Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Best VHF Radio for Beachcats  Bottom

• I am going to hijack my own thread and ask what radio works best for cat sailors. The Uniden Atlantis 270 /290 seem good but a cat sailors boating experience is much more demanding than the standard boaters. The long antenna seems cumbersome. I look forward to learning what works. Thanks.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I have a standard horizon HX400 that I purchased used on here a couple years ago. No complaints with it. I think just about any submersible handheld is OK.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • I split this topic off from the cell phone waterproof case discussion.

I've used the ICOM waterproof/floating radios for a long time and recommend them.

I used an ICOM M34 for 7 or 8 years before abuse got the better of it. Now I have new smaller (smaller is nice) ICOM M24, it's just as powerful and waterproof but the body is much smaller so it fits in my PDF pockets better.

http://www.amazon.com/Ico…io-5-Watts/dp/B004N8S1RY

The antennae is the same for the M34 and M24 which is why it looks so long in pictures of the smaller bodied M24.

I think they have newer models of both sizes, and more expensive models with more features.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/612TmyB0XSL._SL1500_.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I carry a Standard Horizon hand-held radio on my boat. It is a waterproof radio, but I take a belt & suspenders approach and put it in an Aquapac. It seems like a fine radio for my needs and was reasonably priced. I take the battery pack out at the end of the season to prevent corrosion and so far it has held up well after several years.

sm
  • I have had both a Uniden and a Standard Horizon. Both were about $120 after bargain hunting. I got about 3.5 years out of the Uniden and I have had the standard horizon for 2 and so far so good. I keep it on me so it gets wet a lot, and keeping it on you is really the only way to go, no telling when the boat will get away from you. Test them frequently, many areas have a frequency that you can do an auto check on.
  • I have to weigh in with the good experience I have had with my Standard Horizon HX471
    http://standardhorizon.co…ivisionID=3&isArchived=1

I don't know if they even make them any more. I got mine about 7-8 years ago. It does not float like newer models do, but it has AM/FM bands (among others) so I can listen to the radio while sailing if I want to. The big experience I want to mention is that when it was 3 years old I lost it on one of those days when the boat took off from the beach without me on it so I had to do one of those belly flops to get on, and it broke the clip holding my radio to my pfd. I didn't realize until I was a mile offshore. I thought it was lost. I sailed a while then went home. I got a call 4+ hours later from my sailing club saying it had just washed up on the beach, and it still worked.
  • Standard Horizon HX 280S , a friend who is a purser at an airliner bought it for me
    at west-marine Vancouver together with a dry-bag.
    It sits in my tramp-pocket since 2011, though its highly illegal in Europe,
    cause of its output (wattage), a vhf shop gave it a service every 2 years.
    Pros is the battery-life.
    Cons is the antenna, its really proun for breaking.
    I am at my third antenna now.

Regards, André

Edited by catmodding on Mar 08, 2016 - 04:18 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • I have the new Standard Horizon HX870. Problem I've found with all the hand helds is keeping it attached to my person in a way that doesnt get in the way. If it's cold then I have a lot of gear on and plenty of places to clip it to. But when the summer comes, we are usually in shallow busy water and I'm just in swim trunks and usually have to tie it to the boom or hang it from the diamond wires where they meet the mast.

I think the 870 is overkill but the big screen is nice and the ability to do GPS distress calls is nice since a broken/turtled cat doesnt show up well on the horizon.
  • I started off with a West Marine radio 20 years ago. I went thru 2 of them, replaced the battery every 2 years and the batteries were as much as the radios. Kept them in dry bag.

I currently have an Icom M-32 and 2 Icom M-88 radios all are 6 or 7 years old. The 88's are small and fit in vest pockets so both the skipper and crew have one. The 32 is a bigger radio and was bought for the ground crew for a distance race along the coast.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • West Marine. VHF#75. Small, compact, floats, very functional for emergency.
  • West Marine. VHF#75. Small, compact, floats, very functional for emergency.
  • I have one of these.
    Four years old, same lithium battery, but I exercise it throughout the year.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/…87605&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
    The price is good, and the range is better on the open ocean.
    Six watts, strobe light when immersed, and it floats.
    It will not throw you back onto the cat. :)
    This identical radio is branded and sold by West Marine for $30 more.

Edited by klozhald on Mar 16, 2016 - 09:09 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Bob,

If you are getting errors when trying to post, try clearing the cookies from TheBeachcats.com, close your browser, and log back on. It's usually a cookie issue. If you happen to be running anything that might interfere with cookies like a personal firewall or ad-blocker then add thebeahcats.com domain to the whitelist to allow all cookies.

Easy way to clear all the site cookies is to go to
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…/misc.php?action=cookies

Click on "Delete These Cookies", then close-open the browser and login.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkousBob,

If you are getting errors when trying to post, try clearing the cookies from TheBeachcats.com, close your browser, and log back on. It's usually a cookie issue. If you happen to be running anything that might interfere with cookies like a personal firewall or ad-blocker then add thebeahcats.com domain to the whitelist to allow all cookies.

Easy way to clear all the site cookies is to go to
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…/misc.php?action=cookies

Click on "Delete These Cookies", then close-open the browser and login.

Thanks Damon, that worked!
    Bob

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I use this, good VHF + GMRS & FRS
    http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-MR-HH450-Dual-All-Terrain-Radio/dp/B00ECGWZRO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00
  • I use this, good VHF + GMRS & FRS
    http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-MR-HH450-Dual-All-Terrain-Radio/dp/B00ECGWZRO?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.