Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

South Jersey Hobie Centric Vacation  Bottom

• Hi All,

Was contemplating going to NJ late June this year. Want warmer water and be able to bring the Hobie 16. Anyone sail the2l Egg Harbor to Cape May region? Would sort of prefer less waves as we get plenty of those in CT so Bay sailing might be fun to try for a week. What are rules for cats on beachee? Is registration of out of state boats an issue? I am sort of familiar with the towns from vacations as a kid. Thanks.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • Sounds like you'd be looking to sail on the delaware bay. I know there are Hobies that sail out of Cape May on the delaware bay, but I don't know the specifics. You might check with Hobie Fleet 443 which is based outside of Cape May. There are also some good spots farther up the coast if you're interested in sailing on Barnegat Bay. Most beach towns in NJ don't allow Hobie launching on the ocean beaches, and those that do typically require an annual registration with the boat left on the beach for the entire season. You may also want to check with the Ocean City dealer Bay Cats.

sm
  • Hello,

Local dealer of Ocean City responding here. There are multiple Hobie beaches from Ventnor and Margate through Ocean City, Sea Isle City, Stone Harbor and Cape may(Del River side). I know for a fact Ocean City has opened up quite a bit and Sea Isle has the largest reclusive beach by far! 60 spots and no swimmers aloud! There are great communities at all of the beaches. I meet a handful of local sailors along the whole coast of Jersey who support BAYCATS. Most locations try to organize a regatta once a year on their prospective beaches. I try to make my rounds and show support as well.

Alex
  • Came across this on ebay awhile back.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/…e0161:g:6e0AAOSw9oVdyYIe
  • DogboySounds like you'd be looking to sail on the Delaware Bay. I know there are Hobies that sail out of Cape May on the Delaware Bay, but I don't know the specifics. You might check with Hobie Fleet 443 which is based outside of Cape May. There are also some good spots farther up the coast if you're interested in sailing on Barnegat Bay. Most beach towns in NJ don't allow Hobie launching on the ocean beaches and those that do typically require an annual registration with the boat left on the beach for the entire season. You may also want to check with the Ocean City dealer Bay Cats.

sm

Where in Stone Harbor? I ask as my family still owns a house in Stone Harbor that I go to once every other year for a family reunion. I was told I would have to go to Cape May, or up to Long Beach Island to launch off the beach. It would be nice to have a cat to sail while I am there.

Thanks

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • JohnESWhere in Stone Harbor? I ask as my family still owns a house in Stone Harbor that I go to once every other year for a family reunion. I was told I would have to go to Cape May, or up to Long Beach Island to launch off the beach. It would be nice to have a cat to sail while I am there.

Hi John, wish I had some personal knowledge/experience to help with this (I don't), but out of interest I searched and it looks like you need to go to "Hobie Beach" at the extreme south end of Stone Harbor (parking lot at 2nd Ave and 122 St.) for sailing off the dedicated Hobie Cat beach. Clicking on the photos here shows lots of boats on the beach in 2018-19:

https://www.google.com/ma…4!4d-74.7709349?hl=en-US

Don't see any evidence of rentals; looks like you'd need to try to hook up with a local who might want a crew. I know when I traveled to Ventura I was lucky enough to do just that through the kind assistance of a generous local I met right here on thebeachcats.com (wink, wink) and ended up having some unforgettable cat sailing adventure to the Channel Islands - so it can be done!

Thanks again, and best regards,

Edited by CatFan57 on Apr 10, 2020 - 09:51 AM.

--
    1998 P18.2
    Sailing out of SHBCC, NJ
    --
  • John,

Another option to consider. I rent out multiple Hobies i.e. Wave, Getaway, T2 and Adventure island. If I had more room and it was safer to rent faster boats I would! If you're in the Ocean City area swing through Baycats.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.