COASTAL WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH FL OUT
    20 NM-
    WATERS FROM JUPITER INLET TO DEERFIELD BEACH FL FROM 20 TO 60 NM-
    350 AM EDT THU MAY 19 2016

TODAY
    SOUTH WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS. SEAS AROUND 2 FEET. DOMINANT PERIOD
    3 SECONDS. INTRACOASTAL WATERS A LIGHT CHOP. NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND
    THUNDERSTORMS.
  • Thanks Daemon for the photos and results!!

I know the Gulfstream comes close at times to the race course, but is still usually 3+ miles offshore. Team Tavernier marina likely got caught in tidal current (rip tides or rip currents), NOT the Gulfstream. Feel free to post a satellite image debunking this.

Curious how Tavernier marina received a score if they didn't cross the line after breaking their rig? Also curious how they broke their mast and if they had a spare for today?

Glad the boats are back on the beach safe.

Edited by samc99us on May 19, 2016 - 07:17 PM.
  • As far as the Gulfstream, I was going by what the locals were saying, but you are probably right technically it would be a rip current influenced by the Gulf Stream. I was told this particular area was where the stream is the closest to the East Coast of Florida, but I didn't look at any Satellite imagery to verify.

Tavernier didn't sail today and as far as I know they are out and don't have a backup mast.

They were finished by the race officer when they reached the beach.

The assistance they received was covered by rule 21.8 in the Sailing Instructions.
    https://docs.google.com/d…KjJCu2xCFYNTYZqrQw/edit#

Basically team to team assistance is expected if needed. There are time allowances for the assister and time penalties for the team receiving assistance.

Also, the Dutch team "Dutch Rockerz" on a bowered Nacra F18 also broke there mast and didn't sail today, but they did acquire a replacement mast and spent today re-rigging the boat and they will start the Fourth leg. The skipper of the Dutch Rockerz is Bob Henson, the head of Nacra Europe (which is all of Nacra now), so has a few contacts.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Another day another beach! It's a tough job but somebody has to do it!

The last two days have included severe thunderstorms popping up midway through each leg. Yesterday we got pounded on the beach while the boats were dealing with west winds and sailing on the "wrong" tack most of the way. So much rain, lets just say everything got a fresh water rinse.

Can you all do me a favor? Please subscribe to the race YouTube channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCB8kiOrwmOnzMNUKQfVDAw
    We need 100 subscribers to get a custom shorter URL and unlock some other features. All the videos so far I've shot and uploaded myself but there is a LOT of footage that will be edited and turned into some really nice videos.

Thanks, On to Cocoa Beach today. Results through three days are posted on the http://www.Florida300.com website.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DamonLinkous
    Can you all do me a favor? Please subscribe to the race YouTube channel.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCB8kiOrwmOnzMNUKQfVDAw

Subscribed 2x (I have a few google accounts)
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnWXg8VeRFs
    Holly Cruddd!
    I can't believe the way they are sailing their 30,000 n20 up the beach
  • subscribed.

Here's the weather for today (Damon, note the location of the western wall of the Stream :):

SYNOPSIS...THE ATLANTIC RIDGE WILL PRODUCE A LIGHT SOUTHERLY
    WIND FLOW AND BENIGN SEAS TODAY. WINDS WILL INCREASE OUT OF THE
    SOUTHWEST ON SATURDAY AHEAD OF A FRONTAL TROUGH WHICH WILL PASS
    THROUGH THE REGION ON SUNDAY NIGHT. THE MAIN MARINE CONCERN WILL
    CONTINUE TO BE SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND STORMS MOVING
    OFFSHORE THROUGH THIS WEEKEND.
    DRIER CONDITIONS WILL SPREAD SOUTH
    LATE SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY.

.GULF STREAM HAZARDS...NONE.

THE APPROXIMATE LOCATION OF THE WEST WALL OF THE GULF STREAM BASED
    ON THE REAL TIME OCEAN FORECAST SYSTEM FROM WEDNESDAY MAY 18TH.

43 NAUTICAL MILES EAST OF PONCE INLET.
    32 NAUTICAL MILES EAST OF PORT CANAVERAL.
    26 NAUTICAL MILES EAST OF SEBASTIAN INLET.
    17 NAUTICAL MILES EAST OF FORT PIERCE INLET.
    10 NAUTICAL MILES EAST OF SAINT LUCIE INLET.

AMZ552-201430-
    VOLUSIA-BREVARD COUNTY LINE TO SEBASTIAN INLET 0-20 NM-
    407 AM EDT FRI MAY 20 2016

TODAY
    WEST WINDS 5 TO 10 KNOTS BECOMING EAST 10 KNOTS IN THE
    AFTERNOON. SEAS 1 TO 2 FEET WITH A DOMINANT PERIOD 8 SECONDS. A
    LIGHT CHOP ON THE INTRACOASTAL WATERS. CHANCE OF SHOWERS AND
    THUNDERSTORMS.

They'd have to go out at least 10nm to get into the Stream, which sounds a good idea until one remembers that the weather is all thermal, so to quote Mr Smyth: "Never Leave The Beach."

