Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

PFD Preference  Bottom

• Have not seen a pfd thread in a while and was wondering what one you are using and if it fits your needs.
    I am in the market for a new one and it has to have pockets.

Thanks,
    Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Pete, there were a few, a couple of years ago.
    I use a Stolquist,(sp?), it's a white water kayak PFD. I really like it, but i don't think it is any better than others, only because it is a WW Kayak, it is "short". That makes it very easy to access the hook for your trap.
    My wife also has one, she mucks around in the kayaks, & always thinks she will splash it.
    Mine only has a mesh pocket for whistle, & a couple other VERY small items. It will not hold your VHF.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • After an experience a few weeks ago when I got caught in a 60 kph squal that threw me from my boat and I spent 2+ hours in the drink I can say a few things. First, thank god for the PFD, it saved my life in those waves. I was in the middle of a small 10 km by 10 km lake but no one was around to help. I can honestly say I would have drowned without it, and I'm a good swimmer.

Second, in that situation you want a great PFD. I have a Stolquist kayaking one but I really would have liked something that wouldn't ride up as much while I was in the drink. It was hard to swim with. I was considering a bouyancy aid but after that experience I'm thinking of something on the other side of the spectrum. It needs to be comfortable but also serviceable.

Third, that damn whistle is useless in a blow. Get yourself a strobe as a backup so someone can see you! I also have a pair of 35 km waterproof walkie talkies now.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • VERY Good Points Dave !

I use the WestMarine pdf http://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/full/P008_240_007_508_FUL.jpg

it is pretty good. can ride up a bit when in the water, but has lots of straps to adjust it so you can cinch the waist strap to reduce that

has lots of pockets and even internal "slots" (inside the pockets) to hold tools and knives in place

the main problem with this pfd is that it comes from west marine - one of my least favorite places to shop (they are more expensive than other places and I would much rather support a local small shop vs a box store).
  • The Zihk pfd is the best, hands down imo, and we have kayaking vests and monohull vests. It's made to meet European, not USCG, regs, and as a consequence is very wearable. It's the only vest I've consistently worn, and yes, it has a pocket. And if you do manage to pitch pole at 17.2 kts, it floats great.

--
    Falcon F-16
    Taipan 4.9
    S2 7.9
    --
  • does it still float at 19 knots?
    QuoteAnd if you do manage to pitch pole at 17.2 kts, it floats great
  • I use an Extrasport kayaking vest and love it. Not sure which model has the pockets you are looking for. Mine is older with one large pocket for radio and a smaller pocket for whistle, knife etc. some of the fishing vests have a ton of little pockets, but didn't see many pockets designed to hold a radio. Good luck in your search.

I have heard new laws regarding pfd's come out next year so that will likely change what options you have. Making the US laws closer to the global standards I think.....

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • West Marine is Prohibitively expensive, it blows my mind. They had rope sale, 40% off, it was still too expensive. I think they stay in business from the things people forget last minute on the way to the boat

Quotethe main problem with this pfd is that it comes from west marine - one of my least favorite places to shop (they are more expensive than other places and I would much rather support a local small shop vs a box store).
  • I have been looking at both stolquist and Astral. Bought the girl an Astral couple years back and she still likes it.
    I came across that west marine one last night and seems quite nice. Have a store close by. I also don't have a lot of love for them but that pfd is $70 which is not bad at all considering the other options. Probably stop in and try one on.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • QuoteI came across that west marine one last night and seems quite nice. Have a store close by. I also don't have a lot of love for them but that pfd is $70 which is not bad at all considering the other options. Probably stop in and try one on.

I buy mine when there is a sale - they are on sale a few times a year

QuoteWest Marine is Prohibitively expensive, it blows my mind. They had rope sale, 40% off, it was still too expensive. I think they stay in business from the things people forget last minute on the way to the boat

They are the "store of last resort" for me and just about everyone I talk to

They have terrible selection of worthless line at my local store.
    I needed a large (12') poly roller for a custom mast cradle. They wanted $42 for it. I needed it right then so I bought it (the 10" one for $38 to save a few $) - found it online for $23.49 - http://www.iboats.com/mall/image/view/6/5/122-rp10_0.jpg

Here is a bit more history why I hate them: I buy their crappy sailing gloves (on sale). they cost about 1/2 the price of Harken gloves (but also last 1/2 the time the harkens do). I buy them there because .... I lose a lot of gloves ... anyway ... one day I buy a set of gloves and some other misc stuff.. all low cost items. I am talking with the cute girl at check out and don't realize the gloves have run up a few dollars more than advertised. I don't realize this till I am home. I call the store and they say "come on in - we will correct it". Good answer but I'm not driving back to the store for $2.34 (or whatever the over charge was... wasn't a lot).

Next time I go into the store to buy gloves I pay closer attention. Guess what. they try to overcharge me again. I tell the girl, she calls the manager. He authorizes my "discount" (just matching the advertised price). When I ask him why it keep happening he says "I can't do any thing about it". I ask him why can't you set up your register / database to match your advertised price. He again say's he can't do anything about it. I tell him "if you systematically and regularly overcharge your customers, without the ability to fix the issue... I will find another vendor whom I can trust. He says something to the effect of "whatever".

So screw westMarine

Edited by MN3 on Jul 14, 2016 - 10:25 AM.
  • Stopped into WM today to try on the Medalist. It fit really well and has two surprisingly big pockets. Not that I carry a radio on my person but I think it would fit. Having some money left on a gift card I went ahead and bought it. I have a two day regatta this weekend if the wind comes up, so hopefully I can give it a workout.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • cool
    I'm pretty happy with mine

I carry a knife, sailing multi-tool and 9/16th wrench (fits my rudder if they need an adjustment) in my pockets

and I have a whistle attached to the outside of my jacket so I can whistle like crazy if some near me does something stupid (we have lots of asshat power boaters, pwc, SUP, and kayakers who are pretty ignorant of the rules and some are straight up dangerous on the water (pull off the shore full throttle without really looking around first or pull kids on inertubes behind powerboats in the channel)

QuoteStopped into WM today to try on the Medalist. It fit really well and has two surprisingly big pockets.
  • After a trap line broke, I went in the drink and had to swim for a long time to catch the boat which flipped on its way back (very bad conditions). The cheap pfd rode up into my arm pits so much arm motion was much resisted. I used to competitively swim but losing ability to swim effectively was scary and therefore dangerous. Updared to a Stohlquist Rocker I keep snug. Fit is key.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I've got three in my quiver at the moment; Zhik, Kokatat MS-Fit Tour, Forward Sailing.

The Zhik is GREAT, but when I'm doing a race where more significant risk is involved, I use the Kokatat. There are six pockets and by the time you put; food, tools, spare parts/line, GPS, PLB, knife, whistle, mirror, cell phone in dry bag, you need every single one of them! A lot of the gear is required by race rules, hence the quantity of "stuff" in my vest. I don't think I could get all of it in my Zhik and would be worried about things falling out since nothing is segregated and there isn't a zipper.

I've not sailed in the Forward vest yet, but it's very comfortable on land so far.

I went in the drink during our last presail the day before the FL300 start b/c of a bad knot tied by ground crew. The Kokatat vest allowed me to swim and didn't ride up.
  • Had a chance to spend quite a few hours in the medalist this past weekend. Found it very comfortable and out
    of the way when getting on the hook. Never had pockets before and during the start sequence I desperately
    needed a shackle which so happens was in my pocket. Got the issue fixed and made the start. Have not been in the water with it yet. So far I am happy with it.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.