Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Keeping a Cell Phone dry on board  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• What have you used to keep your cell phone in when on board? I suspect not all waterproof cases perform as advertised.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Interesting topic. I still use a megellan toughcase. It works with iphone 3 and 4 and provides additional battery and gps (only needed for iphone 3 which has a less sensitive gps). I bought it when i had an iphone 3 (or 3s whatever) basically to use an app to watch and record speed and tracks. It's nice to have that but i learned that you cannot pay attention to sailing and apps at the same time, you just kill the sailing experience. I couldn't even read the speed while sailing because my hands are busy with the main and tiller. I also learned that the cellphpne is a safety device if you have signal and battery (the app+gps+expectation to have screen on all the time will eat the battery very quickly). So i still use the toughcase but just fr the telephone. The problem today is that i need to borrow my wife's phone because mine is a 6 now. But for the price of the 6 (company phone, not even mine) i don't feel comfortable putting it on the water (i already drowned several but not that expensive). It makes more sense, when my wife finally changes her iphone 3 (i broke her iphone 4....), to keep it for the boat with a prepaid sim card. The toughcase is tough but the screen plastic can be damaged on a wreck or bad move or you can mess with the o-ring when closing it
    By the way, i use the phone hanging from my neck and inside the pfd. Having the phone with you is much better than inside the tramp bag.
    https://vimeo.com/157651543
  • I'm still intersteed to watch the speed. Maybe i will get a gps watch sometime
  • Might get a second phone just for on the water. A tracfone or some reconditioned older model I wouldn't mind seeing it sink.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I use an iPhone in a Lifeproof case. It's waterproof (supposedly), but I stick it inside of a waterproof Pelican case that is attached to the boat via a carabiner. I take it along for emergency communications if I manage to do something extremely stupid.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • But something stupid may quite lileky separate you from the boat.
    Also, if you have a phone for emergencies, you are faced to the possibility to use it for less urgent calls. If the phone is stored, you won't here the calls or won't be able or willing to answer or won't use it for a short call because it's too complicated. if you have your family on the shore it may become quite practical and give some freedom to those on the water or on the ground. On the video above it's my daughter telling me not to pick her up.

Edited by Andinista on Mar 06, 2016 - 06:35 AM.
  • So i can sail a little more until i get the time out call
  • I can tell you that every Aquapac I've owned has eventually leaked allowing my phone to get wet.

sm
  • That is good info. I am skeptical of soft cases in this application.

Maybe having 2 on board is a good plan. One in a hard case on the tramp and one in a soft case in a pocket knowing it is a yearly replacement item.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I used to carry a Iphone with lifeproof case on the boat. The lifeproof case is the real deal, and worth every penny for an Iphone. I have no concerns about that.

But, the iphone screen is flipping hard to see in the full sun. Trying to make a call with wet fingers through the case or bag is all but impossible. I would NOT rely on a cell phone to help you out in any emergency situation.

A handheld VHF is 1000% better for this situation.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Lifeproof case.
  • Agreed, Lifeproof is the best case I've found so far. I even use the Nuud which does not have any cover over the glass and in 2 years it hasn't failed.

I carry my phone in the pocket on my vest so it's always wet and have had no problems. I have it paired to my bluetooth speaker for tunes when we're out for a cruise and use the camera to take pictures.

Like others though sometimes the glare can cause issues and it's tough sometimes with wet fingers to get the phone to respond. I used a stylus one day and it worked great but it was a two handed effort which is difficult at times.

VHF is great and the best option for what its designed for but if you need the phone for the apps Lifeproof is my recommendation.

tm
  • Lifeproof, but make sure the plastic window on the back that shows the apple logo...dumb, doesnt come unstuck. I noticed mine was letting water in recently. Other than that I just keep it in the gear bag on the tramp and it's been fine.
  • I am on my second otter case - they work well... they don't float (ugg)

pocket pc's (Phones) are great and can be very useful with radar, pandora for my blue tooth radio, and more, but don't take it if you can't afford to wreck it.

Also, if relying on the radar (this is the main reason i carry one) be sure your radar loop is a current loop .years ago I misread an old radar loop on an early iphone - my cat went "dukes of hazard" (air-born) with that mistake.
  • Keep it simple, a zip-lock bag.

Use them every distance race & never had an issue.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • You "use them"? how?

do you mean you actual use it for calls, pics, video, gps, bluetooth or other?
    or do you mean you have it stowed away somewhere in ziplocks and you haven't had a leak?

TylerHKeep it simple, a zip-lock bag.

• MN3You "use them"? how?

do you mean you actual use it for calls, pics, video, gps, bluetooth or other?
    or do you mean you have it stowed away somewhere in ziplocks and you haven't had a leak?

TylerHKeep it simple, a zip-lock bag.

Used it for calls, and plenty of pics during RTI.
    Keep it in my life jacket pocket.

No leaks yet!

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • nice!
    I lost an iphone about 13 months ago and it cost me over $400 to replace so I am not so willing to risk my phone with that "light" of waterproofing

I keep mine in a drycase, in a ziplock, in a drybox

Hope yours continues works without incident !
  • bachoBut, the iphone screen is flipping hard to see in the full sun. Trying to make a call with wet fingers through the case or bag is all but impossible. I would NOT rely on a cell phone to help you out in any emergency situation.

Agreed.
    I have a great app, MotionX-GPS, on my iPhone that I have tried to use racing multiple times.
    The failure is that it simply cannot be read on the water, on the two models of iPhone I have tried.
    There is a high contrast setting, and the Lifeproof cover is absolutely clear, but the sun is just too bright and the screen not bright enough.
    The situation is very frustrating. The app is feature loaded, and I have put it /in a ziplock/ inside a peanut butter container/ inside one of the hulls/ to record my race, and it did so very well.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • There are ziplocks and there are ziplocks. I recently used a Sea to Summit case for my iPhone 5 and we turtled (first time ever) and it was a bit disconcerting to see our gear completely underwater with bubbles coming up but fortunately they were only from the mast. D'oh! Have to seal it! Anyway, it is one robust ziplock and I will be getting one. Supposedly has a touch-through membrane.

http://www.seatosummit.com/waterproof-gear/?sub_wpg=2

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.