Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H17 Jib  Bottom

• I have a H17 that I want to rig a jib onto. anyone have any ideas of hpw to re rig forestay to accommodate a jib? Thx

Dayglopirate
  • There is a factory Hobie kit which converts a Hobie 17 into a Hobie 17 Sport.

It includes a lot of pieces including a bow spreader bar, furler, and new shrouds, and I think even a second trap set.

Here's a link to the installation instructions for the kit.
    https://static.hobiecat.c…achments/52995610z52.pdf

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • The Hobie 17 Sport (jib package) does not include a second trap. Running two traps (on each side) would not be recommended due to the added stress on the mast as well as the whole boat. The stock shrouds are also used with the Sport however the forestay arrangement is changed out to accomodate the jib and spreader bar system. The boom is also removed and a "boomlet" is installed to make it easier for a second person to cross sides during tacks and jibes.

sm
  • DogboyThe Hobie 17 Sport (jib package) does not include a second trap. Running two traps (on each side) would not be recommended due to the added stress on the mast as well as the whole boat.

Not so much I think.
    When loading the traps, the main effect is to share the load of the windward shroud. Yes, with a second trap you enable the boat to support stronger wind, but if you are below that extreme condition I wouldn't say that you are loading the mast or rig or hulls a lot more.
    Imagine that you suddenly loose your windward shroud and now it's just the sailors on the traps who are holding the mast (assuming it's enough..), is that really worse compared to having no traps and just the shroud? Actually your hull will be less stressed without the shroud pulling the shroud adjuster. As long as you are not tensioning the leeward shroud, you are rather sharing than adding forces. It is very clear when you start loading the leeward shroud, you can test it and get the feeling of what is the wind equivalent to one or two people on the trap. In my experience it's pretty low on an 18ft cat.

Edited by Andinista on Jan 12, 2016 - 10:05 AM.
  • I understand what you're saying and you're correct that in theory, by adding a second trap, you are just transferring a portion of the rig load from the shroud to the trap wire (the crew weight would be supported by the trap wire rather than the shroud, so total load is unchanged). But in reality, when you double trap, you place more load on the rig and the boat as a whole because you are allowing the rig to generate more power. This puts more load on the mast, hulls, crossbeams, rudders, etc.

The H17 was originally designed as a one-man boat and in many respects, it is lightly built (particularly the crossbars and their connections to the hulls). Hobie kind of pushed the limit of the design IMO by adding a jib kit and implying that the boat can adequately handle two passengers. I've personally sailed my H17 with two adults on board and the boat sits low in the water and just feels over stressed. Double trapping on a H17 would magnify the situation and it's not something I would suggest based on my personal experience with the boat. If you and your crew are light weight, you might be able to get away with it and not break anything, but really if you want a boat you can double trap on, you should get a H16, H18, H20, Tiger, etc.

sm
  • DogboyThe H17 was originally designed as a one-man boat and in many respects, it is lightly built (particularly the crossbars and their connections to the hulls). Hobie kind of pushed the limit of the design IMO by adding a jib kit and implying that the boat can adequately handle two passengers.

sm

I agree about the weight carrying capabilities of the H17, it doesn't have much. I only mentioned the second trap because I thought it was included in the jib kit. I only found the installation instructions, never could find an actual list of what was contained in the $1,000 Hobie jib kit.

You could certainly double trap from the H17 but in my opinion only if the two crew were very light, like less than 250 lbs total light. This is based on never owning a H17 but seeing lots of them sailed with a range of weights. Even used to have one Hobie 17 Sport locally that sailed with two crew of total weight like 350 lbs. and the thing was a submarine! (but they still had fun so... )

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.