Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindles repair / possible project  Bottom

• Hello ,

I was wondering if you guys can point me on the right directions, first I came across some 19' prindles with holes , I want to repair them, if can still be salvage , what materials / kit do I need to buy to repair it ?

I want to turn it onto small fishing platform /pontoon , any ideas also ? on how to attach a fiberglass platform to it ?

http://dicards.com/images1/prindles.jpg

http://dicards.com/images1/prindles2.jpg

http://dicards.com/images1/prindles3.jpg

Edited by leonardojz1 on May 17, 2016 - 02:52 PM.
  • you can plug holes up with glass cloth, epoxy (or polyester resin) and elbow grease

I would wonder why there are holes and if there are other structural issues before investing time and money
  • MN3you can plug holes up with glass cloth, epoxy (or polyester resin) and elbow grease

I would wonder why there are holes and if there are other structural issues before investing time and money

pictures attached , thanks
  • those aren't holes - those are canyons ...

I would say those are major repairs.
    duable but major.
    I have seen entire bows ripped off and re-attached but that took 10 months and lot$ of cash

if you are not planning on sailing that boat again and "clean" repairs don't matter all that much (that don't create drag underwater) - then you could do some giant craptastic repairs on it so it will float.

if you plan to put a motor on it and drive it over 15mph... you probably need some structural stringers or other inplace to prevent total hull failure.

I would probably NOT invest 100's in epoxy and go find some crapped out catamaran that is missing sails mast and boom. You can most likely get one cheaper than the parts needed for that "repair"
  • those aren't holes - those are canyons ...

I would say those are major repairs.
    duable but major.
    I have seen entire bows ripped off and re-attached but that took 10 months and lot$ of cash

if you are not planning on sailing that boat again and "clean" repairs don't matter all that much (that don't create drag underwater) - then you could do some giant craptastic repairs on it so it will float.

if you plan to put a motor on it and drive it over 15mph... you probably need some structural stringers or other inplace to prevent total hull failure.

I would probably NOT invest 100's in epoxy and go find some crapped out catamaran that is missing sails mast and boom. You can most likely get one cheaper than the parts needed for that "repair"
  • There's one here in San Diego craigslist with platform for $500 asking. Pete

Edited by pbegle on May 17, 2016 - 09:14 PM.
  • Excuse me, double post

Edited by catmodding on May 18, 2016 - 12:44 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • WALK AWAY !!

Hulls in that condition aren't worth the cost of a epoxy/fiberglass
    repair.
    Take Pete's advice and get something that floats.

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • thanks for you advice, wanted to get on a project but you are right, probably too expensive and not worth the effort

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.