be slightly noticeable, but not a huge deal. Or, would the boat fail to sail upwind at all? Anyone have real life experience with something similar?

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • I've never tried that, but instead I would just drill a hole through the board and tie a rope through it as a stopper. Then you still have full length boards in the future. What is your goal? Are you racing or sailing with the kids? If you're sailing with the kids I suspect you'd never notice the difference.
  • I sail one with no boards and it's not the end of the world. Doesn't tack as well and certainly slips to the Lee some, but it's tolerable. I have seen Sc19's with half length boards and I'm sure they were effective enough. I would think twice before cutting them considering there cost, and you don't have to sail with them all the way down
  • I like that answer! Just sailing with kids and/or friends. I intend to also use it as transportation to spoil banks and mud flats for some wade fishing.

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • chump23I'll jump over hear since this thread is about SC 20's. If someone where to cut say 1' off the bottom of the dagger boards how much of a performance hit would the boat take? Would it be slightly noticeable, but not a huge deal. Or, would the boat fail to sail upwind at all? Anyone have real life experience with something similar?

I had been told that the SC19 could be sailed either with or without boards but didn't know if that was true or if it applies to the SC20 so I went to the source and asked Aquarius Sails directly. Got an answer from Tom Haberman.
    quoted email
    meI've been told in the past that a Supercat 19 could be sailed well with
    or without the daggerboards. Is that true? And if so then can a Supercat
    20 also?
    AquariusThe SC20 can be sailed without the daggerboards but it certainly will not go to weather all that well, but having said that a half board down will work wonders for pointing ability and the tip of dagger will still be above the rudder tip ..The hull shape is very round below the waterline and much wider compared to the SC19 &17. The Sc17&19 have a much higher fineness ratio so they track well without the daggerboard.

Comparing the SC19 to the SC20 in regards to no daggers is not too difficult. The SC19 is basically a SC17 on steroids. The design CLR is very far forward on the hull where as the SC20 CLR it is in the more classical location around the daggerboard. So if you sail the SC19 without daggers and sail it like the SC17 ( bow down to the tapes or deeper) it will go to weather just like an SC17 , (probably a bit higher) . As long as you keep the bows down and windward hull up it is pretty amazing going to weather and off the wind it is significantly faster because the hulls is much cleaner without the daggerboard trunk causing the turbulence and attendant drag.

Sailing either the SC17 or SC19 from the back of the bus is a deal killer, just stay forward and keep the boat on the tapes up wind they will go to weather as good or better than comparable vintage designs.

Hope this helps. Any other questions just give us a shout . 651-462-SAIL

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks, Damon. That's interesting. Well, maybe I'll see what I can do about that SC20 in Austin!

--
    Hobie Getaway
    Prindle 18 - Sold
    South Padre Island, TX
    --
  • I've redone 2 20's amd have had to replace the bow tangs in each of them. It's a pretty good job, but not impossible. Here's a thread on the Aquarius Forum documenting the redo of the first showing the bow tang replacement http://owners.aquarius-sa…/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=600

The latest one I did is for sale, but it's pricey due to all the upgrades I did to it (solid beams, self tacking jib, tramps, sails, top down furling spin, etc...)

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • Great info Damon. Nice to see how responsive Aquarius was.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • lakewatereeI've redone 2 20's amd have had to replace the bow tangs in each of them. It's a pretty good job, but not impossible. Here's a thread on the Aquarius Forum documenting the redo of the first showing the bow tang replacement http://owners.aquarius-sa…/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=600

The latest one I did is for sale, but it's pricey due to all the upgrades I did to it (solid beams, self tacking jib, tramps, sails, top down furling spin, etc...)

Awesome build report and that was a sharp looking boat when done...

Inspiration!

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • A little more info from Aquarius about the status of the Supercat models.

AquariusI would like to correct a misconception about SUPERCAT availability.

The only SUPERCATS not built anymore are the SC15 & SC20. The SC20 was replaced by the ARC22 . The RC27 , RC30 and ARC17 were added to our product line in early 1990's . The SC17 is still available as well as the SC19, SC19X and SC19XL versions.

Many changes in production methods and materials over the years yield a much lighter and stiffer hull thanks to the use of epoxy and much improved core materials as well as a much refined vacuum bag process. . Details make a difference.

Just too many things to list right now. Each boat is built to order and we try very hard to match the boat to the clients needs and sailing venues.

Parts are available for all older SUPERCATS and we try keep prices in line but unfortunately in some cases trying to update and restore older models at 2016 prices sometimes leads to sticker shock.

Sail fast and have fun.
  • Aquarius are doing their best, but certain parts are about 2-3x what market value should. Daggerboards are a case in point, I was quoted north of $2500 per ARC22 daggerboard. When the euro was up and Nacra parts weren't as cheap as they are now, an Infusion Mk. 2 longboard set you back $1350 each. It's about the same amount of carbon in each (perhaps a bit more in the ARC22 board), but the Mk. 2 board is fabricated in an Autoclave with pre-preg carbon, the Aquarius board I have is glass (though I suspect the new ones are Carbon). At that price point, it would almost be, or possibly is, more cost effective to drop the Nacra F20 carbon C-boards into the ARC22.
  • Just a quick note of support for Aquarius.
    I own a Supercat 15 and they have been super with supplying me parts and advice for the 8 years or so I have owned this old, discontinued boat that still rocks. I am constantly amazed by the performance it has compared to a lot of other Hobies and others in its general "class".
    They have gotten me sails, running rigging and standing rigging all without a hassle, and in my case, all at rationale prices. I don't expect them to be the cheapest, but they have always been fair for the quality and responsiveness I have received.
    We need more suppliers like them.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • The designer of the Supercats (Mr Roberts) comes up to Jacksonville every year in an ARC 30 and usually wins line honors in the Mug Race. He is a former aerospace engineer and boat designer and designed the Supercat lineup because he felt the hobie 16's were just too dangerous when they pitch poled. If you notice all of the supercats have fairly large and rounded hulls and in some of the smaller models that sail well without daggerboards, the hull shape is symmetrical but still has a shape on the bottom that allows them to tack and track well.

There is a gentleman who comes up every year for the same race with a Supercat 20 and he sets it up and takes it down solo without too much effort. He does have a custom winch he built with a fulcrum on the mast for raising but that is about it.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.