Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18-2 center board  Bottom

• I recently purchased a Prindle 18-2 and I am going over the boat and I noticed bungy cord attached to the center boards at the pvc spacer on the bottom of the boards. Could someone please tell me the purpose and where they attach at the other end.
    Thanks in advance for your help and advice
  • I know the PVC spacer is a pivot that you slide down. I never used the bungy cord on my Prindle, they seems to always stay down for me
  • I know the PVC spacer is a pivot that you slide down. I never used the bungy cord on my Prindle, they seems to always stay down for me
  • HULLFLYERbungy cord attached to the center boards at the pvc spacer on the bottom of the boards. Could someone please tell me the purpose and where they attach at the other end.

A prior owner of this Prindle used to race it. The bungee cord goes from the pivot straight up and out of the centerboard well, and the other end loops around the sidestay anchor. This is used to bring the centerboard to the half way position and hold it there. Once the centerboard is where you want it, pull up on the bungee and wedge it tight against the board in the well, then release it. That should hold your centerboard in position.

This was not a factory installed item, but the designer, Richard Loufek, suggested this to racers who wanted to reduce wetted surface sailing downwind and allow a little more side slip if desired. It only has value when racing. If you raise the centerboard completely there is LOTS of cavitation in the well because there are no gaskets to seal it off. Due to the profile of the centerboard, bringing it up half way fills the well at the opening and minimizes cavitation.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.