Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

what hobie 17 parts are interchangeable with Hobie 16  Bottom

• hi all - am a first time poster though long time troller on this site. I just bought a H16 that is old but should be seaworthy- orange hulls (original finish). it has the aluminium mast and white rudders. I have an opportunity to buy a disassembled h17 that is a bit beaten up and thought I might be able to salvage the traps (I have none) and maybe use the rudders as backup if needed. I have some thoughts on using the wings on the 16 as well but that is a project. Mast is bent so nothing there for me. Any thoughts on the trap equipment and rudders? thanks very much
    Don
  • Trap wires are a dead match. Rudders are technically the same, but I think the pivot holes are slightly different, so I think you have to fill and redrill. Unless the H17 is basically free it won't help much for your 16. If you do get it things like main sheet system, hiking stick, drain plugs, and as many misc shackles and pins you can grab are all nice to have. The wings won't fit a 16 and 16's aren't really cut out for wings

Edited by jalex on Jun 20, 2016 - 09:43 PM.
  • Ditto what was stated above - the trap wires are similar and would probably work, but only if you want to set up a single trap (per side). If you want double traps, you're outta luck. The rudder blades themselves are the same, but the hole patterns are (very) different and would need to be re-drilled. The rudder assemblies are totally different, although the tiller crossbar may be the same or able to be retro-fitted. The mainsheet system on the 17 should be low profile Harken 6:1 and would be a nice upgrade on the 16. Almost none of the other parts are interchangeable between the 17 & 16 except for a few small items (shroud anchor bolts, bars, & adjusters, and a few small things like pins and shackles). Sail, mast, boom, crossbars, tramp - all the big ticket items are specific to each particular boat and not interchangeable.

sm
  • thanks very much Jalex and Dogboy. Very helpful.
    Don

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.