Edited by jaybird1111 on May 20, 2016 - 10:52 AM.
  • jaybird1111(Damon, note the location of the western wall of the Stream :):

On reflection, the guy giving me the Gulf Stream information was drunk. In fact he was later loudly run off the beach by one of the teams for annoying the sh_t out of them. icon_lol

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • jaybird1111(Damon, note the location of the western wall of the Stream :):

On reflection, the guy giving me the Gulf Stream information was drunk. In fact he was later loudly run off the beach by one of the teams for annoying the sh_t out of them. icon_lol

MN3https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnWXg8VeRFs
    Holly Cruddd!
    I can't believe the way they are sailing their 30,000 n20 up the beach

Ha! It's funny you picked that video, that boat is the oldest most patched together in the fleet. It's skipper Mark Ferber could buy anything he wants but he keeps patching that one for another Worrell/Tybee/Florida300 right before this race he sailed/carried it 1200 miles from St. Pete to Jacksonville on some kind of endurance run.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DamonLinkousOn reflection, the guy giving me the Gulf Stream information was drunk. In fact he was later loudly run off the beach by one of the teams for annoying the sh_t out of them. icon_lol

oh, that musta been Coach! lulz
  • DamonLinkous
    Ha! It's funny you picked that video, that boat is the oldest most patched together in the fleet. It's skipper Mark Ferber could buy anything he wants but he keeps patching that one for another Worrell/Tybee/Florida300 right before this race he sailed/carried it 1200 miles from St. Pete to Jacksonville on some kind of endurance run.

No I meant the Carbon N20

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=122003&g2_serialNumber=3

This Vid
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sc8mM8YpSk
  • [quote=MN3]
    DamonLinkous

As someone on the beach said... Gelcoat is cheap. icon_lol

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Come on over to Cocoa Beach and say hi today or Saturday morning for the last start to Daytona Beach.

Big party planned for after the finish at Daytona at the Ocean Deck right on the beach.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Didn't Sam just say it was upwards of 2k? (I can only imagine for that cost he was talking about a factory finish on a new race cat)

I don't care if it was free - I'm not driving my cat up a beach like that

[quote=DamonLinkous]
    MN3
    DamonLinkous

• Wait, was it the drunk guy who said this too?

[quote=DamonLinkous]
    MN3
    DamonLinkous

• [quote=MN3]Didn't Sam just say it was upwards of 2k? (I can only imagine for that cost he was talking about a factory finish on a new race cat)

I don't care if it was free - I'm not driving my cat up a beach like that

DamonLinkous
    MN3
    DamonLinkous

Yes,

That was a for a factory finish on a race cat. I would be closer to $3k really, if you get a pro like Lars Guck or similar to do the work. I paid $700 to have a few spots on my existing race boat brought up to factory finish standard in my area. You can probably find someone to shoot gelcoat for less, maybe $1000, but add in the fairing work and it goes up quickly. This is why many of the F18 owners won't do this race. After seeing the beach landings (and the launches aren't much different), I see you've come to the same conclusion MN3.

The other thing that keeps some of us on the fence, well, myself especially after racing my old N20 in the Tybee 500, and ground crewing for the inaugural Florida 300, is simply the lack of organization and clear direction from the race committee and organizers. Moving the finish line so a boat gets a time after receiving substantial assistance (really more like was rescued), is pretty much B.S. This is akin to letting Mischa get away with going inside the exclusion zone around the, because he is a pro sailor and you wouldn't want to upset him, and disqualifying everyone else, when the rules specifically state that everyone must stay out of the exclusion zone or you will get DSQ'd for the whole race. Guess what, the race committee hasn't changed all that much since then.

I will say I am glad they switched to SCHRS, that was a good move and the right way to handle the handicap and differences between boats.

Look, I get everyone is doing their best, but with the supposed big money and all the hype given before the race, we get 10 youtube videos and like 2 stories on the Florida 300 page. After the race is done, the hype outside the small cat sailing community goes away. Time is of the essence if you want to promote the race! I get that editing footage is time consuming, I get that trying to run the race and manage the media is a lot to handle (thank you Daemon for doing both and giving us as much info as you have!), but if there is that much money involved on the sponsor side, their should be enough to hire a dedicated media dude (or chick). One other note, outside of a few select teams perhaps, none of the sailors are seeing those dollars. I get that running a race like this costs money, and those costs should be covered by race sponsor dollars first, but if there are leftovers (not saying there are), the sailors should see some of that. They have a lot of money invested in clothing, gear (GPS + PLB alone is a $1k investment easy), the boat, the spare parts needed to run a campaign like this, and the >$1k in hotels for the week. Sailing isn't a cheap sport, never has been, and I'm really glad there are several youth teams on the water (thank you Sonnenklar and Lohmeyer) to hopefully keep this going. I'm just saying if you want to attract international teams, lowering entry fees and improving the overall race management is needed to turn this into the East Coast equivalent of a Round Texel or any big French or Dutch Raid.

Edited by samc99us on May 20, 2016 - 02:15 PM.
  • On a perhaps more positive note, has anyone from the race contacted http://www.catsailingnews.com/ ? I'm sure they would love to publish some news!
  • My favorite part of the race was surfing down a wave and hitting the beach under spinnaker at the end of each leg. David's least favorite part of the race was re-doing the bottom when we got back home...
  • My favorite part of the race was surfing down a wave and hitting the beach under spinnaker at the end of each leg. David's least favorite part of the race was re-doing the bottom when we got back home...

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.